Item Packaging Arriving In Poor Condition

Discussion in Online Shopping started by DrRipley • Mar 1, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've ordered multiple times from online stores and half the time the packaging arrives in very poor condition. I rarely return it just because of the packaging since the products are always still very good and functional, but it kind of annoys me that I can't enjoy having the experience of pending a nice and minty brand new item.

I'd just like to ask you guys if you experience the same thing when getting packages from online. Is this normal or should I start complaining to the sellers or even the shipping companies?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I have experienced that as well, but we can't control when the box or plastic box or carton gets damaged in transit, so the most important thing is that only the packaging is damaged and the item remains intact. I only had one experience where the item itself was damaged because it was placed in an envelope instead of a box.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know the packaging is part of the experience like having a nice carrier bag in the store when you buy something. It does annoy me, but if it cuts costs or the shipping was free, then I don't have much say in it. Sometimes the plastic packaging is better than a cardboard box as it doesn't get wet, but doesn't look as attractive.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    No, not really.

Do you think it's the companies you're ordering from? If it's happening frequently, it sounds like maybe it's an issue with your postal service instead. You might want to file a complaint!

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's never bothered me. As long as the contents are intact, I'm happy. It's just what happens in transit and I think complaining to either sellers or handlers would appear quite unreasonable.

6. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    I order about 90% of everything online and I rarely have packaging issues, so I'm not sure I would say it is "normal." Every once in a while I'll have a packaging issue, but it's only a few times a year, and it's usually something that has come from another country so I assume it's been through the ringer being internationally shipped. If you're getting beat up packages from the same place repeatedly, it may be time to rethink where you shop online unfortunately. If your packages are all beat up, it may be time to look into your mail service. I have had friends have problems with things like this with their mail carriers. Thankfully, I have not encountered this issue with mine!

7. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    This has happened often when I have ordered things off the internet to arrive at my door. Once I ordered a baby crib mattress from Babies R Us. You would think it would arrive in a box. No it arrived wrapped in clear plastic and a large black garbage type bag. It had a tear in it of course. I had to drive to the store that did not carry in stock to begin with to return the mattress. In addition, I ordered a toy through Amazon. I was amazed at how the box arrived all taped up and squashed. The toy inside was fine. Since we are paying to the shipping and handling, we should probably complain that it did not arrive in the manner in which $9.99 shipping cost should pay for Or whatever the shipping cost would be. However, is it really worth the complaint if it doesn't happen often and the item inside is fine or it can be returned. It is like we could be using our time better then complaining about such a thing in the end.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I can't say that I have ever received any packages in bad condition. Everything that I ever bought on Amazon or e-bay arrived well-packaged and without any problems. I have also bought things from other companies online, and they've never given me any cause for complaint.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll try to explain why this happens . . . a lot. Some people who sell stuff online are probably doing it for the first time. They don't know packaging is very important. So they pack whatever you've bought in whatever packaging material they'll get hold off and send it. As long as the items you receive are OK, they [the sellers] don't think it's all that bad. Sometimes though it's the shipping companies who should be blamed.

10. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    The whole point of packaging is to take the damage rather than the product itself. Personally I'd be glad that the product survived such a rough journey that the packaging was unable to handle. If the product itself is damaged then that's a different story.

11. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I have had that happen, especially ordering off amazon. It's kind of upsetting, especially if you intended to gift the item.

I once ordered a pretty expensive cream for myself, and the box it came in was all damaged. That bothered me too, because for such an expensive item I would want the package to look like new - because to me I don't know if it got damaged in shipping, or they already just acquired a bunch of damaged items.

Funny when I order from Target, Bath and Body Works, or Nordstrom's, I never have that problem, it is just with Amazon.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree that it's annoying when things arrive in damaged packaging, especially if you ordered them for gifts, because you don't want the recipient to think that you're giving them used items.
    I usually let it slide, but I think I'm going to start complaining because an item that I ordered for my daughter for Christmas came in a damaged package that made it look like I bought the thing at Goodwill or a garage sale. New items should be in minty packaging with all the plastic and seals intact.
    If you pay for a new item, it should at least arrive looking new.

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on how badly the item is damage during shipping. Sometimes, I get packages that are in awful condition but the item I purchase is perfectly fine without a scratch on it. There was one occasion when the item was damage during delivery due to poor packaging by the seller. This was on eBay and I sent the item back to the seller and requested a refund. It's very rare I get items that are consistently in horrible conditions upon delivery.

14. juancarlos

juancarlosMember

Threads:
    Thing is that only the packaging is damaged and the item remains intact.I know packaging is a Important part of experience.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't always order items online all that often, but when I do order them, I will only often order them from trusted websites such as Ebay and Amazon. The packaging has never really been an issue for me, though there have been one or two times where the packaging could have been in a little bit better condition. Thankfully nothing has ever been damaged though.

16. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    You should absolutely reach out to the company! This has happened to me quite a few times and often the company won't even ask you to return the problem, they'll just send you a new whatever. I order candles from Bath and Body Works all the time and on two seperate occasions now I've received a broken candle and both times I let them know and thy sent me replacement candle rigt away. Most retailers want their customers to be happy so they will return!

17. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Sorry to hear that!

I personally don't have any complaints to make about any store that I placed orders at. Though the sole impediment I've ever encountered is that a product from Amazon once arrived in a very poor-packaged box. It just took someone a single move and could steal my $150-worth items from there easily. I complained to them, showed proof that it did in fact arrive that way, and they issued a coupon of the same value that could be redeemed at any amount I wanted, even $1. Neat!