Kitty Cleanliness

Discussion in Pets started by dizzykitsune • Oct 2, 2014.

1. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Clunk clunk clunk

That's what I constantly hear throughout the day and night. One of my cats, Teacup, thoroughly enjoys cleaning his paws in his water dish. Why? I have no idea. He's obsessed with it. He'll slap his paw in the bowl a few times and lick it clean. He'll do it randomly throughout the day, but mostly after he uses the litter box. I find it adorable and annoying because he spills water all over the carpet then meows for more because his bowl his empty.

Does anyone else have a cat that does this?

2. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    None of my cats do that but if water on the carpet is an issue get a plastic mat and place it under the water bowls so it's easier to clean the spills. My cats all groom their paws but I've never seen them use water for that.

3. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    OMG !!! I seriously thought my cat was the only one who did this! I thought there was something wrong with him :) He dose the same exact thing ! I didn't understand what he was doing at first and then I figured it out. He would go to the water bowl and splash his paws in it until basically all the water was on the floor and then lick his paws. I was angry at first because I thought he was doing it to just play and make a huge mess for me to clean up :)

Well at least you know your not alone! I ended up switching his water bowl and now I just keep much less water in it and I find he does it less. :)

Danyel :)

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think kittens have this obsession to keep themselves clean no matter what comes by. I think it can be really annoying at times to see them cleaning the entire time. But I am thankful that my kittens prefer to clean themselves without using water and just by licking. I think it is one of the best methods to clean as it does not create much of the fuss.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess your cat really wants to erase ALL the traces of the smell of urine on his paws. After all, the urine of cats smell quite strong as compared to human and dog urine. Luckily my cat doesn't do this since I can imagine it would be a big mess now that he's an indoor cat.

6. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. My cats are obsessed with cleaning themselves though. One is a mother of 4 kittens, and even before she had them you can constnatly find her cleaning herself where and whenever, along with my dog too. It's amazing how these animals take care of themselves. I haven't bathed one of my cats in years (I like my flesh attached to my body thank you very much) and you can't really tell, because that's just how cats do I guess.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Our black cat is way overweight and as a result has trouble keeping herself clean. It's rather gross when petting her because she has some dry spots on her back, where she gets a lot of dry skin flaking off and dandruff. Her fur is also oily in spots that she cannot reach to clean. I've been tempted to give her some sort of bath from time to time to help out with this.

Our white cat on the other hand keeps herself spotlessly clean. I'm amazed at how they are able to clean themselves that well just by licking. Our dogs could never keep themselves clean in that manner.

Neither of our cats though will play with the water in their bowls. Thankfully they aren't super picky either about only drinking running water.

I think the most annoying habit they started so far is playing with the spring door stops on our doors. They like to flick the spring so it makes that loud noise.