Laptop Or Desktop

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Corzhens • Feb 2, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband is presently evaluating on what to buy as replacement for his old desktop which is still running on XP. I reminded him that his new computer would be using Windows 7 at least but more likely the news desktop would be installed with Windows 10. For a laptop, he has to adjust because the monitor is not as large but the portability is the advantage.

With the cost, laptop is more expensive than desktop. So it seems to me that he is inclined to buy a desktop.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless your husband wants something he can take around with him wherever he goes then buying a desktop computer would be the better option.

Why?

1. Desktop computers can be upgraded easily.
    2. Assuming the price is the same, a desktop computer will be more powerful than a laptop.
    3. They aren't as fragile as laptops.
    4. They've got a longer lifespan.

#2Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Nowadays I hardly ever use my desktop anymore because I usually use my laptop whether for making documents or connecting on the Internet. I however have to agree with what @Denis Hard@Denis Hard said about desktops being more durable than laptops so if your husband is looking at quality more than portability, then a desktop is more recommended. I remember my old computer set which is almost 20 years with me now and still working compared to my husband's laptop which has been with him for 8 years but is now almost ready to give in to total damage.

4. BradL

BradLNew Member

Threads:
    Well if you purchase a well equipped laptop then you will never miss the desktop. Currently I run both a laptop and an older desktop, but I do prefer the power and performance of my newer laptop. If you want the larger screen and full size keyboard you can always get a wireless keyboard/mouse and plug in a big monitor to the laptop. That will give you the best of worlds. Desktops are still great for being able to simply add a new/bigger hard drive or better video card, but again if you purchase a well equipped laptop that won't really be a concern.

I still run Windows XP on my desktop, my laptop has Windows 7. I "upgraded" to Windows 10 (free if you have 7 or 8) for about 5 minutes and did not like it so I rolled back to 7.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a set preference as both are equally handy and can help you generate income online. Convenience-wise, a laptop is far more advantageous. You can bring it with you anywhere. Comfort-wise, a desktop is far more comfortable to use because you can have a much bigger screen and a mousepad. Laptops overheat often while desktops are more sturdy.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless your husband intends to bring his laptop outside when he travels, then I think that he should just buy a desktop instead, because it's more durable. It's also not prone to overheating like a laptop.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love laptops, and don't really see the need for a desktop. It is so comfortable to sit with your laptop on your lap and type away, I don't think I would ever trade that for better computer performance. I mean laptops are cheap enough now, that you can always buy a used one if yours breaks. Yes, it is a hassle but currently, most data can be synced.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too prefer laptops, but can totally see where Denis Hard's coming from. I think his pointers are particularly handy to consider if you'll only have access to the one option. I think for me it's very easy because we have 2 laptops and a desktop. I use the one laptop, my husband prefers the desktop and then the one laptop is a spare. So I can hop between my laptop and his desktop if he isn't working.

9. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have much of a preference over one or the other. I have both and I use both all the time. I like my desktop for certain things but my laptop is pretty handy since I can be in any room when I use it unlike the desktop. I would say that it depends on personal preference, what you want to use it for, the price, and the systems that you want it to have. Making a list of the pros and cons can help you to decide which is going to be the better one for you and your husband.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have also been looking at getting a new computer. I found a good laptop on Bestbuy Refurbished at a price I like. I need a laptop because I go out to clients where I will need a computer. I also need to replace my tablet, that seems to be harder than getting a new laptop. I want a tablet that I can do work on not just play games, I don't play games on my computers.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well depending on your husbands needs for a computer he should choose accordingly. A laptop is good for on the go and if you got wifi anywhere it's great! I like both desktop and laptop because a laptop you can bring with you anywhere when you need it, but a desktop is a wide screen option for home use to watch what you like, get the long duration things done on a desktop.

12. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Might I recommend something even cheaper than a desktop? You could buy a thin client. They cost next to nothing - less than $60 and if he likes xp then well he can install xp on it. These are really cool to look at, and they are so efficient, I can't believe that every office or home doesn't have one of these babies. Check out this pic to know what a thin client looks like:

PCExpanion.
    You see that router sort of thing on the left? That's the whole computer! I am not kidding :) I am also assuming that your husband already has a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse since he already has an old desktop :)

13. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @djdontpay@djdontpay, thanks very much for your suggestion. This is the first time I've heard of a thin client. You are right, we have a desktop with a complete set that includes a monitor and a keyboard. Maybe if it is that cheap, as you said costs next to nothing then maybe we can give it a try. But first, we have to look where to buy it. We never buy gadgets in online stores to avoid the problem of returns and exchange in case the item is faulty. But I'm sure there are thin clients in computer stores here. Thanks again.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now that I am looking to get myself a gaming system so that I can run games in a smoother and more efficient fashion, I am starting to think that desktop computers are the much better choice. I have learned that I cannot update my current laptop in an easy fashion, in order to make it the gaming system that I want it to be, whereas I would have been able to do so with a desktop for a cheaper price than buying a whole new gaming laptop.

15. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah. If you're looking for a mean gaming machine, a laptop would just not do. Laptops tend not to be easy to upgrade or improve. Plus, the kind of heat that is generated on an awesome gaming machine, simply makes laptops useless. Who wants to carry around a 10+ pound thick ancient looking gaming laptop when you can have the best gaming experience with a desktop :)

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I know. My current laptop is an Intel graphics card, which for the game that I want to work with, sucks. It doesn't matter if I put all of the settings up to the best settings or not, the game still looks like shit, and I did not know why until I started to do more research into graphic cards and laptop abilities as far as gaming goes. I have seen those Alienware laptops that are designed to game on the best settings but they cost so much money. I only want to play one game and use it to make movies, and I am not prepared to pay over a grand for that.

17. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that desktop computers can be much cheaper, however I need to be able to work on the go, so it has to be a laptop for me. I have an Apple Macbook Pro, which might not seem to be the best financial option for many people, however I have had it for 5 years now so I would say that it has been good value for money in the long term, which is great.

18. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if you get a student discount or something, a macbook is still a good buy. But, you know, you can't really open it up to play with it. I had a macbook for a long time, my heart would sink just thinking about the what-ifs :p Not that it wasn't covered or anything, but still, its expensive to maintain.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    I was actually thinking about getting an Apple Mac, since i produce music. But I seem to be able to do all of the things on PC that I would be able to do on Mac. I could be wrong though, because I do not have all that much experience with Macbooks. I am now wondering how gaming would be on a macbook pro though, and if investing in one of them would be more beneficial to me financially.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think for casual use or if you're not going to be using heavy programs then both can be a good option depending on what you prioritize the most. I've heard that laptops tend to have a short life span these days so it might be better just going with a desktop since you could repair it a lot more easily and exchanging parts isn't too much of a chore either. If you value portability though I guess it's still much better to get a laptop and maybe you could just get one of the cheaper ones since you won't be installing heavy programs on it anyway.