Kids Clothes Are Costlier Than Adult!!

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by naruto100 • May 10, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I have noticed this thing when I went to purchase clothes for my sister's girl(which is 3 and half years old) . I amazed by price of the clothes that some of them were even costlier then my clothes. Lol. I wonder if it is the right price or they just want to earn high commission. Don't know for sure. But is it possible that 3 years old kids's cloth price is higher than adults cloth. I know sometimes it is depend on cloth type, but the one I have seen was looking normal.

2. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    This is very normal. Clothes for children are always way expensive than adults. This gets worse with clothes for a girl than a boy.

The irony is kids grow out of their clothes so fast that you wonder if spending on fancy clothes is actually worth or not.

3. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady That's very true. Even if we purchased new cloth for them after one year they will be small for them. So that's a big problem for sure.

Yes it is true that it is common that kids clothes are costlier. But I wonder why? Isn't it kind of unfair as they have to use less material for making those clothes in compare to adult. Then why high price?

#3May 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    You should watch kids and their clothes or expect to lose a lot of money. Sometimes, just for fun, they might throw their jacket in a stream - and sometimes it will sink and be unfindable. Also, I have also seen that kids lose their shoes a lot.

5. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Jason76@Jason76 Ha ha.. Yes kids are always naughty and they used to do all these things. And as kids things are really costly yes it will cost you more if things keep getting disappeared. lol. I wonder why all items of kids are that expensive in compare to adults. And we can't avoid them to save either.

#5May 12, 2017
  6. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I am pretty surprised too when I went shopping for my birthday. I have taken some nice dresses for me and I was just looking at the baby clothes because they were cute. But hen I looked at the price I was so shocked about the price as it was very much higher than mine.

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know why these stores are selling children's clothes with the price as adults' clothes or even higher as what you have observed. I would surmise that parents would be obliged to buy those clothes for their children for they have no choice anymore.

Is this an unfair practice of selling? Is this not a form of profiteering which is in our place is punishable by law? It is sad to note that in our place it is not regulated or no action taken as to control the price of children's clothings.

8. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Nakitakona@Nakitakona Even here there is no such regulation. Yes it is surprise that they take more money for kids price even there is less material for making kids clothes. It is pure business and I don't think any one can do any kind of action on that. They will simply say that buy it or not, your choice!!

Yes parent has no other option and they have to go for it.

#8May 13, 2017
  9. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Actually if you have noticed that children clothes are more fancier in terms of artwork, designs, frills and nets. They have multiple layers of different clothing and flaahy colours.

They also use Rayon, Spandex, cptton blends and velvet to stitch out dresses. Also which parent wouldn't like their dolls to look the prettiest? Hence, all these factors play in towards making the clothes quite expensive.

10. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    You are right I have been noticeing this since I have a three year old myself but it has always been like this. I don't know the reason behind this since they use less cloth for their clothes or maybe it take more time to make I don't know really. I try to buy my daughter comfortable clothing that actually are cheaper than the cute little dresses that she really doesn't like playing in, like the once with itchy ruffles.

11. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think that the reason why is because we all know that parents have trouble saying no to their kids. I am not sure that this is the reason, but my cynical mind goes right there.

12. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady That's make logic. But I have noticed that even simple cotton frock (without all fancy things) costs quite more. These days all parents also used to compare with others kids and they all want to have their kids up to date. So that's why those shops are getting sell easily. That's why they able to maintain this high price.

#12May 14, 2017
  13. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have children but I buy clothes for my sister kids once in a while. I also think that kids clothes are more expensive than adults clothes. The only difference between kids clothes and adult clothes is the size. Kids clothes use less fabric than the adult clothes, however, manufacturing cost is almost same.

14. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I was talking about something similar in regard to children's shoes. Someone else mentioned that you have to expect to pay more if there are trademarked characters on children's items. I think that is expected, although I do miss the days when that meant the items would also be better quality. These days, many aren't any better, they just have characters or logos.

Even without characters, the kid's items cost as much as adult clothing and shoes (and they take less material to make). I guess it's true that the price is whatever the market will bear. If people will pay those high prices, they will keep charging high prices. I'll stick to waiting for sales then, I guess.

15. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with this thread’s title that kids clothes are more expensive considering that it will be used for a short period only – kids usually outgrow their clothes in 6 months or 1 year. But we cannot dispute the fact that children now have their own taste especially those in grade school. When a brand of clothing is popular in school then they would pester us with a request to buy them such. The trick is to barter with your child like a trip to the beach resort or a movie instead of new clothes. Good luck.

16. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Ha ha nice trick there..

It is true that now kids have their own taste. But I was talking about 3 years old girl. She still not get that feature. You are right about branding, but here now almost every brand is selling clothes costly, even new brands too. And you are very true about that those clothes will be useless within 6 to 12 months. But I guess we can't do anything about it.

#16May 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2017
  17. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    You may have a point there but if we're talking about dresses of the same style and brand that runs from kiddie sizes to adult sizes, you will realize that the price actually goes up proportionately with the size. I guess prices will vary from store to store or brand to brand so it's quite difficult to conclude that kiddie clothes are more expensive than adult clothes. However, if you factor in the useful life of kiddie dresses, its cost per month will be several times higher than that of adult clothes. Moreover, many adult clothes can be mixed and matched with other clothes which further extends their value. So in that sense, it's true that kiddie clothes are costlier than adult clothes.

18. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Jamille@Jamille Branding is always like this. But even if I talk about new and small brands, they are doing the same thing by watching those big brands. But surely they don't have that much quality. And still they demand that much money.
    Well, I know we have to go for good clothes some times. But what if we are purchasing clothes for home and daily purpose. I don't think everyone will pay high cost for such clothes.

#18May 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
  19. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Its not only kids clothes that are costlier than adult apparel but most miniaturised items are costlier. This is due to the attention to detail that is given to them. The irony is that kids quickly outgrow them or even spoil them.

20. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @remnant@remnant Yes that's the fact. All those items are costlier these days. May be parents can't ignore kids demand or parents wants best for their kids. So even with high cost they are getting sell. Not sure.

Yes kids grows really faster so clothes are just become useless in 6 to 12 months only. Even with this fact we have to go for it.

#20May 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017