Kool Aid or generic powder drink mix?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Pocs • Aug 9, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Even though you don't want to admit it, everyone has drank those fruit flavored drink mix and or made them for their children. Do you see a difference from the name brand Kool Aid or the generic brand?

Cherry was my favorite flavor, my kids would drink any flavor though. I really didn't see any difference between the name brand or the generic, except for the price that is. The granular appearance of the name brand is a little finer, but other than that, it's about the same.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It's about the same to me. I don't mind drinking either one. Realistically, though, the price break from name brand to generic is rarely very much, especially if there's a sale on Kool-Aid. When that happens, I always go with the name brand, if for no other than nostalgia's sake. Sometimes there's a taste difference, though.

3. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    When my kids were little they had their specific drinks they liked. If I tried to change to save money they knew the difference in the taste. Nothing got over on them. A big seller in my house was Crystal Light.

4. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe the sugar content or other ingredients are different with each brand. Well known brands have more of an expectation to deliver quality to the customers, were as other less known brands can cram up on sugar and not give a damn as long as they're selling.

5. Meow

MeowMember

Threads:
    It's powdered sugar...

I'd sure hope it's cramming up on sugar as opposed to some chemical compound. That's the one I'd call quality...

As for the difference, personally I prefer the no-name ones. I find they have a bit more tang to them than Kool-Aid, which I like.

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I would never willingly buy the store version of Kool Aid or some off brand of iced tea mix. I can taste the difference and even if there is a sale on the off brands and the cost is significant enough for someone to say that I'm "wasting money," I actually feel like I would be wasting money on buying something that I wouldn't enjoy as much or at all.

7. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly think that there's a difference in taste. For example with the cherry flavor, I don't know if it's just me, I feel like the generic brands taste crappy whilst Kool Aid I love. Maybe it's just a case of preference. But I enjoy Kool Aid more. My son doesn't drink it yet, well because he's too young for it.

8. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had any Kool-Aid for a long time. I like it. The others that I have tried, do not taste much different, as they are all probably made almost the same way, perhaps with more or less sugar content.

9. omgomgomg

omgomgomgNew Member

Threads:
    I think they are all pretty much the same. My old roommate claimed he could tell the difference but i never could. I am pretty sure the only difference is that name brand probably has more sugar in it than the generic. if you really want to save some money just throw in a couple of pinches of sugar when you make a batch.

10. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that they all taste the same. Even crystal light and the Walmart brand tastes exactly the same. I don't know how they do it, but they seem to match it to the T....

11. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    Not that there's very much difference, but I've grew up on Kool Aid. Part of the fun was the fact that Kool Aid started to come in all sorts of odd flavors and mixing them up gave you some pretty good tasting mixes.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is a taste difference, the off brand flavors are not as good as Kool-Aid. I try to get the same brand tea as the flavors are not the same on some of the off brands.

13. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    I really do seem to prefer koolaid over the off brand flavors. However, that could be mostly in my head or have to do with the fact I grew up on it so I just want it to taste exactly like it always did.

14. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Whenever I buy koolaid it's something like 10 cents a packet. How can the generic be that much cheaper? Kool-aid in and of itself is so cheap I've never even considered buying the generic brand.

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm just not a Kool Aid. My Mom didn't really didn't make it for us when we were kids. She only made it a couple of times. When had a lemon tree in our backyard. We had fresh lemonade everyday.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At Walmart, the store brand drink powder packets are 10 cents cheaper than Kool Aid but I still choose the Kool Aid because they have some new flavors like mango and kiwi that my kid likes. They don't make generic mango or kiwi drink mix so Kool Aid has the advantage in the variety of new flavors that they make.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Oooo, lucky you! We had a lot of tea and I love water, so it wasn't a regular thing for me either. I saw it as a treat, though....like getting to have kool-aid when we'd have a family get together as something special. Because of that, I think I tie it more to nostalgia than I do actually liking the drinks, lol.

18. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    We had a sort of Kool Aid in my country in the 90's, i remember it came in shiny packaging. We also used to drink it only on special occasions :)

19. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    It's been a long time since I've had the generic type. I really don't remember. I will buy a lot of things generic, but I haven't bought the generic type of kool aid. I do notice a difference though in the single packs of kool aid and the big containers of it. The containers are a lot better and sweeter. You can see a difference too in just looking at the powders. The singles have more color to them.

20. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I don't like any artificial powdered drink but I can definitely tell the difference betweek Kool-Aid and other brands. I guess its just a flavor that stuck to me as a kid but now as an adult I stick to natural things. ALL those powders taste kind of "off" to me. If I had to drink one I would choose Kool-Aid, probably cherry.