Leg hair removers

Discussion in Product Reviews started by amy005 • Aug 12, 2012.

1. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    I have been researching a different way to remover leg hair other then shaving. Ever since I had my first child, I have noticed my calves have had the darkest most disgusting hair ever. I also find myself getting razor bumps a lot more often. So I have been looking for something else to try.. I tried the Veet wax strips but they barely removed any hair off my legs.. Nair seems to have pretty bad reviews. The no no hair system doesn't have great reviews and is way too expensive. Has anyone tried any alternatives to shaving that actually work at removing leg hair?

2. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I've got a hair remover for you, well more like a torture device. This isn't a suggestion, IT'S A WARNING!! Don't think, attempt or try the Epilady.. Just don't do it. The most pain causing hand held hair removal contraption ever invented. It comes with a lovely case, and the actual tool is nice looking too. Don't let the beauty fool you ladies. It works on the concept of a razor, except there are no razors, it has springs, that's right springs. You turn it on, it vibrates and then it begins to rip the hair and flesh from your body. It had to be invented by a man with a cold sense of humor. No woman would do that to other women. Anyone that "gifts" it to you, is no good, they really don't like you. Stay away, far far away!

3. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    If wax strips don't work for you, maybe you could try Veet's electric roll-on wax or even the microwavable warm wax that comes in a jar. Veet even makes hair removal cream products, if you do not want to use Nair's cream. Personally, I find waxing the most effective for hair on my legs. It's longer lasting than cream/shaving and leaves the skin smooth,without cuts and nicks.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard good things about sugaring, though I've never tried it. I'm told it's supposed to be less painful than wax.

5. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I normally moisturize my skin with coconut and olive oil and use a mild soap from the health food store to remove hair. I do not get razor bumps when I use this method. It leaves my skin feeling and looking great.

6. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    You could try laser hair removal. It costs more than other methods, but it prevents hair from growing back, which could make the price worth it. I personally have never tried it, but I'm afraid to wax. I just use old fashioned razors.

7. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Nair roll on sugar wax. It's not messy, pretty easy and the excess washes right off in the shower. $8.00 will give you about 2 or 3 uses worth.

8. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried sugaring, and it is less painful than waxing. However, it did not remove as much hair as waxing would as quickly.

9. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    Very interesting ideas, thank you. That first one sounded pretty scary... I hope you didn't actually have to go through that and just heard about it. A device like that should not have been invented.. Getting back on topic, I will have to try the sugar ideas I think. The waxing does hurt, but I don't mind if it were to actually work. Maybe I am not doing it right? Has anyone tried the Veet strips and actually been successful? Is there a trick to waxing I may not be doing?

10. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    waxing!!!! all the way!!!!

11. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    All the cream hair removers used on the legs are just so expensive. I really wish I could find one of the permanent laser hair removers made for home use that got good reviews. Most people say they don't work all that well. It sure would be nice to never worry about shaving under your arms or your legs ever again.

12. annagoryun

annagoryunMember

Threads:
    In Canada in Shopper's Drugmart I bought Nair hair remover. It's a cream you apply and it sort of dissolves the hair. It is mostly for areas with harsher hair like legs and pubic areas. I completely hated the product after it started to sting my skin. It began itching and now I got red spots all over my legs. Not only does it look unattractive it hurt so much I had to buy more expensive cream with aloevera in it to help remove the rashes and to soothe the area. It didn't just began burning the hair, but it burned my skin way too much. Test out the cream on a small area before you fully apply it to legs and places you do not want to get ruined.

13. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I use Nair or Veet hair removal cream. I buy them from the discount stores, as it works out much cheaper than buying them from the pharmacy or supermarket. Buy one especially for sensitive skin, and remember to test it on a small patch of skin before covering the whole leg. If there's no reaction within 24 hours, it's okay. Depilatory creams weaken the hair follicle, so regrowth is slower and finer. I have Lupus, and I have very sensitive skin, but I'm fine with these products.

14. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I advise using Nair because it does work so long as you follow the instructions. Do not leave it on too long, or apply it to thickly. One fairly light layer ought to do it.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had good results with Nair and Veet as long as I don't leave them on too long. If you leave Nair on for more than the recommended time, you end up with a rash. Supposedly waxing has the best results but is also more painful. No thanks.

16. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I am very lucky to have almost hairless legs, so I don't have to worry about a lot of hair, needing to be removed. But I always thought that Nair was a good way to go.

17. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I hear you. I've waxed my legs exactly once and I'll surely never do it again. The results were awesome, though.

18. liquidfuzzy

liquidfuzzyMember

Threads:
    Don't let the bad experience with Veet wax strips turn you away from Veet in general! Sorry for the TMI, but I was given the worst hair genes and I have to work pretty hard at keeping it away. I have extremely sensitive skin and shaving always leaves me feeling way too itchy, to the point where I'm scratching in my sleep and waking up with awful ingrown hairs! This is especially unsightly in the "Brazilian" area. I use Veet lotion, and I've also had a great experience with the Veet spray-on foam. I can use it anywhere I would typically shave, which is to say my armpits, legs, and the ever-sensitive "Brazilian" area.

It does smell like burning flesh mixed with perfume, I' not gonna lie. But the results are so worth it, and they last a little longer than shaving. My only complaint is it's pretty chemical-y, so even though it's considered safe to use while pregnant, I am not using it right now because I'm expecting.

19. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with the Nair and Veet. If used properly, you will never experience any problems. When my girls turned 14 ( thats shaving age in our family) I was so scared to let them use razors. All I could vision was cuts and gashes and trips to the emergency room for stitches. (ok I am a worry wart) So, I implemented a new rule, no razors. Nair or veet only. These girls are now in the mid 20's and still use it, on their scar free legs.

20. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I find waxing the best. I have waxed for years and I hardly have any hair growing now. The ones that grow are so weak that they come off easily with no pain. I used the Veet hair removing cream and got burns from it. My skin looked like it was scalded. Shaving always makes me feel like a man, I hate those stubs. I agree coconut oil application on your legs for fifteen minutes makes your skin feel like silk after the shave.