LED Monitors Vs. LED TVs

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Oct 18, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm planning on getting a desktop monitor soon and I was considering just getting a tv instead since I could potentially get a slightly bigger screen only for a slightly higher price. The thing I worry about though is that I will be using it for graphic design and I don't know if designing on a TV screen would be optimal. Anyone here who has had the experience of using both? What would you say are the biggest differences and would you recommend one over the other for a desktop PC that I plan on using for design and gaming?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's one main issue that comes into play between an LED monitor and a larger LED television being used as a monitor. If you're sticking the monitor or television on a desk (typical setup), then it's going to be in the same spot no matter its size. Your position relative to the screen itself won't change if you're sitting there doing a productivity task. A great monitor size for desks is 24" because you can see every detail on a great monitor and comfortably look at it.

When you stick a large television in that same place, you're going to have a harder time seeing everything in a comfortable manner (28" and up is where this happens to most people). Your eye strain will increase, and the image quality will seem a little lackluster and even blurred in some cases. Text won't seem as crisp and clear either. You can avoid this by putting the television back farther from where you sit or moving backwards yourself a little bit.

It's not a huge difference unless your eyes are strained easily while looking at a monitor, but a smaller but higher quality screen is more useful over the long-term.