Laptops VS Desktops

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by vpresson • Sep 29, 2013.

1. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a laptop I have always gone with laptops cause I like being able to be on the computer where I can take it to places that have wifi I can be in my room or living room while on it. Sometimes I even take it outside and enjoy nice weather while on my laptop so I prefer laptops over desktops but I know some people who still use desktop. My mom still uses one and she will not get a laptop she rather stick to desktop also my mother in law and sister are the same way. I think laptops are better cause it's all of a desktop without taking as much room as a desktop and it can be moved easily any where and also cause you can connect it to your tv and watch movies or whatever on your tv. To where desktops not so much and are much more of a hassle to move and stuff in my opinion laptops are better. Which do you prefer a laptop or desktop?

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I use a Macbook Pro at home, for all of the reasons you mentioned above. Rarely am I on the computer at an actual desk. I like that it is small, easily portable, and lightweight.

My husband has an iMac at work though, and can't live without it. He likes the big screen, he likes the amount of memory it has, and truth be told, he likes the cheaper price. He has a program that allows him to access his desktop at work from his iPad at home, so when he needs to work remotely, it is easy.

I think it definitely is a matter of preference and certainly there are some professions (like graphic design) which will more than likely always prefer the big screen of a desktop computer. But for personal and home use, I've found that a laptop is nearly always preferable.

I might change my opinion when my kids are on the computer. We will probably have to have a designated space where they must sit so they can be monitored. I don't plan to allow my children to have computers in their own rooms.

3. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer my desktop because it is much more powerful and customisable. For people that enjoy things like gaming, a desktop is so much better.

But i prefer my laptop for stuff like mobility like you mentioned.

4. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer laptops for versatility and convenience but a laptop will not come close to a desktop in terms of power and performance. A good desktop will always have better specs than a good laptop. I don't use my laptop often, I prefer to work at my desktop as that is my office space. I use my laptop when I am on my travels.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My laptop is my desktop lol. I only switched to laptop because I had small children and the keyboards were constantly being replaced because of spills etc. I won't ever take my computer with me.. if I leave the house, there's no need to be connected to anything but the people I'm with or whatever I'm doing. It stays home with my cell phone LOL

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer laptops, especially nowadays that they're so advanced that they are already almost as good as desktops. I remember just a few years ago you'd feel like you were giving up some power and functionality in place of portability, but nowadays laptops perform very well and have hard drive sizes beyond mere basic necessities. I prefer them mostly because I like being able to work anywhere either just around the house or even being able to take work with me to coffee shops and other places.

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Though a desktop is more powerful, I would prefer a laptop any day. I'm much more productive with a laptop because I can bring it anywhere I want and work anywhere at any time. I can't do that with a desktop PC because it's not mobile. Also, a laptop is much easier to setup as compared to desktops. I hate having to connect multiple wires. That's another advantage of laptops over desktops.

8. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    This is a matter in which I have a divided heart. In my work I use a laptop while in my home I enjoy the use of a desktop computer. The first option offers me versatility, fast processing and of course, the laptop takes up little space. On the other hand, my desktop pc back to the fondest memories of my technological life. Still, the desktop computer is more comfortable, more solid and has more possibilities for customization. In fact, with a computer like that, we are forced to use a specific place in our house and that generates a "special bond". Within reason, it is easy to migrate to other technologies, and can often change only part of the machine. Similarly, it isn't necessary to rely on a charger, we plugged it into the electrical outlet and forget about energy issues. However, the notebooks also have points for, especially as it relates to mobility.

9. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    The moment I got my first laptop I just knew it was going to be my go to computer. I am one of those people who feel a lot better and productive when I know I can take my laptop to go if I ever needed it. Therefore I am always doing my most important work on my laptop and traveling with it as well if I ever need to.

10. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I generally prefer desktops, because I feel like they last a lot longer and are more durable, but I'd have to go with laptops at this point in my life since they're more convenient. It'd be hard to only have a desktop when it comes to schoolwork and things of that nature. I'd much rather have my computer with me at all times, and unfortunately, with a desktop that is not possible.

11. vpresson

Threads:

I can understand the need for a desktop when it comes to business but for personal I agree I much rather have the laptop. Yeah my kids will probably get a desktop so I can watch as they are on it.

Well I like gaming too but I still use my laptop cause I been move to room to room when I want to play but enjoy the outside weather lol

12. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm right on the same page as you...I need to be able to be mobile with things. It's nice to have your devices with you when you may need them, or even just be able to switch rooms/go outside/.switch positions more easily. Desktops are bulky and not as suited to my needs.

13. Kcmoney

KcmoneyNew Member

Threads:
    Just recently I have begun working via a computer. I have found it is going to be easier for me to work via a desktop computer versus a laptop. Currently my laptop is my desktop or work computer. My plans are that soon, when I am able to, I want to get a desk and desktop computer with an extra monitor so I can have a central location for work and when I go to watch TV at night I will have my laptop as my social or recreational computer. Having my laptop will still help with my work when I need to go mobile on vacation. I am looking forward to the day when I am completely set up and working. My solid answer to you is I like both desktop and laptop the same.

14. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I willl always prefer a laptop over a desktop. It's not as bulky as a desktop, and it doesn't take up so much space one. I like the fact that I can carry it with me everywhere I go so that I can access free Wifi. I love using the freedom and convenience that my laptop gives me.

15. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what you do and how you do it. If you move a lot and need your work to come along with you, then sure, get a laptop, but if you prefer performance instead of mobility, then desktop is the only way to go.

16. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    I agree. It depends on your needs. You can always buy a powerful laptop but it would never be as efficient as a desktop. :) The only advantage of laptops is mobility. Maybe a little bit of savings when it comes to electricity bill. :)

17. vpresson

Threads:
    I agree I think desktops are perfect for business and people who do a lot on the computer. But for people like me who mostly do surveys email and social network and games it's all I need.

18. vpresson

Threads:
    I take mine sometimes to like star bucks just to relax and what not. I don't ever take it when i'm with other people but I do have a bad habit of taking my cell every where and from time to time I get on my phone to check things while with others usually when I get bored lol.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For gaming purposes, I prefer a desktop pc, since their keyboard is more comfortable to use when gaming. But when I'm simply surfing the net, I would prefer a laptop.

20. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer my laptop over a desktop. I have had a laptop for a very long time. My mom has a desktop and she likes it better than a laptop. I like the laptop because I can take it with me everywhere. I do many things on my computer and I like to be able to continue my project whenever I have to go out. I know that desktops are the best for gaming, but I know that you can also game on a laptop. You just can't do as much gaming as a desktop. All in all I will still prefer the laptop.