Lack of interest in today's movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by footballtim • Sep 1, 2012.

1. footballtim

footballtimActive Member

Threads:
    Is there anyone out there besides me who watches movies regularly, but has yet to see one this year that was made after 1990?

Maybe it is a generational thing, but the last time I saw a new movie was when I went to the theater to see "Indiana Jones and the Krystal Skull".

I absolutely loved it, but you must remember, even though the movie was new, it was part of a series of movies that was from my era.

#1Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to catch movies later rather than earlier, even so I have nothing in particular against new movies save that they tend to focus more on presentation then on an interesting plotline. Also there is rather too much hype these days - Inception, the revamped Batman films, Insidious. *sigh*

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    You're right - there are very few recent movies that are worth watching. The only one I can think of that I've really enjoyed is The King's Speech, with Colin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter. It was about George VI of England and his efforts to overcome his stammer, and it was excellent. The new Anna Karenina looks good, but I'll wait for it to come out on video, I think.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't watch movies regularly anyway. When I do, though, you're right.... I tend to go with some of the older classics instead of the current ones. All the modern day ones seem to be just remakes or the same plots of old ones.... but with crappier jokes and not as much great acting.

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE watching movies! Unfortunately it isn't always feasible for me to see them in theaters. When I do have the opportunity to go a theater most of the time i find there is nothing I want to see. When I discovered Netflix though, a whole new world of movies became available. Not all movies make it to all cities and having access to them even through Hulu makes a difference.

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't feel like there are any less "good" movies nowadays that there used to be. The only thing that happened was the trends shifted. Some genres died, some genres (sadly) got ressurected, but overall, there is still as many good movies done as there was 30 years ago, I'd say.

7. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    A avid movie lover, I give all movies their fair shake. Older ones or today's films. Today the movies to seem to be either remakes or part 3,6 or 11, can be a little uninteresting. Where are all the new ideas is my only complaint. Some of my favorite movies or 20 years are older. I think the newest great movie I have watched was Radio.

8. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    I think the last movie I watched was Battleship, which was pretty decent. I mean the blonde didn't end up being some stupid bimbo. Movies these days are nothing when compared with classics.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do not go to the movies often, mainly because there is seldom anything out that I want to see. My taste have changed over the years so I know that has alot to do with why I do not go to the movies, the films have become to violent and cruel for my tast. The other reason I don't go to the movies is cost, it is too expensive.

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the movies today lack substance, and I think it's due to lazy writers. They're making movies to get a quick buck, rather than making them for pure enjoyment. I remember older movies had a certain quality that the movies today just doesn't possess. It could be all the computer generated graphics it makes them feel so fake. I was into movies as a kid, but Hollywood seems to be running out of ideas.

11. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy classic movies. In particular, I believe that commercial cinema isn't going through its best phase, but is part of a cycle at some point bring better productions. Right now I'm seeing more indie oriented films, smaller productions. The blockbuster I find tedious and empty, although there are exceptions. The "auteur cinema", on the other hand, is where it hides the true sense of artistic cinema. However, I have to make an exception: animated films fascinate me. It`s one of the thematic areas in which work is best, and where the viewer never disappoint.

12. CinnamonBear

CinnamonBearNew Member

Threads:
    I totally agree! I don't care for many of today's movies at all. The main motivation of many studios, it seems, is to market special effects films for teenagers. The problem is, the special effects are emphasized at the expense of the story and the acting.

Having said that, I would like to see "The Artist," last year's Oscar winner, which does seem to harken back to the style of classic cinema!

13. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I don't really watch movies like I used too. I can't even remember when the last time I been to a theater. Movies are so not worth me paying for they actually get worse every year. Especially the sequels to movies, they always try to do a remake of the first and it just ends of being retarded. By the time I know it, they are already showing on regular TV. Even with cable TV, I mostly use the Internet than watch TV.

#13Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    One big reason why there is a lack of interest is because people are tired of paying extra premiums for stuff like 3D and they are not willing to shel out so much money to see a sequel of something. I hate it when you go to the multiplex and all of movies listed are sequels. It just turns me off.

15. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of recent movies either. I have a couple of free movies passes, but haven't used them. It seems that many of my childhood television shows are being made into movies. I hate that! Add in the over hypeness of some movies. I'm sure they are a few good movies out there, but I haven't seen them.

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, if people were really tired to see all the sequels, then.. there won't be any sequels. :) So I really don't think it's that. As for 3D, I agree, it's a terrible gimmick, but thankfully I can just opt-out and go watch a regular version..

17. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    I think it has more to do with the generation gap. You would understand the pop culture references and interaction better. I tried watching Indiana Jones and didn't find it as spectacular as what I expected it to be. Maybe cause I'm South African or too young

18. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really interested in seeing the movies in the theater anymore either. Big flat screens have far better image quality than some faded dust speckled projection at a theater.

There are some films I'm interested in and enjoyed, it's just not the ones you'd ever see advertised on TV. I usually get into edgier films, like stuff by Gaspar Noe or David Cronenberg. You know with the holidays coming up we're gonna get several of the obligatory corny slapstick Christmas comedies. Romantic comedies make me want to cringe. I won't be caught dead at some high school dance flick. And I think they've exhausted every superhero in existence at this point.

19. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I love all movies even bad ones for various reasons. I have seen some great movies and some that I only needed to see just once. I prefer movies that don't always make the popular lists.

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I dunno, I'm younger than you and I liked it.. maybe BECAUSE I saw it when I was like 10, though. As I grew older, I started liking fewer and fewer movies, and now I watch only few per year.. so I don't think it's a generational gap, just different tastes. :)