Isn't It A Waste Of Money To Buy Expensive Gifts For A Baby?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by littlewitch66 • Sep 5, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I have friends who have just celebrated their child's first birthday. They bought and received many expensive gifts for their daughter and while some of these are nice to keep like a silver charm bracelet, a baby of one or two years would probably rather play with the box or wrapping paper. They also threw a big party in a hall too whereas a young child would be just as happy with a few friends and a little tea party at home.

Even though they obviously love their child and made a big effort to make her happy, isn't this extravagent for such a young child who doesn't know any different?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree to this. Buying something for the baby need not be expensive unless it is for the future. You can give a 1-year old baby a toy that he can play when he is 5 or maybe clothes that he can wear when he is 3 or 4. Like an expensive crib, it is a waste to spend much when you know that the baby will be using the crib for a short time only. What we usually give the baby as gift is money. At least the parents can make use of it in the way they like.

3. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I think everything revolves around what one can afford and no matter how much that is involved, it can never be equal to the joy parents get from the coming of a new baby into the home. Let's just imagine a situation where a couple have been having issues with the fruit of the womb for many years that they even gave up hope of having their own child which made them go for an adoption. now, if after years, the wife gets pregnant and delivers a baby, do you think the family, if they are financially okay won't spend well to celebrate the arrival of the baby? I think those situations are when you see parents buying expensive gifts for the baby not minding the cost.

In as much as I feel that to save cost, that doing so does not look nice, I still feel those parents do so out of emotions for the arrival of the new born baby. So, they feel no regret in doing so.

4. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    It is a waste of money because a 1 year old baby is not even aware of the prices of things they play with. The parents are the only people who are excited by it because they feel they can afford their babies needs.

If it is their first child, then it is understandable that they are overwhelmed by emotions. They are excited that their child is growing and they are expressing their joy through buying expensive gifts.

5. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you Linda. Such extravagant affairs for little babies are often a way for the parents to show that they can afford it, love of any parents, even poor ones can not be questioned at all. A single piece of expensive gift such as a silver bracelet or something similar is okay, we can preserve it as a memory of the baby's childhood and then maybe pass it on to him or her as they grow up, a keepsake for their own babies. But expensive toys, clothes etc. are actually meaningless. Here in India, we usually gift money which can be used for the essentials or put into a bank account as a fund for the babuy's education. Many people here are also used to gifting a bit of gold, one or two grams of pure gold coins which are treated again as investment for the baby's education later on.

6. DavidLee

DavidLeeMember

Threads:
    Yes it expensive, and inappropriate to others. It's adviceable if one is not financially stable, to just throw a simple party for their child and personally buy them what would make them much happier like toys and snacks. But, let the visitors to bring whatever they want. These expensive gifts are long-lasting, and big celebrations (parties) are always Moments-For-Life to be remembered years after when the child grows if u capture the moments in pictures as well.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To each their own celebration. They can afford it and love to lavish each other with very good gifts. They must love to give each other expensive gifts. I would rather just have clothes for the baby for the baby will outgrow clothes so fast. I go to thrift shops, and I buy my clothes. I see baby clothes there too, what a big savings it is to have thrift shops to buy from.

8. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    If the parents can actually afford to buy expensive gifts for their child on his/her birthday, it would be entirely up to them to do so. A child's first, seventh, and 18th birthday are generally celebrated in our culture so I wouldn't be surprised if the gift even goes beyond a silver charm bracelet. If I can really afford it, I would have marked the day with an even more valuable jewelry because jewelry is a form of investment. The baby may not realize it at that point, but he/she will know its value in due time. It's a different story, though, if the parents had to borrow money to buy those lavish gifts and throw a big party. I wouldn't do that. I only have one child and it is more important for me to save money for him and for his future needs.

9. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I had a birthday party for my daughter's first birthday but nothing extravagant. I had it at my house and only invited a few people. The first Christmas that my daughter was actually old enough to help unwrap her presents she played with the box and not the ball that I had bought her. Little kids don't know the difference of having a big party for their birthday and I would rather wait until they are older to throw them a more expensive party since they will remember it more.

10. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I believe this can be shocking for some people but usually, the parents want what is best for their child, it doesn't matter how small it is and that child doesn't understand a thing about him. The parents have the satisfaction that they have made all that possible to make that day special.

11. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I would say it depends on the family's financial strength to buy expensive gifts for their child if it's worth it or not. Take note that a child is one of the most precious and priceless thing in the world, some might give the entire world and even sacrifice their own lives just to have kids of their own. So eventually when this child comes, buying expensive gifts to show love can never be said to be excessive.

A family that is buoyant enough should have any worries in buying expensive gifts for their children especially on their birthday, an event that only celebrated once in a year. As long as the money is there, I don't see anything wrong with spending it on your own flesh and blood. It's definitely worth it because if you can't give to your children, would it be a stranger that deserves to enjoy your wealth?

The only situation where I would consider spending lavishly on a child is when such family doesn't have the financial capacity to do so, maybe it's an average family but trying to over impress their kids with expensive gifts, then I would outrightly say it's not worth it. Such money spent on the expensive gifts should be channelled to much important needs.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well yes it would seem that way, unless you can find a way to get more use of it or pass it on or something. Most of the time the simpler the toys the better, at that age and even at older ages as well, in my opinion at least.

13. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree with you. I think especially a one year old baby prefers to just crawl or walk to explore, and spend time with the parents or closed family members. I remember reading a picture story that the parent bought very expensive toy for the young child, and the young child was really excited about it. After opening the box, the child was happily remove the toy and only playing with the box. My one year old child seems to be more excited about the things we are using at home, such as spoons, pots, bottles, etc and he doesn't really play with the toys as much. He also likes to walk around, climb up and down to explore the house.

14. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Considering only the financial aspect, yes... But when it comes to quality, I think efforts shouldn't be measured. It's obvious that not everyone can buy expensive things, but if they have the money for that... Why not?

15. TheOtherSide

TheOtherSideActive Member

Threads:
    Well I would understand if it's for a 1-year old baby's birthday celebration and christening. I think it's one of the most celebrated day in a man's life, so people really tends to spend a little more. Actually some people celebrate the new born's first birthday and christening at the same time to save money while at the same time make it lavish for the visitors and the god parents who would attend the celebration.

16. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I think as long as the parent can afford it then it's ok to throw away lavish parties and buy expensive gifts for their children, since it's their money anyway. Just look at how celeb parents pamper their kids with expensive stuff, even jewelry-laced strollers. Also, I think it's done to impress people and not really the baby, lol.