Kittens

Discussion in Pets started by tulosai • Jun 27, 2012.

1. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I've been thinking about getting a kitten for a while, but am concerned about whether I have enough disposable income to really take on the responsibility. For those of you that have cats, how much do you spend on them in an average month? I am thinking mainly of expenses incurred every month like food, litter, etc, but I'm also interested in yearly vet bills and that kind of thing. It would be an indoor cat.

Thanks for any advice :)

2. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    Having a strictly indoor cat will cut down on your veterinary expenses significantly. This is because your new kitten will not be exposed to hazards such as dogs, other cats, cars, disease, etc. However, you will need to budget for monthly vaccinations until the kitten turns 20 weeks of age, regular dewormings, food, toys and treats. Additionally, you should budget to have your kitten spayed or neutered and consider whether or not you will have him or her declawed. Monthly expenses including once a month visits can be several hundred dollars with an additional couple of hundred dollars for surgery. However, after the kitten ages beyond 5 months, the expenses will drop significantly.

3. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you. This is actually very helpful. It sounds like this is not a financial option for me right now then, though I might consider getting an older cat to avoid some of those expenses. I appreciate your feedback!

4. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    The costs can be kept rather low if you live in an area where you can access a community vet, it really keeps costs much lower. It is such a joy to have kittens and they really have been some of the best moments I have shared with other beings on this earth. The cuteness level is through the roof. It is like have National Geographic in your home. I have had a number of kittens and the expenses have been very low...IF you do your homework.

5. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    I have never spent as much on a cat or a kitten as the above poster suggests. Some counties or states have low-cost spaying and neutering. Some humane societies offer low cost spaying and neutering as well as shots. I have three cats and a kitten so i buy a big bag of cat food once a month for about $8 a month. It really depends what kind of food you will be feeding your cat or kitten and if your sticking to dry food or going to feed them both wet and dry.