Leftover Rice

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Alexandoy • Apr 28, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 Gee, that’s one creative recipe you are making. My creativity with rice is up to fried rice only where I mix bits of meat, vegetables including green peas, and most of the time there is egg. But I still have to try adding cheese and potatoes. With the milk and sugar, oh, I don’t think that is a good one here because what we use for that is the glutinous rice and not the ordinary rice. But thanks anyway, that’s a good food for thought.

#21May 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2017
  2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy Great to know you liked my recipe I am thankful as well inspired to quote a few more. You can easily make small balls (Dumplings) of rice after mixing it well in mixture/grinder and dry them for some time under the sun until hard. These small balls which may be fried, or baked in a casserole make a good item to be used for a quick snack with a cup of coffee or tea :)

3. Zero

ZeroActive Member

Threads:
    Well i believe that you should try not to waste food regardless of the amount, you might think it's not much or won't affect you in any way but other than storing it for later date you can give it to a homeless person who needs it the most.

4. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @janemariesayed@janemariesayed I do this too as I'm very nervous about eating reheated rice. I know it is probably safe as long as it is cooled and put in the fridge and eaten within 24 hours, but my friend ended up in hospital with salmonella poisoning after eating rice she had reheated. That has stuck in my mind but my dogs love it!

#24May 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @janemariesayed@janemariesayed I am a Punjabi and I too do not eat rice and we eat it as a side dish and as you said it's always too much irrespective of the quantity cooked. We have no pets in our household right from the beginning due to nature of our jobs. We can offer the leftover to needy ones for sure but where we live currently there is no such facility so we take best advantage of the leftover in form of a different dish as and when possible.

#25May 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  6. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, I come from a tropical zone where its cold at night when leftover food is a common occurrence. I just keep the rice in an open container in an airy place away from rodents and insects. In case of slight fermentation, just add prices like hot pepper.

7. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I also do the same as most here I store it in the fridge and have found that rice can be eaten with almost anything and it's filling. I love making fried rice the most and it's quite easy to make. I also love mixing it with chicken or beef along with some veggies and spicey peppers. I can go on and on about how I eat rice but I for sure never throw any out.

8. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    We always re use leftover rice. Nothing is wrong with it. Especially on Mondays. We call it Sunday-Monday. Really convenient though it's not an issue to not re use it since rice does not cost a lot of money.

9. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @Belovedad@Belovedad I don't see why we should not re-use leftover rice as long as it's in usable condition. Besides, there are so many ways one can use leftover rice with little bit of imagination that will leave a Chef astounded lol. I am no good at cooking but I can make at least 20 different tasty items of leftover rice and generally like them more than plain rice. As I said I am not a rice eater basically.

10. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    We always keep the leftover rice in the fridge, and we either reheat it or fry them too. I have always heard my mom say, it's better to use leftover rice for fried rice. I also learned a simple recipe lately which is to mix the rice and eggs, and just fry them - it's like rice pancake. You can also add other ingredients in it, but my kids like just as simple as this.

If there are really too much or just very little leftover rice, we'll feed to birds.

11. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @kaka135@kaka135 I and my family is vegetarian and we do not use poultry products so we prefer potato, onion and peas in place of eggs. It gives an altogether different taste if you mix a little bit of black pepper and coriander leaves just before serving it hot. Although there are number of different ways of making best use of leftover rice but as I said in one of my earlier posts that we are basically wheat eaters so rice is only a side dish for us and we try number of experiments with leftover rice.

12. trea

treaNew Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 That's quite surprising. Something must have gone wrong because you wouldn't normally get salmonella poisoning or any kind of poisoning just by eating leftover rice. But your friend's experience reminds us how important it is to store rice or any food properly to avoid contamination and the like.

As for rice, say you cooked it in the evening, you don't actually have to put it in the fridge. You can just leave it as is and reheat it in the morning. Reheating is the key to avoid spoilage because it removes the moisture from rice and makes it drier in the process. Though remember that without freezing, rice spoilage is very common during summer because of the humidity which moistens the rice too much.

#32May 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
  13. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    @Ray1@Ray1 I like fried rice with onions too. Sometimes when I am too lazy or there's no egg at home, I would just use garlic or onions.

As for feeding the dogs with leftover rice, I remember my dog used to like the rice we fed her, but after some time, she developed skin problem and the vet said rice is not suitable for her. I am not sure if many dogs are allergic to rice, hence I don't feed other dogs with rice since then.

#33May 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017