Learning How To Drive

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by May102014 • Jul 30, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    How easy was it for you to learn how to drive? It was so difficult for me in the first two weeks. I was nervous sitting behind this huge vehicle. I thought I would smash the car and kill people and myself too because I didn't get the feel of the car right away. It was different for my brother. He was so fearless and learned rather quickly. So, my dad took me to driving early in the morning to vacant streets during the summer time. By the end of the second week I was more confident. How was your experience learning to drive?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I learned to drive a long time ago at the age of 14. My first car was a stick shift, lots of fun. I have taught my daughters to drive and even had a job teaching teenagers to drive. It does take a little bit to get use to the power of the vehicle and all of the things you have to pay attention to. Not just what you are doing but the other drivers.

Congrats! Be safe out there.

3. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I learned when I was 17. I took driving lessons once a week for 2 months. I didn't practice much in between because my dad didn't have time to take me and my mom got super nervous and scared me. It was hard for me to learn and after I got my license I didn't drive much because I didn't have a car. Now my partner and I share a car but he does most of the driving. I'm still bad at parallel parking but now I drive ok and with confidence.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't. I've had my permit a lot and have let it expire so 50 dollars would continually have to be spent. I've took driving school though but I've never really went out and practiced. Most of my practice was done in parking lots. I'm just way too irrationally afraid to drive so even just practicing is hard for me.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was pretty young [around 12] when I started getting driving lessons but my mom wasn't too keen on that so I had to wait a little while longer. I took up learning how to drive when I was 17 and I didn't find that hard though initially, I found shifting gears to be somewhat hard.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a late learner. I learned how to drive in my mid twenties. And of course, I was also nervous at first to step on the accelerator, release the clutch, etc. But I practiced in an open field so I didn't have to worry about bumping into things and stuff.

Now, I'm driving on my own. However, I still am a nervous driver. My heart races when I'm behind the wheel. Fortunately, this has little effect on my performance as a driver. It's nice to drive. Just be a defensive driver and everything would be alright.