Leaky Faucets Could be Costing you!

Discussion in Water started by Zapped • May 24, 2012.

1. Zapped

ZappedMember

Threads:
    I just discovered a good reason to make my husband fix our leaky Faucet sooner than later! Leaky faucets can really add up on your water bill. I just read an interesting article about it

2. GGGuardian

GGGuardianMember

Threads:
    Wow I never really thought about this. Thanks for the share my friend it really came in handy! :)

3. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    It is very true. We had leaky faucets in the past that we let go and we couldn't figure out why our water bill was so high. When my husband finally got around to fixing the leaky faucets, we noticed a huge drop in our water bill. It does pay to get those leaky faucets fixed right away. You will be saving money on your water bill if you don't let it go too long without fixing them.

4. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    This is all common sense. I hate to pay water bills if much of it was just wasted because of leaky faucets. A day of a leaky faucet could cause you close to a dollar. A dollar would mean so much if you are trying to save. I suggest that we have to treat leaky faucets as an immediate concern because not only that we are wasting money, we are also wasting water which is one of the few basic needs of life.

5. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, we had that problem back in my old house. Almost every faucet in the place needed repair. Mind you that was a kitchen, and 3 bathrooms, all with leaky faucets. So you can just imagine how angry I was when that water bill came. Glad we don't live there anymore lol

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It is amazing how much water is wasted by those little drips. If you put a container underneath the drips, you would be surprised at how much there is in just one hour! It really does add up quickly and most of the leaks can be repaired fairly cheaply. It is best to get them fixed right away.

7. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    It's very important to check all the faucets at home as well as your shower and make sure there are no leaks.

8. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I have a leaky faucet in my home and I did everything to fix them. I tightened it with pliers and it helped the situation. My bill isn't that much a month, but I have noticed a spike in water usage. I called the plumber and it was fixed within a matter of minutes. My bath tub leaks the most, and it drives me crazy.

9. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    This, actually. I thought most people already knew that leaky faucets would add up to the bill even still?

10. dexterlablab1

dexterlablab1Active Member

Threads:

Well, at times, even the smartest of people have no clue on the simple things. It happens.

11. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I guess the simpler things in life get passed by because of how busy we are with he specific things. :(.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It isn't the water bill I worry about (I live in an apartment versus a house) so much as it's the gas bill (our heater is gas rather than electric) because the water that leaks is burning hot for some reason even if it is turned off on the cold side. So yeah fixing a leak may well save you on two bills versus just one.

13. jayjacinto

jayjacintoMember

Threads:
    Well I surely don't have a leaky faucet at home but last year I had to dig up a spot because of a pipe leak! It costed me a lot for a few months, I was trying to tolerate the water bills but it kept going up so I had a local plumber check my line and there it went.

14. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah don't I know it. I live in a house that has several leaks in it and believe me it does our water bill no favors. My brother has tried to fix some of these leaks but some of them aren't that easy to fix and could require a plumber which we can't afford.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I agree that leaky faucets can definitely add up to our water bill, that's why we really need to check our faucets and tanks for leaks. Our bathroom bowl had a leak, and we had to call a plumber to fix the leak. The leak from our bathroom bowl drained the all the contents of our tank in one day. What a waste. So it's really important to check up on all our faucets in the house to prevent wasting water and money.

16. sbg101

sbg101New Member

Threads:
    Even when the repairs are not cheap, it still is worth taking care of. The water bill payment I made today is as close as I've ever come to actually enjoying paying a bill. Our water and sewage is billed quarterly instead of monthly, so by the time we got our first bill this year it was more than a week into April. The known (and tolerated) small leaks in bathtub faucet and toilet tank suddenly became much worse, as the difference between the 4th quarter bill of 2012 and the 1st quarter for this year was quite literally breath-taking.

We had our plumber replace the faucet, mixer and a good portion of the copper supply line for the tub/shower, then decided to go ahead an invest in a brand new toilet. The gravity fed 3 gallon toilet that was an original with this house built in 1952 was replaced with a high efficiency power assisted toilet that came with a really good 10/5 year warranty.

The materials alone were certainly not chump change and then the added cost of labor was an uncomfortable sting to our bank account. However, the savings are so much that we will break even before the end of January 2014! So, it is indeed worth it even when the upfront costs are pricey.

17. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    Leaky faucets, running toilets and sometimes undetected leaks can really run up a bill. The way to test is shut everything off and look at your meter. If it is spinning water is going somewhere. A friend just found a sprinker in the corner of her property was leaking under the soil, possibly for months or years. After capping the leak the bill went down by over a third of the prior average months.

A plumber can be expensive, but if you do detect a leak, shop for a plumber or handyman appropriate for the job.

18. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you for providing this link. I do agree that leaky faucets can really drastically increase the amount you're required to pay on your water bill, which is why I like to ensure that a leaky faucet is fixed as quickly as possible. I also like the idea of buying an aerator to place on water faucets to reduce the amount of water coming out of a pipe. I have to get one of those.

19. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I've only just moved to metered billing so this was something I didn't really pay much attention to in the past. I suppose that's one more advantage of metered billing, it encourages people to be vigilant about wasting water where they otherwise might not have been.

20. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Not just that, but what can further help you on the water bill is these little pieces you can screw on your faucets and they help you save water by reducing the size of the hole that the water comes in, and you don't even notice.