LED Lights - One way to save on electricity

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Matt24 • Sep 22, 2013.

1. Matt24

Matt24New Member

Threads:
    One way to save on electricity is through LED lights. This is a new technology and they are still figuring some things out, but it is more or less finished. As the months pass, the price is dropping even more. These LED lights use only a fraction of the cost that fluorescent light bubs do. In addition, where we live, we are on a tier system. Basically that mean that the more electricity we use, the more it costs per kilowatt hour and we happen to be at the very top of it. As a result, about a year, we will have already paid off the difference in the cost to buy the LED. Finally, we don't really have to worry about the lights heating up the room. Before, we would notice a little difference in the temperature and it can get pretty hot where we live. These LED light bulbs produce little to no heat thus helping save on the air conditioner.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't stand LED lights or fluorescent. I conserve in other ways.. nobody can do it all. Except those that live off the land.. I envy them lol.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    The LED lights that I have purchased have not saved me money personally compared to fluorescent lights. But fluorescent lights give me a headache and there is no mercury risk from LED's so there are other benefits aswell. Also they are supposed to last even longer than the fluorescents.

4. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I don't have experience at home with LED lights, but here at my work they placed LED lights in all the restrooms. They said that those would last a long time, but not even a year after they were placed they burned out, so that's not appealing apart from what you guys said.

5. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I have not noticed savings with the LEDs and I too notice they burn out sooner than they should. The only real way I have saved on electricity is to really cut back on outdoor lighting and I went and bought some inexpensive solar malibu and other lights. It seems the bulbs don't make as much of a difference as actually shutting down unneeded light fixtures.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the things that I like to save money with lights, is to use the solar lights where possible. Once you have spent the initial cost of purchasing the light, it is free to use forever afterwards.
    The little LED lights are perfect for outside lighting, and I also have two small solar powered flashlights with LED lights, so I always know that i have a flashlight when I need it, and it is always right in the sunniest window to stay charged up, so I also know right where to find it when I need a flashlight.

7. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Advantages of LEDs

LED lighting is probably the future for most lighting purposes. The initial cost for led lights is still high, but the potential savings are significant. For most uses an LED light uses about 1/2 the power of a comparable fluorescent light and 1/10th the power of a comparable incandescent light. Significant savings result from the greater life expectancy of the led lamp. Fluorescent lights contain mercury and other toxins and present disposal problems and require caution when handling. Incandescent lights use so much electricity that they present environmental problems in that way. Incandescent lights are useful for heating purposes, but infra-red leds may be used for this purpose. I also cover this topic on my blog, Pendrake's Passions.