Learning How To Sew To Save Money

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by remnant • Jan 12, 2018.

1. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Learning a few basic techniques of sewing like hemming, backstitch and fixing buttons is quite good to save some money and only visit the tailor for bigger repairs. Some people discard clothes entirely due to inability to do minor repairs or wait for small tears to expand.

2. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    Agreed. I have a sewing machine and I stitch and mend my clothes. I don't have a good sewing skill, but even with my rudimentary sewing skills, I am able to save alot of money by mending my clothes and reusing them. I wish I could develop sewing skills and stitch my own clothes. But I don't have time to learn.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    It is quite easy to learn how to sew, in our school it was even taught in our home economics subject. I actually sew minor tears and holes in my clothes, and I also repair loosened or disentangled buttons.

4. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    I also repair my clothes. I never let small holes become big. I also like replacing my clothes by getting new ones. I have a sister and we are the same size. I am 8 years older than her but we have the same height. So I give her my clothes which she likes or want before I get new ones. So I rarely wait for clothes to start getting old and tear because it won't be good to give out "ugly" clothes.

5. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I honestly think learning how to sew would be an effective way to save money. Learning how to sew can be pretty easy if you have easy access to the internet, I am pretty sure there are plenty of channels that will teach you how to show in just a few videos. Definitely a good money saving idea.

6. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I know of many peole who actually makea living from sewing. I would like to admit that I have nio idea in knitting, but I woukd prefer to learn sme of the simplest sewing practices so that I could repair my clothes. This will indeed save for me a lot of money, since the money I would spend on the tailor, Iwould use it to do more things.

7. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Sewing is one of my top priorities on skill acquisition because it's something very lucrative from where I come from. Anyone that knows the skill well makes it big in business. There is this trending clothes that is called "Senator". It's actually attire worn by the top politicians in the country, should one master sewing it perfectly, it pays well.

8. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    Well learning any skills in life is a great way to improve your lifestyle and enhance your life in every aspect as it will be good

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I bought a used sewing machine last year and taught myself to sew simple items like the basic skirt, pencil skirt, and sleeveless blouse. I has helped me save money because I never had to buy these clothing items again. I've also learned how to sew bed sheets and pillow cases. These are fairly easy and quick to do because they mostly require straight stitches.

10. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I can sew minor damages on my clothes but I cant sew clothes from scratch. The basic skill of fixing some minor damages like a hole on a shirt is life saver. My overweight cousin borrowed my shirt without my permission and it in end having damages. I get to restore it on my own.

11. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I was taught to sew at school and although I hated the classes I'm glad now that I had the opportunity to learn as I am able to repair most clothes or other items if I have to. I wouldn't want to make a dress now but my mum used to. She had an old fashioned sewing machine and made my sister and I some lovely clothes. I think that making your own clothes is more a thing of the past now as I don't know one single person who would be able to do this today even though it was quite commonplace in the 50s and 60s.

12. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    I know how to sew and I must say that it did save a lot of money. I learned sewing because of my grandmother who likes to sew and knit a lot and it was also taught in my TLE subject back when I was a sophomore in high school.

13. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    I did learnt about stitches during my secondary school days, it helped me a lot with stitching up my school dress that always get torn by our rough seats and my rough plays back then, I wouldn't dare ask my parents for money to take it to the tailor because I will have my head bitten off. So the lessons on stitches I had back then was helpful to me.

Now learning to sew is another different level of work, it takes time and dedication to master it very well and I'm not quitting until I become very good at it. I have seen people take very good care of their families by working as a professional tailor.

14. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say that learning the act of sewing is the best way one could get to save cost on buying some clothes as well as repairing some torn clothes as well. Sewing is a basic skill that can be helpful especially when someone got no money to spend on paying another tailor to sew for he/she.

15. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. My mom was a tailor and she has sewed many clothes for us since we were young, and now she still makes some clothes for our kids sometimes. That certainly helps to save some money. Though I am not good at sewing, I can do a little bit of mending and that helps to save some money too. I didn't know it's actually quite expensive even to sew a school badge on the uniform. It can actually be done quite easily in a short time, though we might require patience to make it nice.

16. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    With ready made garments now available I doubt if it would be profitable if one stitches oneself. Also it takes away a lot of time. I did try to master the art of stitching but gave up as I am just not cut up for stitching. I am good in other things. To each their own I suppo9se.

17. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Some clothes are very costly here getting to sew it by a professional tailor for you. Some cost more than $30 depending on the tailor that you are making use of. So therefore, you can imagine the amount of money that you get to save should you learn how to do the sewing yourself? This is actually the reason why I'm making it one of my top agenda this year.

18. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside of mending you can make things for your children too like stuffed animals saving so much more money with gifting these things too. You can customize your clothes by adding pockets, or bedeck and glamorize your clothes with patches.
    How+to+Sew+on+a+Patch+%25281%2529. .
    Adding snazzy buttons for accents. Sewing your own grocery bags is easy; just take a bag you like as a pattern leaving at least half an inch for seams. It's great to know how to sew for you can save a lot of money and have custom made clothes, like adding pockets when you need them.

19. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    This is really a good skill to master because it's have the possibility of making you a rich individual and not just to save money. There are professional tailors out there who make a good and comfortable living by sewing designers wears. They charge pretty high for their services and people still troop in to have classy wears made for them.

20. Martinsx

MartinsxActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I love those badges you have uploaded on this post. It reminds me of my good old school days in secondary class, where we normally call it patch patch. It looks cool and customized if you have yours done well. I love using anchor seal badges to patch up my trousers because it looks so cool. Although our school principal always frowns at such wears that are patched with badges, he would always seize them.