Kobe Beef Label Misinformation

Discussion in Food & Drink started by deecee • Aug 5, 2012.

1. deecee

deeceeActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of stores are now carrying Kobe-style or Wagyu beef. However, Kobe beef is only available in Japan from one prefecture. While American beef may be from Japanese cattle breeds raised in the U.S., it is not Kobe.

2. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the info. Although, it's not very surprising to hear food stores/supermarkets lying about what their products contain. These days, it's best to get fresh products from farmers markets and other places similar. I don't think food standards are high enough for my liking with some stuff and the way they make things like hot dogs for instance, is putrid in some places.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    There are tons of Kobe beef food trucks out here in Los Angeles. Thanks for the information. I wonder if they buy it from Japan or are using the fake goods.

4. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I didn't know that that's interesting. I'm sure there are all kinds of tricks the meat department is using to make you buy the Kobe beef. I've never tried Kobe beef before can anyone tell me the difference between them.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I read an article about this a few months ago, and if I recall, they mentioned that you cannot legally purchase real Kobe beef and have it shipped to the US.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We tried what was being called Kobe beef in a local Japanese restaurant. It seemed to me that it should have been THE most tender steak I had ever tasted but it definately wasn't. I figured they had lied about it and have been leary of buying it ever since. I haven't seen it in any stores but it is good to know the truth now. I won't buy it in the US again now!

7. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard about this type of meat. In my country, where we have a long tradition in beef, still not very popular, but you can eat at specialty restaurants. I haven't seen in any store, so I can't provide any information. I only know that the real Kobe beef is being imported, and that such animals have to grow and feed in a given environment, and Japan have enough experience. I think that's the only guarantee of quality. Surely the taste of such beef must be very particular, no comparison.