Keeping cool while exercising outdoors in the heat.

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Lostvalleyguy • Jul 11, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Even when the temperature rises, people are still outside and getting exercise. They are jogging, hiking, or riding their bikes. Every year people collapse due to overheating and sometimes people die. When I look outside, I can see a lot of people doing the wrong things in the sunshine.

What tips do you have for keeping your cool while exercising in the summer?

Hydration is the first order of business but there are other things to do as well. If I hike, I like to ascend in the early morning when the air is cooler and stick to the trees. Cycling in the sunshine is unavoidable for me but a helmet and sunblock help keep my body a little cooler. Most people remove clothing in the summer to keep cool but it is often exactly the wrong thing to do. Lightweight clothing that keeps the sun off your skin will help you remain cooler than a skimpier outfit.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to walk in the mornings while it is still cool outside. I do carry water with me and a towel to wipe the sweat from my eyes. It is good to wear lose fitting clothes to allow the sweat to dry from parts of the body. I see people out wearing tight fitting clothes in the heat which really works against them, the outfit tends to hold the heat in.

Always wear a heat to protect your eyes from the sun's rays.

3. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I have been worried about this very subject! Where I walk in the mornings, I see places where people have thrown up due to the heat! I would never push myself that far! I walk early, keep water close by and don't push myself.

4. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the first step would be to NOT workout in the heat. It's simply not healthy for you to be working out in 100+ degree weather. The best times would be to workout outside in the early mornings, or later in the evenings, when it's cooler outside.

The other option is to just invest in a gym membership. There are plenty of gyms out there that have affordable monthly rates and it's a great way to have access to workout equipment at all times of the day. For me, I would make the adjustments in my budget to compensate for the extra cost of a gym membership to make my health a priority

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Whatever you do, don't go work out in the middle of the day especially if you're exercising outside. I generally try to go early during the day (like before the sun rises) or as the sun is setting.

But, I understand not everyone can have the luxury of doing that, so what I would do is bring tons of water with you if you have to workout in the middle of the day, and take it easy on yourself. Listen to your body, and remember if you're thirsty you're already dehydrated.

It also wouldn't hurt to know the symptoms of heat stroke, just in case.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    First rule: Always keep your body hydrated. No matter how intense the heat is, if you are hydrated enough, you will get through it. It's just that you are going to sweat more and lose more fluid faster, so you would always have to drink a lot of water. And although there are ways to manage to run under the intense sunshine, you should still avoid it as much as possible because the sun's rays are harmful to the skin, and water just can't do anything to make it protected. With this, you would have to use sunscreen if you really can't avoid going under the intense sunshine.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have lived for many years in a wet, tropical climate, and cycling, jogging or going for long walks during certain days, and even weeks, was an extremely challenging task in 90% humidity and temperatures hovering between 45C and 50C. So the best option was to go swimming, either early in the morning or towards sunset. I have seen many tourists visiting our area, collapsing from heat exhaustion, as they thought they could carry on with their routines as they did at home. Sometimes, it really is better, to exercise in an air-conditioned gym.

8. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    Well, for one thing: I don't exercise in the heat of the day. I try to go on a walk with my son in the mornings or evenings when it has started to cool off. Otherwise, I workout to exercise videos inside or we will hit up the pool. Swimming is great exercise. Its been unseasonably cool the last week but the temperatures are supposed to start spiking again. I'm glad. I have missed the pool!