Learn To Sew

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • Nov 25, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At times it can take just a little more effort to save money.

Have you ever considered making your own clothes? Do your own repairs? Re-purpose old clothes?

Learning to sew can get you all that and a little extra because your neighbors and friends could find your services helpful. In a short time, the time and money you invested in buying a sewing machine will start paying off huge dividends in the form of savings and the little extras you'll make from your neighbors/friends.

Interested? You'll find all the information you need on the site linked to below:

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can sew and used to have a machine and used to make my own clothes and yes, mending clothes can save money. However, making your own clothes can cost more, material is more expensive and then you buy a pattern and sew. If you have material given to you that is free, that will save money, but my own landlady gave my friend her sewing machine and then found out how expensive material was! It's good for tailor made things, but basics can be cheaper in the thrift store or on sale in the shops.

3. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My neighbor knows that I sew and lead me to a YouTube site where a young woman actually had brought clothing from a thrift store and altered them to fit her. She would also save on her patterns by disassembling one of her own dresses or skirts. Now that's saving money.

I personally go to estate sells where I can find material, threads, and other sewing accessories.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that only people that have the inclination to sew clothes as a hobby would consider doing that. Sewing clothes takes time and effort, so you're better off just buying cheap ready made clothes in the mall or thrift shop.

5. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I tried to learn to sew, but I can't seem to keep a straight line even with a machine. I don't have a machine right now, but I am planning on getting one soon. I would love to make my own clothes. For one, I have a slightly odd shape so what fits my waist doesn't fit my butt and so on and so on. It would be nice to make myself custom fit clothes. I also have my own ideas for designs that I would love to create. The biggest plus is that you would save so much money on making things yourself. Not to mention... you'd have something that no one else has or will ever have because it is yours and yours alone. LOL

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I sew mostly to repair torn clothes or modify the alignment of buttons or patches. We've been taught the art of sewing since elementary. I even had sewing classes. Although I'm not the best seamstress there is, if I make an effort, I'd definitely be able to sew a dress of my own design. I also bought this little electric sewing machine. I like it better than the manual one where you have to pedal your way to be able to sew a cloth.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    My grandma loves sewing and knitting and crocheting and such....she's made clothing and bags and costumes. It's an impressive skill that she's spent years working on, so I definitely see how it can be worthwhile and helpful, I want to learn enough to do small repairs and maybe even make small things, but I doubt I'll ever get to the level that she's on with it.

8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    In my country, if you cannot sew, people will either think you're a young, untrained person or that you're handicapped, not in the physical way, as a matter of fact, sewing is taught at the preparatory level so, every child has that skill. I once made a table mat and my mom made hats and shirts, so, sewing is a good skill to have, I agree with you @Denis Hard

9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the link! I know how to sew, basically However, I cannot make new clothes, just repairs. Learning how to make your own clothes is a skill that I really want to learn because it is very useful. Also, you can use this skill to earn extra income. :D

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    A few members of my family are tailors and seamstresses so I never had any trouble with finding someone to help me get new clothes to fit via alteration. It also provided me with the environment and experience of being in a tailor shop so I actually know a bit about sewing and I usually do mend my own clothes whenever there's a few threads loose. I can operate the machines to some degree as well but I think I'd need a lot of practice to be more useful at it.

11. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I make my own clothes and for my whole family. It certainly saves us a lot of money in all aspects. There are a lot of tailors and seamstresses here, but if I use one of them, I still have to pay for materials and the fee for having clothing sewn. By doing the sewing myself, I am saving a lot of money. Going to the mall here is not a good option because everything is ridiculously priced and imported. What I like about sewing for my family as well is that everything is custom made and custom fitted. No one else has what has been made. I don't follow ready made patterns for sewing. I sew free hand and create my own patterns if I need to. Sewing is also a great skill to have because I also save on curtains and sheets by making my own. I have also been able to make some income by sewing for others.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Sewing really looks like a difficult job to do, so personally, I really didn't have the guts to learn it. But I wanted to one point in my life. But because doing it even you already have possessed a high or above-level average of proficiency, it still would take a lot of time to finish an item out of it. So I never really bothered myself to learn it. But yeah, it would really be a great advantage if you know how to sew. First you would be able to manipulate or repair your clothes yourself. You could even have you concepts come to life. Once learned, it's a skill that would surely pay off, both as a past time or a livelihood.

13. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I used to sew from childhood until my first year of college. Then I became bogged down in work, studying and living. I sewed my dress for my brother's wedding. I was proud because my mom and I purchased the same material. We made different dresses but out color and texture of material matched.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been able to save a lot of money by making my own repairs and alterations. I have made a few items of clothing for my kids over the years, and I saved a ton on Halloween Costumes. I've also found great deals on clothes that have a small tear in the seam/hem or that are missing a button. You can get a big discount on items that need small, minor, simple repairs. A lot of people will skip these items, but they are too good for me to pass up. If I can get a great top for half of what it normally costs just for spending two minutes to add a couple stitches, I'm all over it.