Lack of interest in today's movies

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by footballtim • Sep 1, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I really don't care about today's movies. There have been a handful of the past decade that have interested me, like The Dark Knight trilogy, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, the Bourne trilogy and a couple of others. My lady and I occupy our Saturday Movie Night with just old movies from the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, 1950s and 1960s. We find them much more entertaining and interesting. Of course, this is my favorite era, although I wasn't born in it.

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am usually late on the new movies i tend to catch them months after they have been out.

3. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't gone to the movies that often since my son was born 18 months ago. Before that we went whenever there was a movie we thought we might be able to watch. I loved going to the theater but many of the movies we didn't like. There were some but many more that were not that great. Overall I do like the older ones more. Although, I don't really re-watch many of those either.

4. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm also not interested with the newer movies that's coming out on the market today. I mean, c'mon, what happened to the storylines that "The Green Mile", "The Shawshank Redemption", etc. produced? Those films stood the test of time and you can see someone still viewing them as of today unlike the newer movies who aren't even worth remembering. Although I have watched some such as "Pirates of the Carribean".

5. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I hear you on the childhood being ruined thing. Stupid Michael Bay with his need to cannibalize all my childhood memories. The show was called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, not Teenage Alien Ninja Turtles! Also the "X-men" movies... so painful.

6. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    I love old style movies, the type you know the actors worked hard and done all of their own stunts. Those are the best for me personally. I just can't stand CGI even though they bring unique surroundings and characters with it. I just can't help picturing the actor stood in front of a green screen swinging a sword or whatever while I'm watching the movie and it totally spoils it for me.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wasn't that movie cancelled? I seem to recall reading that the production was stopped and the project is dead..

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I certainly hope so, but that still leaves several other childhood shows plus the mutilation of other things like Akira. I can't win for losing man.

9. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    My job is in entertainment and I find that there are more movies being made as remakes than actual real original ideas. It's kinda sad. The film industry is not thriving at all these days. It's all about tv and made for tv movies right now. That's where the money is.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I'm not too happy about Akira either.

It's kind of ridiculous that Hollywood can't come up with any new ideas, so they remake TV shows, comic books, and even amusement park rides. Pirates of the Caribbean is a ride at Disney that got turned into a movie. What next? A movie based on a pamphlet or cereal box?

11. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't watch movies regularly because I'm not interested in most Hollywood movies and the foreign movies I like to watch are not easy to find. I download foreign movies online but it is very hit and miss. The quality and quantity of movies being released does seem to be going down.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Eh, but your point actually acts as a sort of endorsement. The Pirates of the Caribbean movies are good bits of entertainment. Yeah, they were inspired by a ride, but is that much difference then being inspired by a picture or a conversation? That said a remake is only as good as the energy put into it. John Carpenter's The Thing is a remake and it is considered a classic. Juon is a great movie whether one is viewing the Japanese original or the American remake. It all depends - but generally Hollywood disappoints me.

13. husstopher

husstopherMember

Threads:
    I think that they are running out of ideas. I mean, come on now, a lot of movies now a days are not originals. They are just some cheap rip off from some awesome movies from the 90's.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know what it is but it is not as interesting as it use to be going to the movies or buying them. They are not my taste in movies and maybe it is a generation gap but they are not really my taste either. But it seems as though they don't make the good movies that we use to go to or is it just geared toward the younger crowd? I can't say what the problem is but I know most of them are not for me.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't watch too many movies at the cinema nowadays either. They have become so realistic that it's gotten boring. I mean, if I wanted to see realism I'd go for a hike. I sense we are losing a lot of the magic that made movies the way they were not even that long ago. Hopefully I am wrong.

16. Ja'cobeC

Ja'cobeCMember

Threads:
    I watch movies very regularly, maybe like 4-5 movies a day. I enjoy watching them as I study or eating. Their are plenty good movies out there to watch. You must be looking at the cover of it and lose hope for the movies like I use to do. Start giving every movies an try and I promise you will love them.

17. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I'm glad to hear that it is not just me. I thought is was due to my age that I wasn't interested in watching movies anymore. If we do watch a movie, we usually stay home and watch it. I don't think I have been to a theater in about 5 years or more. I am a big JRR Tolkien fan and will definately be going to a theater to watch The Hobbit this December.

18. Dalek

DalekNew Member

Threads:
    I feel the same way, although I do think people kind of get wrapped up in a form of nostalgia. I know you BELIEVE films were 'all that' back in the day, but they were not....just look at "Cool As Ice".....or "Howard The Duck" :D

19. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really like the new movies they have now cause i feel they lost their touch they are not that good. I like watching old movies like grease urban cowboy things from that time i think the only new ones i have actually watch are the twlight movies and the 21 jump street as far as those goes haven't watched any new ones and don't really want to.

20. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I see your point about Nostalgia (I have brought this up time and again regarding video games), but there is also a very real glut of creativity. I can give you a list 20 titles long of recent movies from Hollywood that are remakes of foreign films generally J-horror in origin.