Last Time You Were Scammed?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by TheViper • Dec 23, 2013.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    We've all been done this road with our online shopping.

I've been scammed about five times when purchasing online. The most recent involved a purchase from eBay for jewelry gift set that was suppose to be all gold. Instead I received gold tone painted jewelry and a oblivious eBay seller that had no clue I had received that item.

When was the last time you were scammed?

2. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I was scammed after purchasing a wig off of Wig.com.

They advertised the wig I purchased as having real hair as well as combs. After receiving it in the mail, I found that neither claims were true. Then, I spoke to another rep who made it clear I couldn't return the wig.

3. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    You may not believe it but I've never been scammed before. It's due to the fact that I only buy from reputable online retailers and certified sellers on ebay. I know how it feels like to get scammed because I got scammed in real life before so I hope that I'll not face this situation when shopping online.

4. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I once bought a Steam account (accoutn with games on it) from someone and it did not have the games I paid for. Apart from this, I have always been very good at avoiding scams.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was scammed some time in August. I paid for some software which [the owners/sellers] claimed could perform a certain purpose. I paid $29 for it but when I started using it, I found out that it was the same software that was being offered elsewhere free, the only difference being, that they'd changed the name and appearance of the exe file.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I was scammed quite often when I was still actively investing in HYIP sites. But the last time I got scammed was just recently, I ordered a gig that was not delivered as advertised. So I complained to the seller and I got my money back.

7. XxMotleyCrueXx

XxMotleyCrueXxNew Member

Threads:
    I was scammed by steam, I purchased Garry's mod for half life, well I made a error in my card details before purchasing so my payment was declined, I corrected the errors and finally got Garry's mod but was charged TWICE for it! I contacted steam support and they didn't do anything they never responded to my case I opened with them. This was months ago by the way.

8. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    You should have sent out a claim with your card. Don't just let yourself be scammed out of money even if it may have been a mistake.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought some games from eBay recently that were supposed to be "like new" and when they arrived, they were scratched up. If I had spent that $45 on Amazon, I could have bought some used games that were in better condition because the Amazon used games are usually in really good shape. I made an exception and bought some games on eBay for the first time in years and got some scratched up junk.
    Live and learn.

10. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    my experience could be the worst because I am selling a service online, I give the right service with free ebook worth $45. The buyer, after few days, filed a dispute through paypal. and the worse thing is that paypal always favor the buyer. so he got back his $300 and benefited the services I gaved. thanks to paypal!

11. Cindy16

Cindy16Banned

Threads:
    Seems like you have gone a lot already when buying online... I would like to offer you this free eBook which would serve as your guide when buying online... It covers topics on how to detect fake and real products, how to calculate tax, difference in shipping method, safe payment methods and the like.. Don't worry, it will not require you any payment..we give it to you for FREE...

12. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It is not a good experience when you get scammed. I have been scammed once for a program that stated that I will be paid to work online. By the time I was noticing that it was all a scam, the money was all gone. I even tried to use PayPal for a refund but all was not possible. Well, those were my desperate times.

13. kindredsoul

kindredsoulNew Member

Threads:
    I bought a car but never saw it.

My boyfriend met this nice man who said he was selling his car. He met my boyfriend at his house, and they talked for awhile. Well, the guy ended up getting $200 out of my guy by telling him he would be right back with the car. Of course, he never came back. I can't believe my boyfriend fell for that one. I must admit, I was surprised that people could be so cruel. I was 17 at the time.

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never been scammed. Perhaps because I am very cautious what I buy online. I generally only buy books, movies and personal care products. All the DVD's that I ordered from e-bay were always exactly as they had been described. I don't think that I would ever buy jewellery over the internet. I hope you were able to return the jewellery and didn't lose too much money.

15. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    We get tons of scam emails and it's usually very easy to dismiss them as something that you'll not fall for but I was surprised in one occasion many years ago to have clicked through a fake ebay email and sent my username and password.

Why did this occur? I was actually expected a winning auction ebay email at the same time and just rapidly clicked through the scam email by mistake - the website and everything else looked the same and I only discovered my mistake when I couldn't access my account via the scam website. I quickly changed all my access details for all relevant sites that used that password at that point.

16. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    Not sure if this counts as getting scammed, but I once bought a tablet with a warranty of a year. Unfortunately, the digitizer stopped working after two months and when I contacted the seller for repairs, I got no response. I eventually gave up and bought the digitizer off eBay for $20. Not much of an expense, but a rather unnecessary one.

17. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    That would be about four years ago. I did some work for a sponsored post network called Blog Distributor, they owed me $850 and they then went silent and didn't pay me or reply to my emails. They thought I would grumble and go away - boy were they wrong!

I wrote several articles about them on my blog and also on some very popular MMO blogs, I shared the saga a lot on Twitter and Facebook, and then I hit them in the pocket by contacting their business partners and telling them what they had done - two of their business partners immediately pulled out of their deal with them, that was when the CEO of Blog Distributor contacted me and told me they had not paid me because I had earnt too much.

They eventually paid me in three installments and I received $600 of the $850, not perfect, but at least I got the majority of it in the end.

18. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    Luckily i never got scammed till the time lol you can say it went in my favor and the reason behind it is choosing all the stuff sensibly before approaching something and that is how it all works. This is something which have made people disturbed while going for online webs but at the end of the day learning from them works.

19. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    I have had my fair share of scammers over the years. However, none recently. The last time I was scammed was from a person who was developing a website for me and, to my stupidity, showed me a snapshot of a website that he had downloaded for free online and was 'selling' to me. I sadly sent the payment for the developed site and he sent the completely unchanged website to me.

Oh, how naive I was back then (hopefully not anymore).

20. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    Last time I was scammed, it was when I was the seller actually. My product was fine, but the buyer claimed that he had been hacked and that the purchase wasn't valid. However I knew for a fact that it was, as I had been in contact with them in a number of ways. Ended up losing fifty pounds because of that, and still have the black mark on my account.