Kinect - love it or hate it?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lindbergh • Mar 10, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The Kinect is a device that aims to eliminate the use of the controller entirely by using motion detection technology. It's more successful in making you look silly though rather than being a truly useful device IMO. It's great for dance games but it sucks for everything else. I hate it when playing racing games with it, adventure games, and other games that shouldn't support the Kinect in the first place.

Do I love Kinect? Boy, I hate it.

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Majority of gamers don't care for motion sensing gimmick. Ask anyone with an Xbox 360 and most probably don't have a Kinect. Kinect is the reason why I didn't buy the Xbox One because I don't like being forced into buying things I don't want. Even developers rarely utilize it other than for useless controls.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the Kinect is cool for certain weird and artistic games like Child of Eden but there aren't enough games like Child of Eden that use the Kinect well. I would have liked to see some quirky party games, some weird stuff from Japan or another Katamari Damacy game using the Kinect.
    They never made full use of its potential.

4. globulon

globulonMember

Threads:
    It was a great novelty, but not much more than that. The use of the motion sensor by most games never really felt natural to me. Now it just sits pretty much uselessly on my TV.

5. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    When the Kinect first came out I was really eager to get it and when I got it I used to play it a lot. Now that I have it for sometime now I hardly spend time playing it and I will tell you that I do not even bother with it anymore. It was cool when it first came out.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I ink it's fun and it's especially fun when we have people around since the novelty of having to move in front of the tv to control the games is cool and it's also very funny to see everyone attempt it and make a fool of themselves. On regular days, however, nothing beats just sitting down on the couch and pressing some buttons.

7. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I found kinect pretty interesting but I must say I did not really use it at all. I do not care for motion sensors, nor do they make me feel comfortable when playing. This is one of the reasons I stay away from XboxOne and prefer the PS4 better.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have to agree with you. Kinect is great when you're rearing to dance and all that (though there are times when it can barely read your movements). It's not easy to get yourself detected sometimes. In fact, one of my officemates who used to work as a customer service rep for Xbox shared to me one of the main problems with Kinect. It's bad at detecting people with dark skin. Some of the complaints he received were from African-Americans who branded the device "racist" because it couldn't detect them. Sweaty people don't get detected as well. Aside from detection, I experienced problems with the ease of navigation and item selection. It took us forever to finally press the start button.

9. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    The problem with the Kinect is the detection. It is not as accurate as a lot of gamers hoped. This severely limits the games it can be used on. Really like it for the dance games, but not yet applicable to the other kinds of games. For next generation, a better detection algorithm can really boost its appeal. I have games in mind that it can be used for when it is improved.

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean, obviously people like gimmicks here and there, the Wii sold like hotcakes and the games weren't bad, but Kinect is just wrong on every level. Bad hardware, bad detection, and I really don't think it has a single game worth anything.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I would say I love the Kinect if it actually does work properly. When they first unveiled the thing it was introduced as this really futuristic thing and everyone was so excited but it turns out it's just another gimmick, kind of like when Nintendo made all those accessories for the NES. Now Microsoft unveiled HoloLens which looks really cool but since the failure of the Kinect hit, I doubt Microsoft can pull it off with the HoloLens not unless they took the time to actually make it work.

12. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Many Kinect games seem really half-polished, and the hardware isn't all that sensitive as well. I feel that it's more of a novelty gimmick than a really relevant and essential feature to the Xbox. Which top-selling Xbox games have really utilized such a feature to its full potential?

13. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I Agree with the detection part all the way. I just recently got the Kinect for my Xbox 360 and overall I will say the sports games are much better then wii sports, in my opinion, the visuals and the music alone is way better, but I do have some problems with the detection. Although I'm still playing it, and my son's like it, it's not all that it was cracked up to be.

You have a great point. No top-selling Xbox game has even tried to take the Kinect to the next level. I still think it's has the potential, but the issue is probably with the developers. It may just be to hard at the moment to bring the Kinect to it's full potential.

#13Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2015
  14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I think Kinect is really interesting. I find it really fun and in my opinion it's somehow is a form of exercise definitely so much better then sitting all day long playing games. :)

15. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whoa, thanks for this information. I didn't know that the Kinect had these kinds of problems. Glad it wasn't named as a racist device. :D

I experience some detection problems every once in a while but not every time. Maybe it's because I have fair skin. Lol.

Anyways, Kinect can be fun with friends at times but for serious gaming, it's definitely not fun. A controller beats this device any day.

16. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    It's weird, even though Kinect is superior to the Wii remote with its hands free motion sensor, I still enjoy the Wii more. Maybe it's the games, or Nintendo's "magic" but playing the Wii with friends and family never gets old. Or maybe it's the sensor camera makes me nervous with always being "tracked"...

17. PrettyBrainQueen

PrettyBrainQueenBanned

Threads:
    The Kinect is nothing more than an agreed upon tracking device that more or less...you bought. Furthermore they can turn any electronic on without you doing it as well as you not knowing it was on. Definitely don't like it, besides there are no real games for it.

18. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    I don't really have much love for it. It doesn't really have any kind of use in my household. For gaming, Kinect was never ideal, which is why most developers don't bother with it. And for anything exercise worthy I can just as easily go to a gym (which I do).

I'd like it more if I could find use for it.