Junk PC Programs

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by lindbergh • Apr 20, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have the habit of installing programs that I don't need. I install a lot of photo editors, a lot of utilities, a lot of games, a lot of everything. I don't know, I just want to have lots of programs installed in my computer. The problem is, I don't use a lot of these programs. They're just waiting there, taking up space. What about you, do you have a lot of programs on your PC that you don't use?

2. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    No I don't have anything I don't need or use on my computer. I mean I will put a game on the computer if I play it, but if I don't end up playing it I will get it off the computer. Now pictures are another story! I have got pictures and more pictures, but software has to be used or it is gone.

3. lindbergh

Threads:
    Lol, I have lots of pictures saved on my hard drive too and the take up a lot of space. I like taking pictures of just about anything too. So couple that with the unused programs installed and you've got one big mess of a computer.

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have a old laptop that i used as a dummy computer so i could try all this kind of junk software. Good times where i had too much times in my hands!

5. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I had too many photos saved so I moved most of them onto a memory stick / flash drive.
    I was actually surprised how many this thing took and it still has a huge amount of memory left. Cleared a lot of space on my old computer drive.
    Ryder13

#5Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  6. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend installing Revo Uninstaller. This will allow you to totally clean up behind any software installed AFTER you've installed Revo. I've used the free version for years.

To help clear up space on your hard drive, try a free program called SpaceSniffer. It almost makes clearing up HD space fun.

Neither of these programs are junk nor contain any kind of junk.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I always make a habit of doing spring cleaning with my laptop as well. After a certain period, I would always go into my control panel and uninstall any programs that aren't necessary, because I don't want my computer to get too filled up and thus making it slow. I also share the same sentiment, in that I am extremely hesitant whenever I have to install a program just so I could use it once.

8. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    The thing about using the Control Panel to uninstall is that it will not clean up everything. You'll likely have registry entries left behind, and maybe a few folders as well. A junked up registry will slow down a system as well. Programs like Revo are almost essential, especially if you like to try out different programs.

9. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    Well I used to do the exact same thing; install tons of softwares that were of no use to me. However once my PC crashed, I stopped installing non-essential softwares and now I am very particular about removing the softwares that I don't need. I use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall programs; it can do a deep uninstall and remove program files and registry entries that are left behind by the rogue programs.

10. lindbergh

Threads:
    Oh, so that's why I have some minor problems with my PC. I only use the control panel to uninstall programs. Thanks for the tip. I'm getting a bit tired of useless programs too. Lol.

11. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    I tend to avoid installing anything I don't believe I will really use that much. I am sometimes tempted to install various "gadgets" but I always think about whether or not I will use them. I also think about how often the situations where I would need them would arise. As a result, I rarely bother to install anything at all. I mostly just use my computer to access the internet to I do not need much else to be installed on it.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah there are actually a lot of unused programs here in my pc, like completed games and some softwares like Skype, Yahoo Messenger, etc. I haven't uninstalled them yet because I still have lots of hard drive space to spare, but when I'm already running low in space then for sure I will delete them.

13. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    Search for a program called SpaceSniffer. It's free (I think open source) and it almost makes freeing up hard drive space fun. It uses a fantastic graphical way to show you the size of files and folders. It's fast and interactive so you can explore your drives and immediately see what's taking up the most space.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, Revo Uninstaller is a great program. You should use it in installing all your junk programs. I suggest you do a scan using Malwarebytes as well because I'm pretty sure your computer is infected with all kinds of threats when you installed those programs.

15. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I have any programs that I haven't used at one time. I do have a lot of pictures that I got from the internet but most of them are on my external hard drive which has a lot of space. The only problem I really have is I'm very cautious now so whenever I make something digitally, I tend to keep the source pictures/videos after I am already done. I don't know if that's necessary.

16. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I am kind of person who prefers not to install so many junk programs in the PC as it eats up lot of space in the memory. Also there were quite a lot of times where I end up resetting my PC due to minor problems in the PC. Therefore I would loose all the external programs that I have installed. Hence now it has become a habit to install only the most required programs in my PC.

17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only as many programs as I need currently. A year or so back, I had so many programs installed and to be honest, I found them distracting because when I saw an icon of a game I hadn't played for a long time, I'd probably 'just' click on it. Later when I read an article that claimed that having lot's of programs on your PC could slow it down somewhat, I removed all files and programs I didn't use. I'd recommend CCleanar for anyone who wants to easily get rid of programs you don't use.