Kiddie Cereals?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Mar 2, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Raisin bran (no particular brand) is my long time favorite cereal and probably always will be, but every now and then I get a craving for one of the sugary kiddie cereals. Something like Captain Crunch, Lucky Charms or Froot Loops. They're like quick desserts to me.
    Ah, the guilty pleasures.:)

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, it's Kellogg's Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and Ricicles. They are both delicious with ice cold milk, just the right balance of crunchiness and sweetness. I normally just stick with regular cornflakes but will occasionally buy a box of one of these as a treat.

3. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    I'm way past the target demographic for those sugary cereals, but I've always loved Frosted Flakes. I also like Lucky Charms and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I don't really like any of the healthy "adult cereals" but I should eat them instead. Honey Nut Cheerios are a fair compromise, best of both worlds!

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, I am all about the Monster Cereals. I can max on some Count Chocula, Boo Berry, & Frankenberry any night of the week. However, I no longer can. This because General Mills is run by a bunch of goofs who thought they should make these delicious treats a 'seasonal' item available only during the Halloween season. Boo, indeed. (Oh, sweet delicious pun)

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    That's too funny! It makes some kind of sense, but when did they start doing that? I'm trying to remember when the monster cereals came out. How long have they been seasonal?

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love "kiddie" cereals. Growing up, my parents only bought Raisin bran, Cheerios and occasionally frosted flakes (I know, my childhood was so deprived). But whenever I buy cereal now, I always get one sugary cereal like Lucky Charms and one healthier cereal so it balances out somewhat. The sugary cereals are just too good to pass up.

7. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    lol...My dad never really did any of the grocery shopping, so he bought no cereals at all. He did like them, though. He and I were the cereal munchers in the household. My mom didn't care for cereals at all and only about once a year ever bought any of the pre-sweetened ones.
    She tended to stick to buying raisin bran or rice krispies. If it was rice krispies then she also bought bananas to go in them.
    Which was good. I still like both very well. I used to wonder, though, why she wouldn't buy the more sugary ones at least a little more often and I make up for it now by buying them every once in awhile (a good bit more than once a year) and thoroughly enjoying a sweet splurge:)

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Seems like they've slowly but surely converted them to seasonal over five years ago. Terrible choice. Makes marketing sense but hurts my soul. They came out in

monsters.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This cereal product may be overrated but I still love Coco Crunch. I like eating Nestle Honey Stars too. Both kiddie cereals are classic. I either eat them with or without milk but without milk, cereal does taste bland and uninteresting. Cereal and milk are the best tandem ever.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not huge on kiddies breakfast cereals because they're way too sweet for me, plus I don't find them filling! I don't know if Kellogg's Crunchy Nut Cornflakes counts, but that's as far as I'll go. I really like it with warmish milk...yummy!

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All of the cereals that you mentioned above, I don't see as children's cereals? Lol!! Too many adults that I know enjoy them - even more so than adults in a lot of cases. Especially Lucky Charms. They are so popular over here in the UK now, even though America has been enjoying them for years.

The worst cereal are Fruit Loops. They look all attractive to the eye, due to all of the color. But then they taste like soap. It' really weird. They are awful, and I can't believe they charge people for that garbage. I can't believe people enjoy them. Ick!!!

12. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    A-ha! Now I know your tastebuds are simply messed up. You think froot loops taste like soap? I might have to rethink trying the horseradish with apple or cranberry sauce combinations...and here I thought you were on to something.:)

13. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Those words, "...way too sweet for me," how I wish I could say them. They seem so magical. So healthy. So...oh, never mind. I'll never win a battle against my sweet tooth. My worst vice ever.:)

14. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not big on cereal. I will never understand why some people like it so much but on occasion I will eat Lucky Charms, Mini Wheats, Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fruit Loops and Trix. It sounds like a lot but I can go months without eating them especially Fruit Loops and Trix
    Raisin Bran is okay but it's my least favorite.

15. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I just love a good bowl of raisin bran with milk. Sweet but still healthy. As far as sweet cereals go, I really love fruit loops and cinnamon toast crunch. I don't really like those with milk though. I guess the milk washes off too much of the sweet goodness. I like to eat those as a snack with my fingers. So yummy.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lmao!!! I'm sorry to tell you, but I have gotten confirmation that Fruit Loops taste like soap from numerous other family members, and a handful of friends. When I'd originally purchased them, I was so excited. They looked so colorful and tasty, and then when I actually tasted them, they were disgustingly soapy?

I was so aghast, that I had other family members taste them to make sure that it wasn't me, as I couldn't actually believe that people were claiming to enjoy tasting that, and they also scrunched their faces up and claimed that soapy cereal was in their mouth. Maybe it is UK soap that it tastes like, since I know that things are often a lot different in the US.

17. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I feel a curiosity attack coming on. I've made my own soap for years. You'd think I would have tasted it by now? Oh gosh!!! Maybe I could make Froot Loop soap! What a novel idea! I might even decide to sell that instead of keeping it all for myself.:)

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    Oh, you make your own soaps? I now have images of you purchasing soap and taking a bite out of it, for scientific purposes hahaha!! :) There is a market out there for everybody. I have no doubt that if you were to make novelty Fruit Loop soap, people would most certainly purchase it lol.

19. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    They just might at that. I can see a giant soap Froot Loop floating around a tub now. It would have to actually smell like fruit, though. Not like the cereal. The cereal doesn't have much of a smell anyway, I don't think.
    Oh. That makes me think of the General Mills plant in the town I do most of my shopping in. The cereal smell is so strong sometimes that I find myself trying to guess what kind they're making on that particular day.:)

20. DreekLass

Threads:

No, I don't think that the Fruit Loops cereals do have much of a smell. They are weird. However they taste, to different people, I do not feel good about putting them in my mouth?? I don't feel like they do my body good, and that is in large part to the soapy taste. I avoid them, but Lucky Charms are the best cereal I have ever tasted. I love those.