Keeping Shoes Smelling Fresh

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Theo • Sep 21, 2016.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How do you keep your shoes, especially running shoes smelling fresh? I always find it hard especially with summer shoes too as often I wear them barefoot.

I air them as soon as I can and spray deodorant in them, but what else works and is there a way to prevent it? I usually spray them before I wear them too and it has a small effect.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is embarrassing to admit that I have smelly feet sometimes and my shoes used to reek of bad odor. I got this advice to sun my footwear, not just the shoes but also the slippers. And while sunning, I soaked my feet in soapy water for 5 minutes then rinsed them very well and dried them very well. That takes away the bacteria that is creating the bad odor. As for my footwear, if the sunning is not enough (if the odor comes back) then the footwear needs washing with soap and water before sunning again. And for prevention of odor, you have to sun your footwear regularly.

PS. I used to buy Lysol spray for my shoes but it's not 100% effective.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Baking soda is great for odors. Lightly sprinkle some inside your shoes making sure the bottom is covered then empty excess. I have also used baby powder for my grandkids shoes. At night I have found that spraying Fabreeze is good. Hope these suggestions help.

4. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I don't have any deodorant I just take some of my aunt's baby powder, it really works well for anything, especially shoes when these smell really bad, you definitely have to try it, you won't regret it. Good luck.

5. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Keeping shoes fresh is necessary for foot hygiene especially to check the growth of fungus and other bacterial growths. So its necessary to keep your shoes fresh using dessicators and smell absorbers like bicarbonate of soda. Placing moth balls inside them at night is an excellent option as naphthalene obscures the smells.

6. MomOfThree1980

MomOfThree1980New Member

Threads:
    I put ora's amazing herbal body powder in our shoes. It's talc free and made with natural ingredients and essential oils so I don't have to worry about it breaking out my kids and husbands feet.

7. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Use baking soda in your shoes and before going out, rub baking powder AND baking soda on your feet. The baking soda with absorb the stench and the baking powder will prevent you from sweating too much. It works great. Stuffing newspapers in your shoes while not in use also helps absorb the stench.

8. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    To avoid any unpleasant smell emanating from my shoes I developed the habit to always sun dry. After being embarrassed by smelling shoe I had to find out a way to deal with the condition. Whenever I am home I'll remove the stock then keep both the shoes under sun to dry. I do these routinely without using any spray and it's been very fine.

9. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Do they still make "Odor Eaters?" They were order eliminating insoles that you could purchase to put inside your shoes. I don't know if that brand is still around or not, but I know there is a similar product that I've seen in dollar stores such as the Dollar Tree.

You can cut them down to size to fit your shoes, and they are padded for increased comfort as well. For a buck, I think they would be worth a try.

As some already mentioned, baking soda works, and I've heard that corn starch does as well. In fact, you can make a paste of baking soda to rub on your feet like deodorant and also sprinkle some into your shoes. Corn starch should be good for soaking up moisture (sweat) as well.

10. Gallade

GalladeNew Member

Threads:
    Well, stick a couple of tea bagsinto your smelly shoes. In fact, stick them in all your shoes to keep them fresh, especially if you keep them in the closet with all your clean clothes. You don’t want icky funk sticking to your clean stuff — especially if you have to lug your laundry to a laundromat.

11. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    It's truly humiliating, also unsavory, when the stench gets so awful that individuals can notice you originating from a square away.

In any case, before you hurl the shoes in the junk or take a blowtorch to them, look at some ways that you can attempt to de-stink them and keep them noticing new. If your shoes are wet, given them a chance to dry. That implies putting them in a sunny spot and giving them a chance to sit for no less than 24 hours.

Check the insoles, as well, since you may need to supplant them. Baking Soda. Sprinkle it into your rotten shoes and put them aside overnight. Dump the powder out the following morning.

12. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is common for adolescents to have smelly feet but that can be remedied by proper hygiene.
    Remove the socks after using the running shoes and air it using electric fan. During daytime, it is best to sun it because the heat of the sun will surely kill the bacteria that produce the bad odor. The used socks are the key to the odor so be aware that you should not leave used socks inside your running shoes. And for good measure, buy a deodorant spray for your shoes.

13. biege

biegeActive Member

Threads:
    Alum Potash powder helped me keep my shoe fresh and my feet dry all day. Alum powder is said to inhibit bacteria and fungal growth in shoes and feet. You can substitute this for baking soda but I would recommend that you avoid getting your skin exposed to baking powder for a long time as it may damage your skin.

14. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    After you are done using them for the day apply some baking soda in them over night, the baking soda will absorb the moister making your shoes feel and smell fresh the next moring. You can also insert balls of news paper in them after your day is done and when they are ready to be stored, news paper or any paper will also absord the moister, to get better results you can also apply baking soda in the paper.

15. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I got a kick out of your post. Thanks for the.. colorful.. read. ;)

Another option I've heard of is putting a dryer sheet inside each shoe and then setting them out in the sun. If you don't use dryer sheets, you can dampen a wash cloth or rag with liquid fabric softener instead. Allow the cloth to dry completely then place it in the shoe (you don't want to add extra moisture, so make sure it's good and dry). Then place the shoes in the sun. This will dry them out plus "bake in" the fresh scent.

16. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    I've heard it too, but not did not try it yet, for me baking soda is magic! works well for me :D

17. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely agree with you. This is what I usually do with my hubby's shoes so it won't stink. I normally dried tea bags right after use and put them in one container so I have a lot to be used when I need one. Used tea bags have plenty of uses not only as deodorizer but you can also use it on your skin.