It is time to upgrade this old computer!

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Jatelo2 • Nov 12, 2012.

1. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I remember some years ago when I bought my Compaq evo D500 desktop PC, it was the the thing then. Currently, however, it looks like a joke with one of the slowest speed. Funnily It can't even run a Dial up mobile modem without 'hanging'! So, after careful though on whether it was time to recycle or upgrade, I have decided to upgrade this PC. Its current spec are as follows:

Processor: 1.7 GHz
    RAM: 256 MB (SDRAM)
    Hard Disk: 20 (IDE)

In your opinion if (for whatever reason) you decided to upgrade this PC..what would be the best upgrade. Please share your views and thanks in advance.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Most laptops will give out random problems like these such as battery problems, screen problems, keyboard/touch pad problems, etc. Nowadays, the best bet is really to just find a brand that suits you and is durable, and just always buy that brand, at least that's how I do it. Acer might be an okay brand, I haven't really used much of their products, but if I were to suggest to you a good product, I'd say buy either Mac or Lenovo. Those to me are the two brands that are at the top of their game right now, and they make products that won't break within a year or two.

3. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    Yes, I think you sure upgrade your computer soon. Their are plenty of cheap laptop and desktop computers under $600 dollars. I found an excellent Acer Aspire laptop for $245. You could really find some good ones, just give a look around stores.

4. Thorarin

ThorarinNew Member

Threads:
    Haha, it's definitely time to upgrade. The first question you should ask yourself is what are you going to be using the computer for? Are you going to be browsing your Email and browsing the web? Are you planning on playing the latest games? After, you should ask yourself whether you would prefer the portability of a laptop or want a PC that you can leave at home (often you get more for less with a desktop PC).

Next, give yourself a budget.. It's easy to get carried away with these things. Do you know anything about building computers? You can build yourself a powerful system that will last for years for a good price, pre-built computers are generally more expensive.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any experience with Acer notebooks, but a little research I found the following link:

I hope this works. If not, then you might need to replace the battery.

6. EmoPopsicle

EmoPopsicleNew Member

Threads:
    Laptops are notorious for random problems that seemingly come out of nowhere. It's generally due to the fact that there isn't adequate cooling involved, and with extended usage, the parts get overheated and something goes wrong in them. I personally would buy a new cheap laptop for ~$400 and not expect much out of it, simply because laptops are not reliable at all.

7. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    Sorry for the confusing post on Acer. It has been moved to anew thread. I however appreciate you input. Concerning the Acer Aspire notebook, we can continue the discussion on the new thread. Now about the Old Compaq, I must say that* I'm getting more informed..lets keep the discussion running under this thread..

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

8. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    @EmoPopsicle@EmoPopsicle Right, but it seems like it probably wouldn't be the fault of the computer, but rather the owner.

Note, some interesting facts came up. For instance, the demand for small laptop batteries and laptops accounts for some of the heat problems. Also, scientists are researching ways to use a micro air-conditioner to cool computer chips. Nonetheless, ironically, the same article says such stuff are unneeded additions. However, I beg to differ. If small laptop batteries cannot be kept cool with fans etc.- then that shows fans sometimes don't work.

Of course, what I said above seems to contradict my original statement blaming the owner. Well, that's true, but then again, the owner can still take precautions - considering the fact he knows he has a small laptop which has a good chance of overheating.

#8Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is a very private issue, after all... What is old for you may not be old for me, and vice versa. It's the need that makes us want to evolve (whether in the material, professional or personal aspect).

But yes, I think you should update your PC. :p

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My PC is more than 7 years old and it also needs an upgrade. However, I don’t use complicated programs and my usual operation are the spreadsheet and word processor aside from the internet. That’s why I am just waiting for my budget to be completed so I can buy a new computer. Based on my study, upgrading an old PC is not worth the cost so it is better to invest on a new one. One technician said that an upgrade is okay for a PC that is 2 years old but for older than that, it might not be practical.

11. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well those specs are pretty low on all accounts, so just from looking at that I would say sure. The second part is that you can get some pretty good speed for cheap, but of course it just depends on what you are using it for.

12. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    This looks like a very old model in that case. You can see that such models surely have their own share of issues. You can install Linux on this type of model. And I am sure it will work just fine. But the way things work on with the old computers is that it's better to retire them. You may not find much out of those computers these days.

13. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I'm using an ancient laptop but I think yours is older. Mine is a 10 year old Acer laptop which is still in a good condition however, it now runs a bit sluggish especially when running Chrome or multiple softwares at once.

I'm planning on upgrading my laptop and I have my eyes on Dell or Toshiba since they are my most trusted brands :) Choosing the type of laptop you'll get depends on your usability as well. But since you're already upgrading, get at least an i3 since it is fast and can handle most of moderate computer tasks.

14. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    Might as well buy separate pieces of a PC and build them or get someone who can build it. Upgrading that kind of PC isn't really good since the motherboard is old for sure and it can only support certain processors or ram. Might as well build a new one, try to get a fourth or fifth generation Intel i5 or a fourth generation Intel i7 will do. I just find it a waste of money if you go out there and buy a pre-built PC which costs a lot. If you build your own PC, you can at least put whatever you think is useful for you.

15. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I do think it is definitely time for you to upgrade to a nice fast laptop. There are plenty to choose from so I suggest looking at the latest ones available and simply install a PC cleaner and anti virus to keep things nice and safe.