Keeping Gift Wrapping

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by DreekLass • Oct 12, 2014.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I learned this from my mother, and I doubt that ever would have encountered it if it were not for her. But when she would receive gifts and it would come in a nice fancy bag with a bow or something on it, she would always keep the fancy wrapping, and then use it for when she was giving gifts to people. Sometimes even the same people who gave her the gift wrapping in the first place lol.

I have been doing this for years. Do you also do this.

2. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I've always wondered how many other people do this! Lol, I learned it from my Grandma, and probably would not have thought of it if it wasn't for her habit of it . I try not to re-use them for the same person, though, just the kind of little thing I get obsessive about- but other than that it works out quite well :).

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do this a lot. :p Especially with the ribbons and bows. I don't usually keep the wrapper but when the package comes in a "bag" type then I do keep it too and sometimes re-use it. I don't see anything wrong with it, it's just like recycling things - good for the environment too. :D

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can relate to this. Like, seriously. I find it a waste to just throw gift wrappers unless they're torn to a degree beyond repair. When the gift wrapper still looks smooth and uncrumpled, I use it to wrap another gift I plan to give to someone else or for Christmas-related projects at home or in school. I also keep Christmas bags for personal use or for future gift-wrapping purposes.

5. DreekLass

Threads:
    OMG!! Lol! I genuinely thought that I was the only one - or that my family were the only people who did this. Hahahaha!

Personally I don't reuse these little frills on the same people who gave them to me. But I will use them on others, and usually these people will comment on how I always present their presents the best out of everyone that they know. If only they knew lmaoo!! If the bow is damaged somehow, I will try to repair it. If not, I'll just throw the unsalvageable ones away. I do it for birthdays and for Christmases.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've always saved gift wrap and gift bags, just in case I need them in an emergency. Even when I wrap a gift I make sure that it can probably be used again by not using too much tape. Gift bags are cheaper these days for the dollar store or pound shop, so I tend to get these instead as they are easier to carry around and then swap without unwrapping.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't keep paper.. I don't know one person who has the patience to open a gift without tearing it up first lol. I keep the bags though and I've started wrapping presents in materials. That way, no garbage and it can be used year after year. I'm done with the tree killing where necessary lol. There are tons of creative ways to dress up gifts without using so much paper.

8. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    It's not something I really can do. I always end up making a complete mess of it so I don't try at this point anymore, it just seems like a waste of time to me, if I'm going to spend 10 or even 20 minutes trying to neatly unwrapping something and ending up making a wreck of it anyway. I've always liked when people did it though! It just seemed so neat to me.

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Funny that you should ask this because I thought that my grandmother is the only one who does this! I don't keep gift wrapping though. When I open gifts, I always destroy the wrapping because I feel that I appreciate the gift more when I open it with zeal. :p

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hahaha! To be completely honest, I don't know what you are doing in your house. But it really doesn't take all that effort to disrobe gifts neatly? I am not talking about gift wrapping at this point, just the bows and those fancy bags that gifts often are delivered and presented to you in. Those are the things that I tend to keep. The bows are usually very resilient and you can keep using them until they are not anymore. But it takes a lot of break one of those. Same goes for those fancy bag.

11. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I have done this a few times, not a lot though. I have folded it up to save it because sometimes I just hate ripping off such nicely wrapped paper and then just throwing it away. Though after having it folded up so long waiting to use it for someone else it will often look really wrinkled and I then don't want to use it anymore.

12. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    My mom has been guilty of this for YEARS! I occasionally do it as well. It's a great money saver, though I make sure not to give the person I'm gifting to the bag or wrapping paper they gifted me in fear of being rude. Aside from giving it back to the original person, I definitely am part of this trend.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    I seriously, honestly, have absolutely no idea as to why I am so shocked. Or why I am so happy that there are other people who do this too lol. Maybe it is because I can relate to others in this instance, which me relating to other people doesn't happen all that often lol. I mean, a lot of the time people don't care about wrapping. I guess it just depends on who you are giving the present to? And what the present is? But there are definitely times when you could get away with not putting the gift in a bag or wrapping it. But why not when you have these gorgeous gift bags that someone else gave you, just sitting around doing nothing but looking pretty?

14. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I only save bags to recycle for future gifts I will give to others. Pointless to save gift wrapping, because the tape will always tear up the paper.

15. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    The only gift wrapping I keep are gift bags. I will also keep the boxes for other clothes I would gift.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't save the gift wrapping itself. Like the paper. although if there is some spare gift wrapping paper laying around, I may cut around the pattern and stick it to something and then write 'to whomever,' on the white side, before sticking it to the gift.

Also, I am the say with cards. Christmas cards and birthday cards. If they have a picture of something relevant, I'll cut around the picture, write who the present is to on the white side and then kind of stick it to the gift?

17. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I thought that you were referring to wrapping paper there. I would never do that. But when you refer to fancy bags with bows etc, then yes I do this too. It's impossible to tell that it's been reused, so I don't see why you shouldn't. :) I wouldn't care if people are using reused wrapping for my gifts, so I doubt your recipients will care either.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree. These trills and frill and bows make people feel special. And if they are not damaged in any way then why not reuse them? Lol. Whenever I have gotten gifts in the past that have been repesented in a flashy manner - bows and the whole shebang - I have always been so fascinated with that over the present lol. Sometimes the present is something small. and the wrapping just gives it that extra glitz and glamour.

19. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, it seems wasteful to me to just throw them away. It saves money and it's good for the environment. I try to re-use most things when possible. I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm not going to scavenge through the trash for wrapping paper or anything lol, but I will certainly save any fairly large, nice pieces that are leftover when I'm cleaning up the paper. Bags, bows, and ribbons, definitely. I also know people who use tons of tissue paper when they give gifts, and I hang on to that too. It's come in handy for wrapping up a gift when I didn't have any regular wrapping paper (takes a couple sheets, but it works in a pinch).

20. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I Collected Gift Wrapper Patterns

I don't keep the gift wrappings at home, unless they are matte gift wrappings. There are three types of gift wrappings that I often observe: plastic, shiny and matte. The thicker the gift wrapping the higher the chances that I would keep it, but if it was made of plastic and shiny, I would definitely throw it out. The plastic gift wrappers and the shiny ones break easily and they get dirty even quicker. It's like they collected dust faster when they were not in use.

I have this weird habit when I was younger, of buying gift wrappings every time I go to the book store. I would collect them and take notes of their patterns, compare them, and make some sort of a list of what types of gifts I would wrap them with. I got the idea from observing scrapbooks. :confused: I do this with my sisters, and in addition, they also like to collect product packagings, the brown bags that come with beauty products or gourmet food items.