Laptop Overheating

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by akiii123 • Oct 10, 2014.

1. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Laptop overheating is a common problem that is seen almost everywhere. I am facing this problem for quite some time now and have bought the cooling fan to help reduce the overheating problem. I think the PC heats even now to quite an extent and has not stopped yet. What other solution do you think can be used?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Laptop cooling pads are useless unless you plan on placing a laptop on a bed or somewhere that constricts air flow. The real problem is the fans on your laptop and the heat ventilation areas. Unscrew the laptop's case, clean out the entire thing with canned air, and then make sure the fan/vents are clear of dust. Update your computer's drivers, too, in order to boost performance and reduce CPU load. I guarantee your computer will function like it's brand new and run cool unless it's ancient.

3. Hamz10

Hamz10Member

Threads:
    Try to buy some thermal compounds it's inexpensive and easy to use. Make sure it's compatible for laptops and just apply the sufficient amount for your CPU. This will greatly spread out the heat of the CPU fan and cool down your laptop from the inside. A laptop cooler fan is also a good option to go for!

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If you're just looking for a quick fix then you could try what I did for my ancient laptop which was to get a small desktop fan for it. Cooling fans just aren't powerful enough for the amount of heat my old laptop was putting out so I used one of our old small fans that was powerful enough for the job but at the same time small enough to be a right fit beside the laptop.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Iv'e always wondered how laptops keep from overheating. There doesn't seem to be a place for a cooling fan. Note, even if there was a place for a cooling fan, given the small size, how could you upgrade it?

6. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I your laptop is already heating up I don't think a cooling pad can really help you out. It's OK to have one but there seems to an issue with your laptop fan. Just check the air vents too which are meant for a smooth air flow. Some times the fans do not work when dust accumulates inside it. Even if the fan works and the air vents are blocked your PC will over heat.

Always keep your laptop on a hard flat surface and never place it on a bed which can adversely affect its air flow. Cooling pad will only give air flow from outside and can't help the airflow inside. If you are not confident enough to open and check it take the help of an expert. You can have a lot of videos on YouTube to guide you in this.

7. AlexZ

AlexZMember

Threads:
    If you are not cleaning the cooling channel regularly, and it does build up to the point where it is a layer like a piece of felt, and you could peel it off in once piece... then canned air is only likely to separate it from the heat sink, and not really break it up. If it is broken up, it will only be into large chunks.... and in more than one instance I've seen these large chunks of material ball up in the fan and stop it from spinning. You read that right. If you let it go for too long, and you blow a burst of air into the fan, you could actually make the situation WORSE than it was before.

8. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    My laptop was giving some kind of a grinding noise which was unbearable. I downloaded a software called Speedfan which gives the CPU temperature inside which was sky rocketing. Before taking it to a PC expert I decided to try my hands on this. I typed my laptop model number in YouTube and searched for videos. I got it easily and finally I could open the laptop. I took out the dust ball from it and closed it again. But the noise was still there.

Then I searched in Google again and found that it may be because the dust could enter into the tiny ball bearings of the fan. As suggested there I put a drop of machine oil (car oil was easily available) inside the center part of the fan. and rotate it a few times. After that there was no issues and it's still working fine. I also bought a cooling pad for an extra support.

9. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been seeing many posts in some technical forums about overheating laptops. I am to buy a laptop before Christmas (if my budget would permit) and I am in an informal research on laptops. That overheating issue bothers me because I don't want to have a laptop that overheats. But I suspect that the heating may be caused by the hard disk. I have several experiences with hard disks that overheat which I couldn't hold because the case of the hard disk may smolder my hand.

10. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I also experienced this kind of trouble with my laptop before and it shuts off itself when it's too hot which is really unbearable especially since I'm working that I cannot tolerate it from happening over and over. So I did bought a cooling fan and I hope my problem will be solve but I was wrong. So I did some researched and I found out that the laptop's fan should be clean so that's what I did. After that, my laptop is working fine again. So I think you should clean your laptop's fan perhaps it's too dirty that air can't go through that's why heat is being stuck inside.