Led Lights Getting Cheaper

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Alexandoy • Oct 25, 2016.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was reading the papers yesterday when I came across the advertisement of CDR-King on their LED light bulbs which comes with 2 years warranty and costing only about double that of the ordinary CFL (compact fluorescent lamp, the successor of the cylindrical fluorescent). Based on my computation, if that blurb is accurate, I guess that LED bulb is economical. I will try to buy this weekend, even one bulb only for testing purposes. Think of the savings we will get because the electric consumption of LED bulbs are only 20% of the normal.

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    True, Last year I bought 10 bulbs of 14 watts at the rate of almost $4 each but now the same bulbs cost less than $3 each. All prestigious bulb manufacturers have reduced the prices since almost everyone is buying them and the market is full of LED bulbs. CFL has almost lost out to LED because better light at lower consumption of electricity at very little extra cost.

3. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it is really a good sign to save energy and also help us save a lot of money on our electricity bill. A few months back our Electricity Department has given away LED bulbs at throwaway prices i.e. two bulbs per bill. I think it will come down further as new researches are progressing in this field. There are many projects online now and I think in very near future a substitute for LED would come up. Then it will again lower the prices of LEDs.

The best part about LED bulb is that it lasts for a long period of time. Then you can also save a lot of money avoiding new bulbs every year or so. I heard that something like old incandescent light is in the pipelines which will use some other metal than tungsten which uses only very low power than LED and also lasts many more years.

4. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    That appears to be true as I've seen more on the market for cheaper prices. It's a good and economical move to invest in a few. I am planning to get some during November where I should be able to get that at even cheaper prices. Just going to buy enough to last a long time.

5. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am not surprised that the prices for the LED bulb have been gradually dropping. This is not something new. It's a usual feature for a new products to be a bit costly upon their introduction, however, as the demand increases the price will decrease in most cases. This may be so because the production level would have been increased which will result in a better cost advantage for the product.

6. JoushaP

JoushaPNew Member

Threads:
    Technology grows by the second. With time LED tech gets cheaper as we see it today. By your computations alone, your electric bulb should drop significantly. If you really want to bring down your electric bill, look into saving power on your appliances. I know in the Philippines, air conditioning is huge. It's really hot. Cutting your usage on that with added fans should help.

7. Alexandoy

Threads:
    We had done that computation on our appliances and the resolution is to buy new appliances that are rated much lower in consumption like that inverter refrigerator and air conditioner. No, we do not have the budget for that so the only saviog we could do is to turn of the lights and appliances when not in use. With the LED, we are still awaiting for it to go lower in cost because the CFL bulb is almost equal in consumption - that is based on our latest computation vis-a-vis cost of the bulb and luminosity.

8. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    LED lights are going to become even cheaper as new inventions and innovations continue in this area. In reality, this is the trajectory of most products which are usually expensive at the beginning but become cheaper over time. For this reason, its good to stay one step behind in terms of technology if you are serious about saving on your bottomline.

9. JoushaP

JoushaPNew Member

Threads:
    Well in the meantime, before you are able to purchase more appliances, you should try and minimize the time used on the older appliances. Cooking on a open fire helps a lot. Use normal settings on your refrigerator or maybe downsizing to something smaller would be wise. I know people that actually have gone back to DC coolers and use solar cells to supplement the power needed to power them. It doesn't look good to visitors, but who cares about that?

10. Alexandoy

Threads:
    It may sound absurd but we sometimes use firewook when cooking for an occasion. Especially when tenderizing beef which takes hours in the stove, we use firewood for the 4 kilos of beef in the big cauldron. It's a good thing that the vacant lot beside our property have "ipil" trees which wood when dried are so good for fire wood. But normally, we cook in our kitchen using the gas stove.

11. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, that is a good news. At home we have to units for that. I was able to purchase them by coincidence. Two of our CFL bulb were busted. I went to our local store here and it so happened there were no more stock of the regular bulbs that we were used to avail of. And Led light bulbs were the only available. Therefore, I bought them. I didn't if those bulbs contributed much of our reduction in the last two months electric bill consumption. If they did, I would compel to change the other bulbs with LED light bulbs.