Language Translation Apps — Ever Used Them?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Aug 20, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Traveling somewhere and don't know the language? That shouldn't worry you.

There are some really great language translation apps that can help with any communication problems you might have had to deal with.

While yes something might be lost in translation odds are it's a lot better than using sign language.

Think you can't travel to a cheap destination because you don't know the language? Use the apps. Save some money.

#1Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not exploring Google Translate for now because we have a trip to Vietnam next month. When we were in Beijing, China last January, we thought to just Google Translate but unfortunately, Google is banned in China so the translator is also not accessible. For now, I am compiling short sentences and phrases in Vietnamese that we can use when we arrive in Vietnam.

3. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Well, traveling with translation apps makes easier the traveler as long as you are allowed to get into the country without having to delete all your data and apps, or you are willing to wait for the customs authorities to review the content.

Yes, installing them back once in a country is an option, but I still believe that a pocket printed dictionary with useful phrases for travelers makes the trick with efficiency, as always since the beginnings of the times... well the times when this aid began to be used ;)

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use them all the time, as I work as a translator. For me language translation apps have become essential. Sometimes I find myself in situations where I can't think of a certain expression or word, and I simply use my google app to quickly find an answer. I've started learning a new language in the last year, and having a dictionary and phrase translator in my phone comes in very handy. I am particularly fond of my dictionary of idiomatic expressions.

5. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's great if you can carry one on your cell phone. It will be handy on the go. Besides Google, there is iTranslate and it is pretty straightforward. For Asian countries, especially China there is Waygo. It allows you to take a photo of something you don't understand, so you don't actually have to draw out the symbols.

A couple of other apps are iHandy and Voice Translator. I don't know too much about these, however, with Voice Translator you can actually record a phrase and it will translate it for you.

6. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I work at a chiropractor's office and recently an individual came in speaking very little English, and I was able to use the Google Translate app on my iPhone to communicate with her (that and my broken language that she speaks in). It worked really well and both her and the doctor I worked for were impressed by this technology!

You would have to be cautious though because the language spoken via a translator app like that may be more formal than what the individual is used to (like more formal verses slang). But overall I don't think it really matters.

7. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    translator apps are really effective in traveling and helps a lot to communicate with locals and make your travel experience more remarkable. Corzhens! Although Google translator is really helpful but I must say there are lots of other apps available like
    iLingual.