Kroger Gas Discount

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Diane Lane • Aug 17, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Does anyone know exactly how the discount works? I do most of my grocery shopping almost exclusively at Kroger these days, and I see the gas points adding up on the bottom of my cash register receipts. My local Kroger doesn't have a gas station attached, but the one in the next town over does. I happened to be up there the other day, so I stopped in and got some gas. I thought the receipt would designate how much savings I got per gallon, but it didn't. It actually didn't even state the cost per gallon, which is kind of unusual, based on the receipts I've gotten at other gas stations. It did state how many points I have remaining, and that they expire on 8/31/16, but that's about the extent of the information shown, other than the total amount spent and annual card savings.

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Good OP @Diane Lane@Diane Lane. After you scan your Plus card the display area shows how much you are paying per gallon. It never shows on receipts. The assumption is the consumer will know the current rate and make the comparison or do the math that way. I do it all the time. It would be nice to see the savings on a receipt at the pump or ask the attendant for a receipt which I seldom go to the booth to pay.

3. Casiox

CasioxActive Member

Threads:
    I feel lucky for living in a country where you can pay up to 10 cents and get a full gas tank, you can also fill up your tank for one full month with two bucks, it's beautiful.

4. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here is how the Kroger fuel discount works in Alabama, and maybe elsewhere as well. For every 100 points you have for the month, you can take off 10 cents per gallon on the fuel. So if you have 200 fuel points when you scan your Kroger card, and gas is $2 per gallon, you wil pay $1.80 per gallon, I think up to 35 gallons. That uses up the points, so you can't do that each time you buy gas.
    You can also choose to use part of your points, say 100 of the 200, and then save 10 cents on two different fill-ups. I usually gas up at Sam's club at the beginning/middle of the month, and then use the Kroger fuel points to fill up again near the end of the month.
    Also, the points you are using are from the previous month. Right now, you are accumulating October fuel points; but when you gas up , you will use the September fuel points, which expire the end of October.
    Then, in November, you would start using the October fuel points. Make sense ?
    Also, the last trip to Kroger, it looked like they might be changing the rules, because it said something about saving up as many points as you want before getting gas. Maybe they are not going to end them each month from now on. I need to go on the website and see if there are new guidelines.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think they have anything unique. Note, many supermarket chains, as well as Wal-Mart, have the same exact thing. Anyway, though, they can be a great way to save money. However, though, how do you know which savings club to choose? I suppose it would depend on identifying which store you shopped at the most - because that would be the most convenient.