Kroger Psst Brand

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • May 12, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A while ago, while shopping at my local Kroger, I noticed the brand name Psst on several products. I presumed it was a Kroger store brand or generic product, and I was correct. I don't know if y'all have come across these items in your shopping travels, but I've purchased several, with positive results.

Not all of the packages actually say Psst on them. I've been buying Kroger generic trash bags for years. The prices are amazing, especially compared to the high-priced name brands, and the quality is great. I glanced at the new pack of trash bags I was about to open earlier, since it's trash day, and there's the wise owl, sitting on a tree branch, with a caption stating, "check this out...big savings!", which equates with the Psst brand. So, if you're interested in saving some money, and shop at Kroger, give their Psst products a try. If you don't see the Psst name, just look for the owl on the packaging.

2. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    I have noticed this brand in the past year or so also. The products I have purchased have been fine in my opinion, although honestly I couldn't tell you exactly which items I bought from this brand because I don't buy them that often, and I only shop at Kroger a few times a month=) The only thing I didn't buy from the Psst brand recently was a cheap ice cream. It was very tempting, but it was labeled as something like a dairy dessert instead of actual ice cream, so I was just a little leery of what it actually was. The price was much lower than the other generic ice cream at Kroger, but I just couldn't make myself go for it since it didn't seem like real ice cream.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @steph7h@steph7h I wasn't aware that they made ice cream or an ice cream product, but I guess that makes sense, since people need to save money wherever they can these days. I can't remember exactly which products I bought that were the Psst brand, either, other than the trash bags, and crackers. I bought a pack of bologna the last time I was there, and had never heard of that brand before either, but when I was looking up the Psst brand online, I saw that it was another new Kroger brand. By the way, it is the best bologna I've ever had. Here's a link to the article on their 3 'new' brands, in case anyone's interested.

#3May 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2017
  4. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I buy Psst products a lot, probably buy them more than Kroger brands now. My household consumes a lot of peanut butter from that brand. The prices are so affordable and it really helps that the quality has been really good too.

5. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have been aware of them for a while now and have purchased a few items. The crackers are better than other store brand name ones that I have tried and they are only $.99. Can't beat that. Also, the mac and cheese is good and really cheap. I can't believe that Kraft is so expensive for a box of mac and cheese. I haven't tried the peanut butter yet but always buy generic anyway so I am sure we would like that as well. I will definitely have to be on the lookout for more of this brand.

6. Bobbie Solomon

Bobbie SolomonNew Member

Threads:
    Hello All. I agree with all of you. I totally love psst items at Kroger and the price is even better. I have used a lot of their items such as trash bags, freezer bags, toilet paper, paper towels, dish soap, foam plates, seasonings, chicken patties, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, spaghetti noodles and sauce, can vegetables, and the list goes on and on. Also, the dairy dessert or ice cream is really really good. There half gallons are only $1.79 and super taste. Plus, if you sign up on the Kroger website you can download Kroger coupons directly to your Kroger card. If you do this they have some specials from time to time on psst products. These are some of the specials I have seen:

• Buy 3 psst spaghetti noodles and get 1 free psst can of spaghetti sauce
    • Buy 3 psst can green beans and get 1 free psst can of cream of mushroom soup
    • Buy 1 psst 24 roll toilet paper and get 1 free roll of psst trash bags
    • Buy 1 psst 6 roll paper towels and get 1 free psst dish liquid
    • Buy 2 psst foam plates and get 1 free psst dish liquid

These deals are not a one time only thing either. They do these same specials every few weeks or every few months and I just love them! I hope this helps all of you.

Attached Files:

7. Anne S.

Anne S.New Member

Threads:
    I would like to start a discussion about Psst Long Grain Rice and hope some of you will comment on this topic.
    I've been reading about plastic rice found in the USA lately. "Snopes.com" writes that there are reports about plastic rice being imported from China which is very harmful to us when consumed. I recently purchased a ten pound bag of the Psst brand of rice and it never cooked well. Many of the grains remained hard.
    Has anyone else tried this brand of rice? Did you have any issues cooking it? I'm trying to find out if I should throw away the rest of this rice or perhaps learn some other way to cook it so it turns out better. I've cooked it in a rice cooker with poor results and on the stove top with bad results. I've been cooking rice for over 30 years so I don't need a recipe to make basic rice. I just want to focus on this one brand and find out if others have shared the same experience or can confirm if this is a good or bad brand specifically for the rice.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions or shared experiences with this brand of rice. Thank you!

8. Natasha0717

Natasha0717Active Member

Threads:
    I shop at Kroger A LOT. I'm pretty sure I've seen the owl you're speaking of on a cleaning product. I was looking for something hypo-allergenic (or at least pretty close to it) to clean my desktop and floors with. One of my cats may have asthma and I'm trying to eliminate all possible allergy-triggers from his life (and mine). I suffer from asthma too, especially from dust and mold.

So then the Psst brand is different/cheaper than the standard Kroger brand products? I took it more as being environmentally-friendly or healthier for some reason, but I could be wrong..

9. Jeffersonianideal

JeffersonianidealNew Member

Threads:
    I recently tried the Psst! brand of refrigerator biscuits. Yes, they were bargain priced. They were also hideously awful. Their unappetizing texture and tastelessness elevated the next worst version of instant biscuit dough to exemplary status. Insipid prefabricated foam insulation in biscuit form. It probably shouldn’t be categorized as food in any civilized society. There’s nothing “Homestyle” about this product unless home was within the confines of a polystyrene factory.

I stay away from anything carrying the Psst! label ever since I met an elderly Kroger shopper who said the bargain brand's name reminded her of a slang term for a bodily excretion. That was enough to convince me.

Here’s a tip for the zealous skinflints out there. Spend the extra 45 cents and purchase something with minimal edibility.