Kindle Unlimited

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Diane Lane • Dec 2, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Does anyone here subscribe to Kindle Unlimited? If so, do you use it enough to make it worth the cost? I don't know anything about it. I've just started downloading some free books to read, and keep running across Kindle Unlimited, so am curious. I don't have a dedicated reader, just the Kindle app, and I mainly use that when I e-borrow books from the library, but I might be interested in it in the future if it's a good value. Is every title included, or is it like Prime, where only certain titles/authors are included?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It can be good value, but it's a monthly fee so unless you read $10 worth a month it may not be worth it. Not all books are available because authors choose to have them under the scheme, but that can deter people from buying their books. They do get compensated for downloads, but recently they have changed it to how many pages are read.

You may be better off with Prime, or sign up for the free trial that you can always get.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ahh, o.k., thanks for the information @Theo@Theo. I thought it was a one-time fee for the year, and for some reason I was thinking the amount was $50, which I might have been able to justify, especially if I had a dedicated reader, which I've been considering purchasing at some point. It might be worth it to just keep doing what I'm doing for now, and revisit the issue in the future, if my situation changes. I had really hoped it was every title/author, rather than a limited amount of material like what Prime includes :(.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ohh, I just bought a Kindle fire and I am very excited. I was eligible for the free trial of prime again so ite should allow me to build up my elibrary a bit. The great thing about this is since i was again eligible for the prime trial, I am getting free shipping. Plus I had 25 dollars worth of Amazon certificates, plus I will end up trading in my older kindle as long as the books convey...over to the new one,for even more savings. so I couldn't be happier!! I really think Prime does include quite a bit of free material though...I think there is a kindle lending library that comes with prime

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    i am a bit confused by the kindle unlimited it said there was a free trial, but then it also said by hitting the subscribe button you were subscribing to the 10.00 monthly fee of kindle unlimited. I mean which is it? It can not be a free atrial and subscribing at the same time. I am going to have to contact Amazon because there is a book I want to read...that I would like to read for free.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Possibly, the book that you want to read is also available through the Kindle Lending Library ? In order to use the lending library, you have to have both a Prime account, and an actual Kindle (not just a kindle app). Since you have that, you can use the library. The way it works is that you can choose one book each month (or however long you keep it). If it takes you more than a month to read the book, that is fine, too; but you cannot get another book until you return the first one, and no more than one book per month in any case .
    The good thing is that most of the books that are expensive and are Prime, are also available through the lending library.
    I do not read enough books for it to be worth me paying $10 each month for the Unlimited, but I do use the lending library, and get the expensive books that way.
    There is also something called Kindle First, and they offer you a choice of everlasting books each month. If you have Prime, your choice is free, and if you do not have Prime, then it costs $1.99 for the book. They usually have about 4 different books, and you can choose which one you want to read each month.
    I really enjoy reading with my Kindle; and I bought it for cheap on eBay used; so it has been well worth the cost of buying the Kindle for the extra benefits.

7. Tora16

Tora16New Member

Threads:
    I haven't bothered with Kindle Unlimited because there's no way I'd read enough to be worth $10 a month, though I can definitely see it being worthwhile to more voracious readers.

Wow, thanks for mentioning that. :) I knew the Lending Library used to be a thing, but for some reason I thought they'd replaced it with Unlimited. I'll have to look into that again! I also never knew about Kindle First. It looks pretty nifty, definitely something worth knowing about.

Another way to save on the Kindle is to check out the monthly/daily deals. I've been able to get some pretty good deals that way. Also, if you're into audiobooks at all, don't forget to occasionally check on Whispersync deals you're eligible for.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad to have stumbled across this thread because for the longest time I've wondered why this type of service wasn't available, separate from the Prime, because I don't need the free or express shipping and/or the music and movies/TV series. I have signed onto the Kindle Unlimited free month trial, but I'm not even sure how it works!

I looked at the FAQs but they are pretty basic and don't seem to cover all important questions. I'll have to watch this thread with an eagle eye. I know they say you don't need a Kindle device to access the books, you can download a free Kindle eReader app. But I'm glad I have a Kindle as I prefer to read my books that way. Also, not every single book is available, but there's a quite a lot to choose from, so that doesn't bother me.

@Happyflowerlady....are you saying you can only borrow one book per month? That just wouldn't be a viable option at £7.99 per month, because I read fast and for that, I can get give or take 5 books. What happens if you finish that book and want another one, is that an option? How do you even return it in order to borrow another one? Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the info :)

Ps. I just noticed this isn't even a new service, because I see discussion threads dating back to 2013?! I only just heard about it last week when Amazon sent me an email LOL

9. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Kindle Lending Library is FREE, @Lushlala@Lushlala . You only get one book per month; but it does not cost anything to use the lending library, only the Kindle Unlimited costs. I don't have the unlimited, because I do not read that many books per month to make it worth paying the $10 each month; but since the name says "unlimited", I am sure that you are not restricted to only one book when you have that program.
    As far as returning the book, it is simple. After you finish reading the book, there is an option to remove the book, and when you do that , it returns the book, so to speak.
    I like to read non-fiction educational books, and some of those are expensive to buy, and take me a while to read. Those are the ones that work perfectly for the lending library.
    While I probably would not spend $10-$20 to buy an book, if I can read it for free, then that is what is needed. About one of those books is all I can read in a month anyway, since I do not just whip through those like I will when reading a fiction book.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you very much for addressing my questions, @Happyflowerlady@Happyflowerlady :) I find it curious because after I got the trial offer, I read through a few discussion threads on Kindle Unlimited here, and they seem to say you are allowed up to 10 books per month. But even still, if you reach your quota before the month's up, you're allowed to return the ones you've read and borrow more! I'm on the trial, and so far I've been able to borrow 3 at the same time. So I'm very confused LOL The FAQs don't really tell you much.