Judging Today's Music

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by May102014 • Jul 8, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Music will always evolve and change throughout the years. I love music so much but I find myself not really drawn to what I hear on the radio. Sometimes there are independent artists who have work that unfortunately never make it to the mainstream. Sometimes I feel music companies have commercialize certain genres to the point of turning them into trash. I find myself simply listening to music from the early 2000s on back. Does anyone else find the current state of music not all that appealing to them?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I very much feel that the current music is not appealing. Maybe it's the fact I just don't like change but even then you would think that the songs would grow on me and they don't. If I like a new song it would be from a less current artist I already admired and even then I may not like it.
    I find it difficult to also be interested in underground/independent artists though but it has nothing to do with the popularity because I don't like the super mainstream artists as much but maybe I like ones somewhere in the middle. I don't know I'm not in tune with what's popular. It's just for some reason except for the odd song here and there I can't get into a lot of them that will be on Jango Pandora or Spotify.

3. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    At the moment to be honest with you there is a lot of trash and radio. Most of the artists really don't have a sense of direction. You really find any artist that can write their own songs, or play instruments, or actually sing very well. They rely a lot on technology and they haven't really honed their skills. He can take Justin Bieber for example. He hasn't been able to come back since his one-hit wonder. You'd be surprised that an artist of his caliber is failing to create the sound that they are famous for. That just goes to say that these guys are not really the talent and they depend a lot other people to do the work for them. So for me really think that today's music has really lost the plot

4. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I just joined a site that supposedly lets you hear new music, and get paid for it! I haven't got good and started yet so I don't kow if it really works, but I will post later if it does.

5. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I thought today's music is all about making money and just getting out there. But that's not to say that today's music is all trash, if you turn on the mainstream radio the yes, all you'll hear is pretty much garbage, but if you look hard enough you'll find the gems. I think what makes people think that today's music is trash is because of our Pop icons. Most of our pop icons (and music) today are just really crudely portray and extremely sexualized, it's hard to find pop songs today that doesn't involve sexy half naked woman or men dancing at clubs and throwing money all over the place getting trashed.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of what I hear today is horrible. It sounds more like noise than music, the language used is demoralizing to women and talks about sex and drugs as if it is ok to beat women and get hi on drugs. People drive down the street with all the bad words as loud as they can. I don't like hearing those type of words and I really don't like hearing them when kids are around, words come out of some of these kids like a sailor and they are only about 12 but this is what they hear on the radio. A lot of wards with no beat is not music.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It helps when people write their own songs but it doesn't always matter. Just because an artist doesn't write their song doesn't mean they can't make it their own. If that was the case there would be no art in cover songs. Now if you neither write nor sing that's a little debatable but in that case they would be an entertainer. If they can dance or put on a show they're still talented in some way.
    A song for me is never trash if I can connect to it in some way but that's the problem with the songs of today. I can't connect with many of them but other people can and I can recognize that.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Today's music can't be compared to the previous years' music when artists could sing. Technology should have made music better but unfortunately the singers are no good. I don't even think [except for a few] they have any talent. Personally I don't listen to any new singers whose music I've never heard. Even for the old ones, I'm very selective. I only listen to the BEST.

9. Spowys

SpowysMember

Threads:
    If you're referring to Slicethepie I wouldn't bother. The service is legitimate but the earning potential is unrealistic. It's difficult, intensive work that generally pays about 1-3 dollars an hour. There also isn't really any room for advancement. Overall the idea is fun, but it's just not worth the time you put into it.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Here's always been tons of bad or unmemorable music to sift through to get to the good ones, and now is not much different other than the fact that there's way more to filter because everyone can make sings from their bedrooms. The fact is that when you are looking back, it's much easier to recognize and clump together the good ones and ignore the bad ones or the supposed trash you most likely would have complained about. I love this generation's music, even more so than any of the previous ones, because it sounds good and refined, albeit maybe abit lacking in depth every topic has already been made into a song.

11. unstrung

unstrungMember

Threads:
    What's good or bad in music is such a subjective topic that it is easy to see any given musical era as completely wonderful or utterly terrible. There are so many variables... genre preference, listening medium (radio vs. Pandora, for instance), and age - to name just a few - are all things that could affect a person's perception of songs, and by extension, the general musical climate.

Interestingly, it seems that everyone has their own magical moment when music was fantastic, and songs created after that time will never ever measure up. There are people who believe that music peaked in the 2000s, but others who will tell you that it has been downhill since the 1970s. Still more folks have a particular reverance for music of the 1950s, or the 1920s, and then other people who will swear that there has not been a single decent song created since Beethoven's time. And good gravy, there's plenty of folks eargerly consming the music of today as well.

So who is right? Everyone! No one! There is no best, really, other than every individual's own perspective. Such is the way of art, my friends...