Left-overs For Breakfast?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Little Poon • Sep 24, 2012.

1. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Something about an egg pizza seems a little unappetizing to me whether it's a leftover or not. But then again, I've never tried it so I guess I can't judge.

2. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I also eat left-over food from dinner to breakfast and yes Pizza is one good example. You just have to heat it again and it will taste just like a fresh one. Another example is lasagna and roasted chicken! :D

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I eat leftover dinner for breakfast and sometimes I have chocolate chip pancakes for dinner. The beauty of being an adult is that there's no one around to tell you that you can't eat pancakes for dinner or that you'll spoil your appetite if you have a cookie.

4. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Normally I don't eat leftovers for breakfast however on the rare occasion I do it's almost always pizza. For some reason if I have meat and potatoes for dinner I feel like it's too much to handle in the morning time. :p

5. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I am always eating different things for breakfast. If I miss dinner I will eat it early that morning before I leave and go to school or work.

6. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I don't really eat takeaways so don't have them for breakfast, but I do use leftovers of things I've cooked myself, for either breakfast lunch or dinner! I don't like sweet foods in the morning, so much prefer savoury things, and leftovers save a lot of time. Soups, salads and stir-frys are nice and light for breakfast, but of course bubble and squeak has to be a treat every now and then!

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah... that's it - a um snack. I would never eat more then you know one or five slices or anything.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Lol!! I meant in terms of texture and preparation.... not in quantity. When I have a snack, I don't tend to spend very much time on it or bother cooking/heating snacks. They're quick to grab and go. That's how I would see a cold breakfast leftover, even if I eat a ton of it, hehe.

9. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    Lots of people like to reheat pizza for breakfast. I find that my pizza tastes the best, when I first eat it hot. It loses something the next day, like chinese food does, just my taste buds.

10. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have! I for-some very strange reason, feel so guilty when I do. I feel like its a unwritten law of the universe that you shouldn't eat take out for breakfast! But I do anyhow sometimes, not often. I think my favorite is cold pizza fresh out of the fridge!

11. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I love cold left over pizza for breakfast! Sometimes I eat leftover dinner for breakfast the next morning, other times I'll save it for lunch or dinner. I don't ever let food go to waste so I eat it at some point.

Lately, since it's in season and my neighbor has a tree, I eat pindo palm fruit for breakfast. Mmmmh, nothing better than that! :) I do usually prefer something not sweet, as in, sweet cereal or cake, etc for breakfast. 'Sweet' fruit I'd much rather have!

12. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    Yep! If I have leftovers, I always try to finish the rest for tomorrow morning by heating it up or throwing it into an omelette. I'd much rather have my breakfast heated up than eaten cold.

13. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I was very pleased to discover this thread because I have a great suggestion to pass along regarding the use of leftovers for breakfast.

Let me begin by saying that my wife is a very good cook. When I was a patrol cop working the dreaded evening shift (famous for starting out busy and ending even busier), my wife always had something ready and waiting because I often had my hour-long dinner break cut short - sometimes very short. I started dabbling in cooking while I was a cop to relieve stress, and I eventually got really good at it, so now I'm the head chef. My absolute favorite dish is spiral-sliced ham with a New Orleans root beer glaze. For the sake of brevity, I won't post the recipe here, but I'd be glad to share it if you're interested - just send me a message.

When I cook a ham, I always do it on Wednesday so it can spend a couple of days soaking up the glaze. Saturday brunch is when the leftover magic happens. It's a little spicy, a little sweet, and perfectly smoky when Saturday rolls around. I use the ham to make an Eggs Benedict that would blow your mind. This is the one dish in my arsenal that I will continue to eat beyond the point of being full. Four perfectly poached eggs, a homemade hollandaise that I have spent several years refining, and a champagne mimosa (or two:) - let's just say that it is a culinary experience that is hard to beat.

If you're interested, message me and I'll provide the recipes for both the ham and the eggs benedict brunch. Trust me, if you do it right, you'll achieve instant kitchen rock star status.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had never thought of using Root Beer on a ham before, that sounds really good as a matter of fact. I've used Ginger Ale in the past as well with good results too. Ham is perfect for leftovers too, it will last for days.

With regard to the holandaise, once I tried the Julia Child method, I never went back. You just throw everything except the butter into a blender, then stream the hot melted butter into while the blender is running. The heat from the butter as well as the friction from the blades cook the egg yolk perfectly. No need to fuss around with double boilers.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I think everyone eats leftover dinner for breakfast unless they're very rich and can afford wasting very good and consumable food. My family tends to eat leftover food and just re-heat it the next day.

16. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love having leftovers for breakfast. I think it actually tastes better the day after because the food has cooled down and the flavours can develop, especially with spicy dishes like curries and stir fries. I've found that the full flavour doesn't come out when the food is really hot and the same applies when it is too cold.

17. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely heat up leftovers.. if we even have any. We usually just make enough for the meal. But I agree with everyone, the flavours are much better left overnight in the cold :)

18. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say Breakfast, but i think the next-day's lunch or even dinner is not that uncommon. But having fast food for breakfast is a bit too much for me, even if i like it a lot.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes if we have leftover steak fries in the fridge, I will cut them up and use them for home fries. They need to be really thick cut fries though for it to work. It's pretty straightforward since they are already seasoned. All you need to do is fry them in a tad more oil along with some peppers and onions if you like.

Any leftover meats generally work well as a filling for omelettes. You can also use them chopped up as part of a potato hash.

20. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE cold left over pepperoni pizza for breakfast. If it's dipped in Ranch dressing and followed by a sparkling soda, then all the better. These days my pizzas barely make it to the breakfast, though. My boyfriend can eat more than half of a pizza!