Kids And Cell Phones

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by emily0531 • Jan 20, 2015.

1. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely don't think kids should have smartphones. There's really no purpose and they can get themselves into stupid situations with them because of free access to internet, they can download secretive apps, etc. They can have regular cell phones so they can call and maybe they don't need to have texting capabilities, but they should be able to get in touch with their parents if they need to. Other than that, there's no need to have a phone until they're of mature age and actually need one.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have no more kids so I really cannot say about the age that kids should be allowed to use cellphones. My brother's grandson was only 3 years old when he was given a tablet. Now the boy is 7 years old and somewhat a wizard with the tablet. With cellphones, the boy has none but he knows how to use it because his grandmother (my sister-in-law) lets him use her phone. So maybe it depends on the parents.

3. mooray

moorayNew Member

Threads:
    Nowadays, I think a 12 year old kid should have a cellphone but only for emergency. However, I would not allow the to be active on social media channels like Instagram, Facebook or Twitter until they are about 14 years. Depends on how fast they grow.

4. JoyF

JoyFNew Member

Threads:
    12+ age is recommended. But bad thing isn't cell phone but use of that. Before giving any such facility to your child it's necessary to give them sense of good and bad and teach them the right use of that thing. Initially smart phone is not needed. First give them simple phone, have check on them and if you are satisfied then gift them smart phone.

5. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    I had my first cellphone when I was 11. That's when I started getting out and staying with friends a lot, and my dad wanted a reliable way to get a hold of me. Up until I was 16, the rule was that he would pay for the phone as long as I answered the first time that he called. If he had to keep calling to try to get a hold of me, then it would be shut off.

My daughter is only six, but I send an emergency phone with her when she stays at her dad's or at my sister's house. I just need her to be able to contact me if something ever happens. It isn't a smartphone, and my number and her grandma's number are the only ones in it.

6. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I had my first cellphone when I was 12 I think. It's an old Nokia phone that only has texting and calling capabilities but that was already enough for me. Smartphones weren't in the market back then, and the closest thing to a smartphone was the Blackberry which also costs a fortune way back in the early 2000s. The first time I got hold of a smartphone was my 2nd year of college but I didn't really use it for any other stuff aside from the usual texting, calling, and surfing purposes.

Kids these days grow up to be complete idiots and dumbasses, and one reason for that is because parents allow their kids to use smartphones at a very young age. Let's be honest. Kid's won't use their phones to become more productive. They'll use their phones to surf websites that are bad for kids.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't bribe my kids.. they know if they aren't productive, they don't get very far and that's more important than a phone. And as long as they're under my roof, they won't be paying for anything, because it's my HONOUR and responsibility to raise and support them until they're ready and on their own. They're children for gawd's sake., and the loves of my life; I will never treat them as boarders or employees or pets etc.

As for the phone, it depends on the child. Some are more responsible than others. In this house, it was when they were able to go off on their own with friends etc, I need to be able to get a hold of them in case of emergency or vice versa. At first, there really is no need for a smartphone, but maybe once they start asking for one. Whatever you're trying to shelter them from by not buying them one, I assure you, you aren't. Older kids always find a way, so it's more about how they're raised than anything...

8. BDSFAVDS

BDSFAVDSNew Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I get more confuse about this decision whether my kids make miss use of smartphone or they are ready for taking responsibility of such gadget.

9. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I believe children should have phones for emergency purposes and for contacting their loved ones on a regular basis. They should just have regular phones and not smart phones though, because they might get addicted to games and also get to see bad content on some social media platforms that smart phones are able to support. Children should be taught that a thing given to them is a privilege and a simple thank you or sign of gratitude should be enough. But it depends on the parents if what requirements they impose because of the reward the children are getting like gadgets. It is not harmful to set requirements, especially of this will benefit the child in terms of discipline, values and better grades. So I guess letting them do some light household chores or make them get good grades or increasing their study period as a requirement for a phone as a prize is fine.

10. knitmehere

knitmehereMember

Threads:
    I'm glad that someone else believes that it's up to parents to take care of their children and their needs and expenses while they are still under the parent's roof. I know too many parents who say that if their children want something, they should earn it or pay for it themselves. We are parents and we chose to have these children. They didn't choose to be born into this world and its not their fault if they want/need something that they can't afford while they are young.

11. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My son is 12 and does not have a cell phone let along a smart phone. Many of his friends have smartphones. My husband and I do not own cell phones so it is easy for us to justify to him why he can't have one. I know by the time he's in high school we'll have to get him a cell phone so we can communicate but right now we don't feel the need to pay for the extra expense of a cell phone. He has a ipod and doing just fine with that piece of technology. If he needs to get a hold of us he has to use a friend's phone and call. It's not that often that he needs to do this.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you ask me, perhaps after the first onset of teenage angst is over. So that would be around 15 or 16. I wouldn't let my kids go home on their own until they're 18 - unless our house is just a good walking distance from their school. I want my kids to focus on their studies and use technology for the right reasons. Cellphones are far too distracting these days. I'd let them borrow one of my phones from time to time if they ever need to stay late in school or go to a friend's house for a sleepover. As a parent, I won't be that strict but I won't be too condoning either.

13. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I don't recommend the use of phones by kids. For one, they don 't how to care for the gadgets. Cases of kids smashing expensive phones on the floor are legion. There is also the phenomenon of 'automated kids' where development of their cognitive skills is affected since they get used to accessing information at the touch of a button. This makes them unable to apply themselves to real life situations which require common sense and concentration.

14. integrity101

integrity101New Member

Threads:
    I'd say at 16 a teenager is responsible enough to know the value of owning a cell phone. Most of his or her friends will already be having one after all. However, it is wise to educate the child on the pros and cons of social media sites that can be accessed via the phone before granting him or her this great privilege.