Isn't It Unhealthy & Immature to "Eat Dessert First"?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mythman • Jun 12, 2014.

1. Nicky

NickyNew Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't eat dessert in the first place for the very reason of health, but live and let live. Now I'm not one of those people who are just content to let people destroy themselves, but this isn't really a battle worth fighting. They've already made the decision to eat dessert so it doesn't really matter what order they eat it in. Actually, it might be better this way if they were going to eat it anyway. Think about it... People can always make room for dessert even if they're full so maybe they'll eat less the rest of the meal since they've already had dessert. I don't know, it's just a thought. Interesting thread...

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ummm no.. you get your nutrients whether you eat it now or later. Food is food.. nutrients are nutrients. Some will be cancelled out by others and you need some to even absorb others, so it's good to get to know them and how they work. But eating dessert first will not shorten your life span LOL. The foods you eat in general will and I bet you're eating a ton of them. It really doesn't matter if you eat garbage before garbage now does it? It's all the same thing when you break it down.. mainly sugars and salt.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    You can eat however you want, what makes a food healthy or not is what's in that food, not the order in which you eat it.
    Eating the main course first and then dessert or reversing that order is physically meaningless, everything goes into your stomach and gets mixed up...

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yes it does make a difference! If you have too much dessert AFTER your meal, you can stop eating; but if you fill up with dessert BEFORE your meal, you end up eating dessert INSTEAD OF the healthy part of the meal!

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're eating the right foods, it absolutely doesn't matter. I can eat all the dessert I want, first, in between or after.. because it's all real food. If you really are eating healthy meals though, with dessert being garbage, I would sort of agree with you, depending on the person. If you'll not have room for the healthy foods after your dessert, then you should probably eat your meal first. Again, it depends on so much. Most people don't eat the best foods.. their healthy food isn't all that healthy if it's from a grocery store, but I suppose it's better than ice cream for the main course lol.

6. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Someone's a bit prideful I see.

Anyway, to get to the actual thread topic, why on earth would it be an issue to eat it first? If you're eating a steak and a...tiramasu, it doesn't matter what order you've eaten those two things in. They're still going to be digested in the same place, in the same way. They're still going to go into your body whether you want them to or not.

There's no issues with eating your dessert first. Or are we going to say that we should eat the main course before the starters now?

7. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    The logic behind your theory doesn't make complete sense, I mean I see where you're coming from but technically you'd still be eating your entire meal anyway so when you eat dessert doesn't matter, you'd be getting all the nutrition. Plus, there is nothing wrong with dessert as long as your portion sizes are reasonable, I have noticed that people who completely avoid dessert tend to binge eat it when they can't help themselves anymore.

8. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Do you people not STOP EATING WHEN YOU'RE FULL?

I mean; I understand if you know beforehand that you're gonna eat everything placed in front of you no-question, but I don't live like that.

9. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    It isn't immature, it could be unhealthy if you eat a HUGE piece of cake and then don't eat your meal. But most desserts are not that big at restaurants and as long as you eat your food too it won't hurt. Not to mention people probably generally don't do it at every meal, every day, so it won't hurt. Besides, if that is what they want to do, leave then along and let them do it. It is no one else's business, but their own.

10. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Ah yes; Live & Let Die (Paul McCartney & Wings)

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would bother with that statement, lol. Because even if it is a bit unhealthy and not ideal to eat dessert 1st, people will do whatever they want anyway, so we can't control if they eat the dessert first or not. So I guess we should just let them be. I personally don't eat desert before the main meal though.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with eating dessert first unless you allow it to spoil your meal and you end up not eating it. Like many things, it only depends on the individual, as anyone can go about anything a million different ways as long as the goals are ultimately accomplished. It's why I'm baffled why so many people are insistent on meddling with other people's business when they are obviously just enjoying themselves the way they want to.

13. hanseung

hanseungNew Member

Threads:
    There's no point in restricting yourself for your whole life - live a little, have some fun. I've only eaten dessert first a couple times in my life, or had it simply as a meal such as breakfast or dinner; however, I don't find that this has affected me in a negative way. In fact, it makes me happy. The only problem is if you don't eat in moderation and end up scoffing down 5 tubs of ice-cream, or if you eat dessert, then dinner, then dessert... Dessert makes people happy - I save the best for last at every chance I can get, so I usually eat dessert last - and I don't think it's unhealthy and immature to eat it first.