Left Over Coffee

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Ke Gordon • Nov 22, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What do you do with your left over coffee in the pot? Do you throw it out, or drink it the next day? Or do you have some other use for it? Fresh coffee always tastes best, and that is what I prefer strongly. I will admit though at times I drink day old coffee if my coffee supply is getting low, and I don't have either the cash or the time to go to the store...What about you?

2. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I no longer drink coffee, having given up caffeine completely over a year ago. However, my parents make a pot of coffee everyday, and usually have leftover coffee at the end of the day to throw out. However, instead of throwing it out, my mom uses it in her flower boxes on the front porch, and her flowers look great! The coffee seems to really perk up her annual flowers, and they seem to last much longer than the regular season. If you are considering dumping out your old coffee down the drain, consider dumping it into your flowers outside instead!

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of people put it in a jug and reheat it. Personally I think it's not pleasant, so I think it's much better to just make as much as you think you will drink rather than have left over coffee. In the UK coffee makers aren't as popular so it's not such an issue, as people will use instant (which is okay to good in the UK) and people rarely have leftover coffee.

Most people I know will just make a fresh coffee instead because it tastes better.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I have leftover coffee I put it in a jar with a top on it and put it in the refrig. The saved coffee is used as the liquid when I make cookies or brownies to enrich the taste of the brownies.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Back when I still drank coffee and still used brewers I'd just use the day old coffee as I'm not really that finicky about it. However I admit that there is noticeable difference in taste so if I really disliked it I'd probably just turn it into iced coffee drink or something. Most of the time I just throw it away, but that was back then when I didn't know any better and now I'd probably make more of an effort to save it or make use of it because I'm more aware now that it would be money that I'm throwing away if I did that.

6. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    I have made iced coffee using left over coffee. I have heard that even some coffee places will use left over coffee to use for iced coffee drinks. Using coffee for plants sounds like a nice tip. Your mom must have a green thumb. I have also used left over coffee in vanilla ice cream. I'm pretty sure you can get really creative on what to do with coffee.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Having left over coffee is a rare thing in my house - however on the few occasions that I do have some - as I hate anything going to waste - especially as there really isn't any reason why black coffee should be wasted when it freezes incredibly well - I generally freeze mine and either drink it as iced coffee at a later date or use it for baking, adding to smoothies, ice cream or any other kind of cold dessert.

Oh and the grounds are generally added to the compost or made into fertilizer for my plants.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I throw it out! I never reuse coffee, it doesn't taste good if you do it. I like my coffee fresh, so I much prefer making just enough coffee that I know me and whoever else I make it to will drink than making more than needed and having to throw it away later on,

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like fresh coffee as well. My husband and I drink very little coffee so I just buy instant coffee. I am thinking of getting a coffee maker. I do like the idea of saving the old coffee and using it to make iced coffees later on that day. This would work well in the summer. That wouldn't bother me one bit. In the winter I could see saving the leftover coffee and using it for baking or in desserts. I just found a recipe that uses coffee in the marinade. Here it is.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's never any left over coffee in my house - a cafetiere will always get finished and the grounds end up in the composter. I could see it working well for desserts although I admit I don't much like the thought of drinking it after an hour or so.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:There's only me in the family that drinks coffee, so one coffee maker pot goes a long way. I store it in my thermos and it tastes almost like fresh made coffee and this coffee lasts me 2 days. I like the tips for using lift over coffee in ice cream, giving it to flower beds and recipes that calls for coffee very interesting too.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a very British thing too. People in the UK just don't do it, because it seems so wrong to do it. It's like making a cafetiere, you only make as much as you know you will drink. In the US people tend to make a full jug even if they only want a cup and I was 'horrified' that it was quite normal to store it for a few days. Hence I always take sachets of instant with me, because that is better than a reheated coffee that is a couple of days old.