Legit places to buy electronics at the cheapest prices?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Denis Hard • Jul 4, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon and E-bay could be great for certain kind of products. While it would be a lot safer to buy everything on Amazon the prices can at times be very unfriendly. Because of that, I've looked around the net for deals on electronics but most of the sites where the prices of what they sell are much lower . . . are sites I've never heard of.

If you've bought electronics online from sites other than Amazon and eBay, which of them would you recommend?

2. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it depends on how lower you're trying to go. You're never going to get deep, deep discounts without resorting to sites which may or may not be trying to scam you and/or are selling products which have...fallen off the back of a lorry so to speak, if you understand me?

However, one site which I would recommend is Play.com, the HMV site and Zavvi. You'll have to keep an eye on things like this though as sometimes they'll be more expensive than Amazon or Ebay. You could also obviously try Craigslist but...well, it's Craigslist, so be careful.

3. moorecoby

moorecobyNew Member

Threads:
    well i prefer buying my electronics on amazon as well. i think its safer and its getting more popular as well. ive been scammed on ebay and that lured me away from it.

4. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend buying on Amazon. I have had some bad experiences with eBay and a few of the people that I know have had the same bad experiences. The thing about eBay is that you're dealing with individuals you for really cannot trust. Sometimes they are legitimate and the everything therefore good business transaction, but you never really know. Amazon has managed to make sure that people are not being robbed. This system works all not better and is a lot more legitimate than the eBay system. I would spend my money on Amazon any day and I would recommend a lot of other people to go in this direction.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Amazon is more trustworthy than Ebay, but in fairness to Ebay, you have to look at the feedback of the seller too. And electronic items from Ebay Chinese sellers is really not an ideal place to look in you know, because lots of items in China are counterfeit. I think it would be best to buy directly from the manufacturer's site to be sure, after all, the prices go down anyway after some time.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I can't really say that there's a one stop shop for all things cheap. If you really want to go cheap then you might want to go for Chinese reproductions, those things are really cheap but you have to settle with the poor quality. Another thing you can go with is buying pre-owned electronics, they're probably the best if you want to buy cheap electronics but not of cheap quality. If you want to look for cheap, eBay would be your bet. But still, it depends on the electronics you're after.

7. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I prefer amazon, newegg and sometimes ebay. I would never buy really important components, like CPU or motherboard off ebay though, save that for newegg.

8. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Both sites are great sources to get electronic devices. My pick would be eBay because I have the option of paying via Paypal. In case I am not satisfy and the seller is being uncooperative, then I can file a complaint with Paypal to resolve the issue. This hasn't happen to me in years on eBay. Most of the sellers are great and want to provide satisfactory service.

9. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Depends on what kinds of electronics, but I really like B&H Photo Video. They specialize in photography and video but also carry a lot of computers and related accessories, and other electronics like tablets and mobiles, tv's, video games, audio related things etc.

I use them for cameras and camera accessories but also I've bought other things from them like hard drives, computer accessories and peripherals. Sometimes their prices are lower than amazon or tiger direct. I also like that they give you many shipping options, not just UPS. Usually because they offer a cheaper shipping, even on items with the same price I can get a better deal through them. They have great costumer service and are a reputable store that has been around for years.

I like eBay but I mostly use it for used things or to buy Yognuo flashes from china. I would not buy electronics on eBay from china unless you know what you are getting, because there are many fake products being sold as real. You need to be very careful on eBay and if it's too good to be truth, then it probably isn't.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    You could maybe check out DealXtreme for some cheaper electronics. I've bought from them before and my product arrived as described and on time. The only downsides are that they are extremely busy during the holidays so you should assume your package will be delayed during peak seasons, whether due to their side or because of postal services being clogged. Also, the shipping price might be too high but I trust that you'd still be able to get some good deals from them if you look hard enough.

11. ItsZiggy

ItsZiggyNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer Amazon simply because the prices can go somewhat cheaper if you buy it used and the sellers are generally a safe bet, most of my packages are bought on the U.S. Amazon website but shipped internationally simply because the prices on the UK site are the same as the U.S. site with the international shipping included, a bit strange but I have a method so I don't bother too much with it. Amazon would be my recommendation, it's reliable and convenient.

12. devilishomar

devilishomarMember

Threads:
    Online shopping is the way to go in my opinion. I use Best Buy a lot, and I use it especially when I'm buying electronics (a new laptop or an LCD, for example), because they have one key aspect that retail stores don't have: they don't charge tax and they're cheaper.

If you're buying something for around $500 online (from Best Buy or Amazon), that's literally all you pay for. No tax, no extra fees (except delivery charges in some cases). It saves a ton of money because:
    i) You don't have to give tax
    ii) You don't have to pay for costs to get to a local best buy (especially if it's far and you have to drive there)

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I don't think there is a one stop shop. Every store you go to will have variances, otherwise competition will be wiped out. It's just not practical for the economy. I also agree that if you want cheap you buy pre-owned. Refurbished are like new and I've never had a problem with it. All the used items I've bought only have aesthetic damage. The performance has always been fine.
    I would use Ebay as a last resort though. As I've said before, I don't trust PayPal for anything. I just use them because I have to. I have bought from Ebay a few months ago and they seem to be better but I'd still be extra careful about who I'd buy from.

14. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    As stated above, Amazon is probably the best online website to buy new and used electronics. Other sites I like buing computer hardware from are TigerDirect and newegg. Great sites to order computer parts from. As noted earlier for things lie iPods, and iPads and the like Amazon is the way to go.

I find that for things
    Ie older video games ou can only find on Amazon. I looked in EB games for an old copy of hl2 and team fortress and it was not available. I had to getting from Aamazon. In addition I got a used copy foor $35.

#14Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  15. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I am a little afraid to buy any electronics online. I have heard of too many horror stories, and I don't trust even the reputable sites. I want to see it, look at it, and buy electronics in person. I also wonder and worry about the goods being damaged in the shipping process. Is this just me?