Leftovers At Restaurants

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TheKnight • Feb 6, 2017.

1. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    When at a restaurant or buffet a few minutes before closing time, you can actually ask a manager or supervisor if you can have the leftover cooked food that they can't serve the next day. In most cases, they will heavily discount a plate of food or in some cases, give it to you for free.

I was at a buffet once and asked what they do with the leftover food they couldn't sell that day and couldn't serve tomorrow. They told me that the staff takes it home to eat that day or next morning. I asked if I could purchase a plate and they discounted 75% of the price.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a savings on already cooked food you can get when you are at the restaurant at the right place at the right time! I certainly will remember this little tip to save so much money. I never knew that you can get this sort of discounts at restaurants. Thanks for the tip!

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is the first time I've heard of that - a buffet restaurant giving the leftover at a discount. If that would be in fashion here, I'm sure I would avail of that sometimes because usually buffet meals here offer good dishes. But that makes sense because I know that there are lots of leftover food in the buffet table especially the food that cannot be eaten on the next day. That's good to be sold instead of being thrown away.

The only leftover we can bring home here is the a la carte that we ordered since we have paid for it already and it is only right that we get the leftover.

4. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I never knew of this opportunity. However, I know that most food items these days are made in smaller quantities to avoid wastage.

The common thing that I do is get my own leftovers packed so that I can use them at home. This is news to me and something worth looking into. Thanks for the share.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    This is the first time I have heard of this but this is for sure a great tip to look into. I have known of employees taking the left overs but not of the costumers being able to buy it at a low price. I don't know if they will do that in the buffet I go to but I will ask incase. I hope they do instead of throwing it away.

6. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    For better results, strike up a good conversation about it with one of the people in charge instead of straight up asking for it. That way, if they start liking how you are, they'll most likely discount it more or give it for free. If you don't have time, you can simply ask what they do with it and if they ever sell it or have people asking for it. Then just ask if you can.

7. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I confess that I had never heard of this before reading this topic (I didn't even consider this possibility), but it was great to know that! Very unsual, but it looks interesting.

The next time I go to a restaurant, I definitely will try this (preferably with my friends, so I don't go ashamed :D). I hope it works (and that the menu of the day is very tasty). :p

8. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    Well, this only works if it's close to closing time so nobody will be around much anyway. The workers are tired and will most likely accept the payment just to get it over with. Either that or they will be too tired to even charge you anything. You have to watch the worker's habits and see which one is the most care free. You'll get the best deals out of them. If they don't mention it, ask for a discount. A 50% discount is a good deal.