Last Time You Were Scammed?

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by TheViper • Dec 23, 2013.

1. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last time I was scammed was the situation with this company that makes websites for you and you auction them off. They just called me. They never did that before. I would have to call them for them to call me. They asked me if the website was for sale. That was confusing to me so I asked them if they meant it was okay to go ahead and sell it or if it was already put up for sale. They then acted like they couldn't hear me and hung up.
    I believe you can't call them back on the number as I tried before. The strange thing about this is I was told before that you had to have a certain number of posts to sell it. Also they said I would have to wait 6 months. It hasn't yet been 6 months. Surely, they must have known that I didn't have enough and when I signed up for this shady deal.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Did you report them? If you paid by credit card or PayPal, you should be able to get your money back. And even if not, you can report them to BBB to at least tarnish their name for false advertising.

3. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Whew! eBay is a hotbed for scams. I have been a victim myself. I was sold a counterfeit DVD of The Dark Knight. I received the DVD and it had Asian writing all over it. I looked on the back of the disc and the coloring as a weird orange. I put the DVD into my player and more foreign writing came across the screen and the entire film was in a language that wasn't English. Needless to say I was scammed. The upside to this was I filed a complaint with PayPal and got a quick refund. Nowadays, I only go to reputable online retail store like Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, or Target for any DVD.

4. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    I was scammed with a book about social anxiety. The marketing promised new techniques to overcome social anxiety, but it contained information that I already knew. Be careful with self help books about anxiety, they promise a lot and when you read it, it tells you that you have to face your fears to overcome anxiety.

5. luigi

luigiMember

Threads:
    I don't think I've ever been scammed. Anything I buy is usually looked over before purchase, or I buy only from trusted sellers online and offline. I've had instances where items I've received where in bad condition or the wrong color/size, but they issues were addressed and resolved promptly between myself and the seller. I suppose I've just gotten lucky.

6. JudyCap

JudyCapNew Member

Threads:
    I was scammed by a company saying they were Avast virus protector. There was suppose to also be a 15 dollar discount if you bought it that day. I used my debit card to pay for it and soon found out I was billed 66.00 and some change. My computer kept telling me that I was using the 30 day free trial version. I didn't feel like messing with it then so kinda blew it off. When it got close to the date it would run out I finally started searching my email to find the link that I used to sign up for it. I finally called Avast and told him what was going on. He asked me for the email address I used when signing up. He looked in their records, and couldnt find it. He said what most likely happened is that some place scammed me. I had information for them on them from the bank transaction, and the name they were going under. I told him that. He found their phone number and said for me to call that and demand my money be refunded. Guess what> the phone number was no longer in service. I tried again a few days ago, that time I got the message that "This 800 number is not available from your area." I did find a place on their site, that was for questions or comments that they would get back to you with in 48 hours. I left a message that if they didn't get back to me that there would be fraud charges filed. I called my bank, and asked what the process was. She said I needed to come in and file a formal complaint. I gave them a little more time than the 48 hours, because of the weekend. I told my bank I would be in Monday morning to file. I will check my email that I used for that transaction before I go in. But I can just about bet there is nothing there. My advise to anyone ordering something like this to make sure you are buying it from the company that actually has the product you want. Not one that is phising it.