It's Autism Awareness Month!

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by JosieP • Apr 4, 2013.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most people don't know a thing about Autism unless they know somebody personally. I suppose that goes for most things in life. Autism though, is something everyone will encounter at some point, hence the collaborative voice getting louder and the fight for them getting stronger.

Do you know anything about Autism? Media paints an unrealistic picture of it unless speaking FOR it.. even then it can be off. Media and even some Autism advocacy groups, has many parents of Autistic children fearing it. Me? I couldn't imagine my child without it. Nor could he. There's a whole spectrum though and every person with Autism is unique. There's a saying; "Once you meet someone with Autism, you've met someone with Autism". No two are alike.

It's not something to fear, and everyone will encounter it, even if they don't realize it. So I really hope those who know anything about it could contribute to this thread and spread a little awareness for these amazing people. If you are someone who doesn't know much about it and you don't want to find the time to learn about it, all I ask of you is to open your mind when it comes to differences. Sometimes people judge when they don't know what they're judging and that needs to stop. We're ALL different.. and that's flippin' awesome, lol.

2. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's wonderful to have an Autism Awareness month! I personally have some friends with children who are on the spectrum... so it's great to get awareness out there.

3. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I also think it is great we have Autism month and i think more people should learn more about it because it is true no two are alike. People also need to realize that just because people are different doesn't mean that they don't live a fulfilled life. Every life is just as important as the next and we should all learn to appreciate that we are all different in some sort of way and not try and judge what we know nothing about.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So true. My child is the most caring, happy, considerate, honest person I've ever met. He gives everyone a chance, but he doesn't get that in return. It's the invisible disability with so many of them, so people just see this awkward person. Or a depressed person. Or a misbehaved person. Or a hyper person with no control. If someone is very obviously different from us, disability or not, accept them as is and get to know them. I promise they will offer something to your life and vice versa. The word "normal" really makes my blood boil these days. Nobody can tell me my child or anyone with Autism isn't normal. I know tons of people without it that I could label the same way lol. And almost everyone on the planet has a "symptom" of Autism, these people just have more of them than you. And in a lot of cases, they're very lucky for it. It makes them people everyone should be happy to know and aspire to become. I hate how so many of them feel like they're less because they don't fit in the "normal" box. I'd be sad for them if they did! :)

5. Rehne

RehneNew Member

Threads:
    Excellent post. I agree with your statement many people around us face this problem but sometime we don't know about them. The awareness month is great for people who don't know about Autism. Your positive thinking is so helpful to me. Getting this content I am so benefited.

#5Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish more people would use positive thinking to guide them in situations involving Autism. Especially parents. More than anything, awareness from people with Autism themselves, needs to reach the families so they know that the fear tactics out there are just that. People with Autism need to stay positive as well.. accepting themselves comes first, no more trying to cram themselves into an overflowing box when they're capable of creating new ones. Cookie cutter people are no fun, why try to be one? ;)

7. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have a nephew who has autism. I remember how my sister took him to doctor after doctor trying to determine what was actually wrong with him. She has two sons, this one was the oldest by one year, yet his brother seem to be more talkative and aware of the world around him. My sister wondered if her oldest son was mentally retarded, or had a hearing problem. Doctors didn't seem to be able to determine the cause. It wasn't until her son was enrolled in school and placed into a special needs class, that one of the teachers told her that he was a bright intelligent young man but he had autism which meant he saw the world in a different way. To my sister this was a relief, suddenly she knew that what he son had did have a name, and that there were ways to deal with it. In other words she wasn't afraid of it, nor was her husband, they were relieved that they knew once and for all that there was a reason for him being so with drawn.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's great that they were so positive about it, he's a lucky boy. I was the same way. It was more well known by the time my son was diagnosed and my mother works with special needs so we were prepared for the answers anyway. We don't live by the label though.. the label is there so he can get the help he needs if he ever needs it, but until then, we know his personal hurdles and we now have the tools to help him over them. It's a fascinating thing.. from one end of the spectrum to the other, their minds are unbelievable.. even the ones nobody thought were in there. Anyway, I'm glad your family got their answers.. it is a huge relief to finally know and to know how to move forward.