Ladies: Short Nails Or Long?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by hayrake • Jan 19, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have always loved the elegant look of long, nicely manicured nails with not too bright polish; but I don't get along well with that look at all. The kinds of things I do are prohibitive, for one thing. For another, my nails, though healthy, are rather thin and they tend to hook at the ends when they get even a little bit on the long side.
    Aside from that, it would seem that long just doesn't suit the size and shape of my fingers. Long looks weird on me, so I've never bothered to try press-on or acrylic nails.
    Short is just my style, I guess, and it allows me to do the things I do without fuss.
    Still, I do admire long nails on other people's hands. Not ridiculously long, though. No talons.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Talons are a complete no-no for me. Not only is it difficult to type on the computer keyboard (my work as a writer entails lots of keyboard-typing), it's also difficult to hold soft things without scratching them or ruining their shape. Talons are super deadly especially when you're constantly interacting with other people. I prefer to keep my nails short even if I apply manicure on them. It's more convenient and safer that way.

3. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    Long nails are a total no go for me. I do a lot of typing for work, and I also handle animals. You can't have long nails for either of those. I also do a lot of jewelry work in my spare time, and it's practically impossible to do anything with long nails. I've never really liked that look of them anyways though?

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been told quite a couple of times that I have nice-looking hands, but I am not fond of having long nails at all. My nails chip easily and are brittle, so I really can't grow them if ever I wanted to. Whenever my hands get soaked for an extended period in water, they really turn soft and the slightest force breaks the nail.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like longish nails too, not too long as to look like a witch's LOL Although my nails do grow to a nice length, they tend to chip and break. They're just too thin and the longer they get, the more brittle they get! The interesting thing is, they break at such a weird angle, I can't do anything about them or salvage them by filing them down. I end up having to cut them very short. So I've decided that from now on I'll keep them shorter than I'd like to. I also don't like acrylics :(

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My nails grow fast naturally so they are always long. I only cut them when they get in the way, I'm traveling or one chips. I do prefer a medium length, but I don't like filing my nails, so they tend to stay long until it's impossible to type or to do up a button.

7. bhickmon

bhickmonNew Member

Threads:
    My nails end up breaking off themselves, even if I use a nail strengthener! They're very brittle and also will bend rather than grow straight out. Is that some kind of nutrition deficiency? I've tried the fake acrylic nails before - my fingers are rather short so I feel like longer nails make them look more slender, but they're so expensive and hard to use and get dirty. I'm usually a low maintenance kind of girl.

8. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    My nails aren't very strong and continually break or chip so no long nails for me. I also do a lot of typing on my laptop and long nails would make it a lot more difficult. Although I love the look of nice long nails, it isn't practical for me.

9. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm really lucky because I naturally have nice nails. They grow to a lovely length. I don't like them growing too long however, but normally I don't like them too short either. I love how mine also grow a lovely shape. I like being practical however and don't like them too long.

10. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I like a decent length of nail though I can't with my own. I do too much outside in the yard and a lot of DIY projects, and work on the computer a lot. So my nails are usually kept about 1/4 of an inch just above where the finger meets the nail.

11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I've always had the impression that long nails are very untidy. Dirt can easily get under the nails. Also, I hate it a lot when women grow their nails, but they don't pay so much attention to actually maintaining it clean all the time.

In general, I prefer my nails to be short all the time. It's very practical and no need for too much manicure or nail art. It may look plain, but plain is always more safe.

12. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    My nails also grow long very easily, I used to go and get them manicured at the shop once a week when I had the money. I found the polish would chip easily if I did not wear rubber gloves while cleaning. I stopped getting my nails done when I learned the UV in the nail dryer will prematurely age the skin on your hands. there are times I would like to get my nails done again but now I don't make the income I used to so I just file them to a medium length. I make sure I use the nail brush to keep the tops white. Looks so much better.

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I used to have long manicured nails and I used to change colors every week. This practice makes my nails brittle, so I stopped doing it. I switched to having short clean nails and I like it better this way. Having long nails was quite stressful for me. I cannot play the guitar properly, and I had a hard time hitting the keys in my laptop. Now, whenever I see my nails growing, I cut them immediately as I am no longer used to having them long.

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to grow mine but they split when they get to a certain length. In the past, I have tried taking various nail supplements but never saw much improvement. These days, all I do is file them regularly and make sure I wear rubber gloves when doing the dishes. I also use quite a lot of hand cream.

15. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like clean, short, neatly groomed nails that are glowing with health. I can't be bothered with manicuring or painting my nails. As a matter of fact, I get really bored with people's obsession with finger or toenails. To be honest, I even feel disgusted by the look of some of the nails that I see around me. Nails that have gone all brittle and yellow with the constant application of chemical products.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My nails are short. They break and split if I let them grow too long. Also, it is hard to do any real work with long nails, reaching inside of things often break off or chip my nails when cleaning or gardening. Short nails are easier to care for and keep clean. The long nails look pretty but don't work well when you are busy with your hands.