kindle or Kobo?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by alahnna • Apr 21, 2012.

1. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I've been reading my ebooks on a kindle downloaded to my laptop for a while now. I didn't want to spend all that money on an e-reader if I didn't like reading books this way. I have found I really enjoy it though and am now interested in getting something more portable and easier to handle than my laptop. Which would be better to get, a Kobo or a Kindle? Is there something better than either of these?

2. Snrm

SnrmActive Member

Threads:
    There is always the Nook but out of all three ereaders I think the Kindle is the best. I have a Kindle Touch ($99) and once you learn where to tap to perform which actions, it is the best Ereader out there. The Kindle with all the buttons that doesn't have a touch screen is $79. I think it is worth the extra $20 to get the touch Kindle but they are both great products. I prefer the Kindle over all other e-readers because it is run by Amazon which is the biggest company out of all three e-readers. It is also extremely easy to put external .PDFs on the Kindle as well. This is just my personal preference from owning the Kindle Touch.

3. Stephanie

StephanieMember

Threads:
    I loved my Kindle, just the basic, but went through 2 of them. They just went kaput on me. The first time it was only a month old, so still under warranty, and the second the warranty just expired.

Instead of picking up a new one, I've confiscated my teenager's (hey, she isn't using it anyway) Kobo Vox. I enjoy the Vox for surfing on-line and playing around, but for actually reading, nothing beats the black and white kindle. The Vox is too hard on the eyes!

I have a kindle app on the Vox and get most of my books (usually free) from Amazon and almost nothing from Kobo! When I get up the nerve to replace my Kindle I'll be picking up another one.......even though I know it will probably expire after a year.

4. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    Either one will work well as an eReader. Either one should get a case/cover on it, which will significantly change how it feels in your hand. Both provide a wide range of books in their native stores. And both can use sideloaded books, though the Kindle has an edge here with their dictionary working on sideloaded books as well. Format restrictions are a non-issue at this point - there are lots of stores that support either format, and there are ways to change the format and buy from competing stores. (I buy some books from the Kobo store when geo-restrictions require it, since my Kindle account is in the US, but my Kobo one is in Canada.) The final consideration you haven't mentioned is customer service, and I think Kindle definitely has the edge here.

5. hanzuke50

hanzuke50Member

Threads:
    I don't have either one and was actually checking threads to find opinions on good e-book readers. I'm definitely getting my kindle tomorrow! My reading list has been really stale ever since I decided that reading on the iPad was hurting me more than it was doing good. lol

6. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I do not have an eBook, but according to the research I have done on these devices, the Amazon Kindle seems the best option. I like all the neat features it has and you can get thousands and thousands of free books. It also has Wi-Fi, an MP3 player and a cool feature that can give you the definition, synonyms, etc. for one word.

All in all, once the Kindle drops in price, I will be purchasing one.