Led Bulbs- Can They Save Money?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by naruto100 • Jun 26, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Hi guys.

I have heard about LED bulbs that they can save your money by spending less electricity. Well, we already having CFL bulbs at our home which was popular in past for the same reason. Now people are saying LED bulbs are even more good. But we haven't used it yet.

So what do you think? Should I upgrade my all bulbs from CFL to LED? What is the difference? I mean is using LED can make too much difference in compare to CFL?

2. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I have switched from CFL bulbs to LED and I have seen the difference in electricity charges. I suggest that you give this process a try and then you can really determine if whether the change was worth it. You would not be losing out in any case because I know you will see definitely see some positive results.

3. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @explorerx7@explorerx7 Thanks, finally I got at least one reply. Lol.

Well, LED bulbs are not that cheap, so changing all bulbs at home will cost more. I don't mind in that, but if it is almost same in compare to CFL then it doesn't make sense in spending money. That's why I asked it. Good to hear that you are getting positive result from the LED. I hope I can hear bit more about same from other users here.

#3Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2017
  4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, LED bulbs can definitely save you from the consumption of electricity because the design of LED bulbs emit more luminosity with lesser power consumption. However, we haven’t switched to LED bulbs yet because it costs more than double the CFL bulbs of the same luminosity. Besides, it is a waste to throw the existing CFL bulbs that we are using. Maybe for our next replacements of the bulbs, we would try the LED.

5. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy YEs that sounds logical, even I am having CFL bulbs here only. And due to high cost for LED bulbs, I am thinking about twice to upgrade. I mean if it is really worthy then only upgrade has some sense. But yes that is good idea that stick with CFL and next when we really needed any we can go for LED. Like this way slowly but it will be convert automatically.

#5Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2017
  6. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    LED lights are getting cheaper than ever what with the many playerS in the market. I don't think they cost double the price of CFL bulbs. I actually still prefer the long florescent tube with 20 watts consumption because its good enough to illuminate the entire living room and parts of the dining room. It will take me two LED bulbs to replace that which is even more costly. I'm using LED bulbs in the bedroom though and a CFL bulb in the kitchen area. I don't mind not replacing the CFL bulb if it's serving its purpose and have the same consumption as that of LED.

7. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Even I have noticed that LED bulbs are not giving that much light compare to others. But as we can save money it is okay as we can go for bigger watt.

I don't know about current costing, but in the starting when I asked about the pricing of LED bulb then it was on quite higher side. But yes competition can change whole thing.. I will ask about the current price in the market. But I am still confused if I should replace them with my current CFL bulbs at home or not. I guess I should continue with them till they last long.

8. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure that I would go out and buy LED bulbs yet if you still have the other light bulbs to use. Maybe like another poster said to change them as you need them until your whole house is switched over. I am worried that the LED bulbs do not give off the light like other bulbs so would that really save you money if you need more bulbs to get the same amount of lighting. If they are more than the CFL bulbs then I am not sure that I would use them anyway since the CFL are pretty expensive. I never found that the CFL bulbs would last 5 years either.

9. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I think LED bulbs are energy savers. I use LED bulbs in my home. LED bulbs also last longer than filament bulbs and CFL. LED bulbs are expensive, however, in our local store we get one year guarantee, which means if the bulb stops functioning within one year, there will be another replacement. Because of replacement guarantee, I always use LED bulbs.

10. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Even I am confused and not sure about it. So yes better I wait with CFL and when they gone out I can purchase new bulbs as LED instead of going for whole new change right now. I am having one LED bulb at home right now which I purchased recently. Yes light is not that good as compare to CFL, but still it is good and okay if I can save electricity with that.

11. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    LED bulbs started out being quite a bit more expensive, but they are coming down in price. They also last a really long time, so it balances out since you don't have to replace them as often. They also tend to put out less heat that other bulbs, so that's a good thing too.

We bought some at Lowe's that were quite reasonable, and they back them up. We had one that went out fairly quickly, but they replaced it free of charge, no questions asked. We haven't had any trouble with the others that we purchased, just the one, so that doesn't really bother me.

We just changed out a few of ours at a time. Not only due to cost, but also because there was no sense in wasting what we already had. Our electricity bill is a bit lower. There are probably other reasons as well, but we do think the LEDs helped.

12. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    We use LED lights at home and yes they can save electricity, therefore they can save you money. However, they are a bit pricey compared to ordinary lights but they can save you in the long run. I also noticed that they are brighter compared to CFL bulbs which is a plus :)

13. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    That's really good. Lowe's , I wonder if I have heard that name, but that's good that you were able to replaced without any questioning. Good service for sure.

I didn't about heating thing with LED bulb but its good if produce less heat compare to other bulbs. For now CFL bulbs are at my home, so I will wait for their end before going to purchase LED bulbs. Lol, I hope till than price will be down even more.

14. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    You mean LED bulbs are brighter than CFL. I guess I have heard reverse thing. Here people says they have less light compare to CFL. Even at my home there is one LED bulb which produce less light but I guess it is of less watt. There is some confusion here. Not sure. I will checkout.

15. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I see. I guess it depends on the wattage. Well our LED bulbs are brighter compared with our CFL bulbs (before) even with the same watts. I haven't encountered any LED bulbs that aren't brighter than CFL bulbs, unless we are comparing a low wattage LED bulb to a higher wattage CFL bulb.

16. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    The more expensive the bulb the more money you will actually save. It is a long term investment so Led is definitely a must have because not only it is eco-friendly. It will save you money for a longer term.

17. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure where you're located. I'm in the US and Lowe's is a home improvement store here. They have lots of stuff for building, repairing, and doing maintenance for your home. Maybe you have heard of Home Depot or have something similar. You can shop Lowe's online too, if you don't have access to one of their home improvement centers (although, I'm not sure how it would work out with shipping, depending on where you are).

18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I also gathered that LED bulbs can help to save energy and cost on electric consumption. LED bulbs are quite expensive relatively but they can save on energy consumption which on the long run is more economical. Apart from the advantage I have observed LED bulbs give better illumination compared to the others. Right now I am using a combination of the LED bulbs and the CFL.

19. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I am from India. I think I have heard the name, but I am not sure. I will search about it online. Thanks for the info.

Just yesterday one of the CFL gone dead and I have purchased new LED bulb. Its really good, it came with 1 year warranty. And its not that costly either. It is surely giving good light compare to old CFL bulb.

20. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Same here. Now I have decided that when CFL bulbs will end up I will purchase LED bulb only. Like this way after some time all will be replaced with the LED. Just yesterday one of CFL bulb got fused and I purchased LED bulb for my room. Even I have heard about advantages of the LED bulb. So I am going for them only for my next purchase.