Ladies, Ever Gone Shopping Just To Wind-down?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Sep 4, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A female blogger claims that most women go shopping for clothes when they feel stressed up. I don't know how this works but somehow when they buy themselves new clothes that kind of makes them feel better. Do that twice and it becomes a habit. Every other weekend when things just aren't working . . . you go shopping. Can cost quite a bit?

True or false, ladies? Ever felt the urge to go shopping of clothes when you were stressed?

2. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes! I go shopping sometimes to relieve stress. However, I don't buy clothes. I buy make-up most especially lipsticks. One time, I got so stressed with my boss at work that on my way home, I went to the department store of the mall. I think I bought a total of five lippies that day. A total splurge. I regret that time now. Some of the colors I chose don't even match my skin tone! Grrr. Hahaha

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shopping is a feel good factor which is why there are lots of small items to tempt people as affordable treats. That is why many people buy things as it makes them feel good and they return it later as an impulse buy. Of course many don't return the item and that's when you amass items that seemed a good idea at the time. Even if you don't have much money, it is nice to browse, try on and dream. It is escapism and relaxing when you are not looking for anything in particular, though for sales associates it can be a little annoying. When I worked in retail, I could tell the difference between the two and let them look, but helped them if they needed it.

Browsing can be fun and reduces stress.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is so true, I am so not happy these past few days and guess what? I bought 3 earphones, 1 headphone and a pouch in a span of 2 weeks in Ebay. I sure don't need them, but I figured that I would just collect them. Shopping really has some sort of feel good effect when you feel down.

5. KaranKhurana

KaranKhuranaBanned

Threads:
    Take my piece of advice. Don't go for shopping when you are hungry and stressed. You will end up buying things which you really don't need. It happened with me that's why i am saying to all of you.

6. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that you shouldn't go to do your food shopping when you're hungry, because you will find that you end up buying a lot of things that you just don't need, and things that you wouldn't have bought if food wasn't on your mind when you did the shopping. I do however like to go for a walk round the shops to unwind. I don't tend to buy anything that I don't need, it will be more along the lines of treating myself to a nice shower gel or shampoo - something that is functional, and I will use, but something that is definitely nice and a sort of treat!

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely did! I consider myself a bit emotional shopper, which is so dangerous!! Sometimes if I'm feeling stressed out I need to watch myself not to go crazy online and stay away from the mall.

8. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    Not really. Spending money tends to make me more stressed out. I don't mind window shopping when I'm a bit stressed, particularly in fun places like the Disney Store. I typically come out having spent nothing, but feel a bit better. My go-to when stressed is usually reading a book and listening to music. Much more relaxing.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I feel stressed, I head for the nearest mountains or beach to unwind. The last place that I want to be in those times is a shopping centre. I don't like shopping in the first place, so having to visit one while I feel tense, definitely doesn't contribute to my inner wellbeing. I can safely say that shopping has never helped me to unwind. Often it stresses me to even think about it.

10. CraftsAndLooms

CraftsAndLoomsMember

Threads:
    For me, shopping is a stress buster! Whether it is online shopping or offline shopping. I would love to spend long hours in browsing through online stores or walking through a mall having coffee. :)

11. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. Shopping for new clothes or even new things gives me more of a headache than relief. You know, seeing your money fly off your wallet because you wanted to buy a dress that may or may not come in very useful. If you have a lot of money it's a stress reliever but if you're on a tight budget then it's more of a pain.

12. Serenity Fay

Serenity FayMember

Threads:
    For me it isn't clothes. I just go online and end up buying books, games, comics etc. I always convince myself it's ok because they don't cost that much, but last time I calculated how much I'm spending and all the little things add up a lot!

13. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine does this often - her purchase of choice, perfume. Now, if the things she shops for to 'unwind' would be more useful for her life I'd have nothing against it. But perfume? She own tens of bottles/brands that she never uses and all of them were not cheap. A waste of money if you ask me. Then again, it's not my money we're talking here about, each is free to spend as the wish and see fit.

14. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I also go shopping when I am stressed or feeling down. I don't always buy something though. Sometimes I'm just window shopping. I don't always shop for clothes. I really like browsing through the housewares department. I even like looking at china and crystal in the glass cases. I used to work in the china and crystal department so I really get a kick out of it.

15. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I do. I enjoy shopping and sadly want to go when I am very happy or very sad. You're right this can get expensive, just like the book Confessions of a Shopaholic, so what I try to do is just not put myself in a situation to shop. I enjoy online shopping but don't love it because I like the instant gratification factor so I'm not tempted by my laptop. I am always tempted by all of the cute little things--and sometimes big things--in stores so I leave work and go straight home, or I adjust my walks so I do not even pass by a store that may tempt me.

16. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I believe that there are women who considers shopping as a stress reliever, my sister does. :D But not me, I like going out when I'm stress but I do random things like taking a walk/run/jog or visit a friend (or a relative).

17. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping is the last thing I want to do when I feel stressed. It's enjoyable, yes, but if I'm stressed I don't really want to be around other people and make little decisions about what to buy. I'd rather do something relaxing outdoors or go to a spa or something away from crowds.

18. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I go shopping when I'm stressed all the time. When I say that, I don't mean I buy things every time I go shopping. I would be poor if that were the case. :) I do think it's relaxing and a much needed stress reducer to just be by yourself and look around the store without any pressure. ( I certainly leave my kiddos home!:) Just being alone sometimes whether it be shopping or sitting at the coffee shop for a hour can renew your spirit and I think we all need that!!
    Danyel :)

19. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely don't. I too find shopping to be a stress inducer. I like to just get in get what I'm going for and get out. If I happen to find something I like that I didn't think of then fine but I don't generally like spending money and I don't like window shopping when I might find something I want to buy and then won't allow myself to.
    The only time I like shopping is on vacation

20. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of ladies who are like this. Closest to me is my sister. Whenever that she gets depressed she splurge on everything and she treats anyone. That's why it's as if there's a celebration whenever she screwed up something. It's her way of venting out and freeing out her despair over one thing.