Let's Start Thinking Of Father's Day Gifts

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Zyni • May 11, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay, so let's skip the socks and neckties and try to think of some good, affordable, Father's Day gifts. I mean, sure, if the dad in question loves socks and ties that's fine, but a lot of men would like something different.

I never know what to get. I'd like it to be something nice but affordable at the same time. I'm sure there will be sales coming up, so I'll be watching for those, to hopefully take advantage of them. Still, I'd love to hear some fun or Handy or just interesting ideas.

What kind of gifts do you like to give for Father's Day?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What about hand-made presents like framed pictures? My husband and i have done that for our respective fathers in the past, and they've really appreciated the effort. Otherwise we tend to play to what they like as individuals. For instance, my father-in-law loves his old but classy whisky, and we usually have fun shopping around for that for him. The only snag with that is that it does tend to be quite pricey :( My dad loves reading, so sometimes we get him a stack of reading material that we know he enjoys getting stuck in.

3. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    Men are so difficult to shop for in my opinion. It can be difficult to find a nice, affordable gift. My father likes to play guitar so at least I know I can get him something guitar/music related. I guess it just boils down to their hobbies and what they like in general. Also when in doubt, I just make some baked goods that I know he'll enjoy.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I think everyone loves a good meal...how about Dad's favorite foods? Celebrating together Dad's day at home is so great having the family together with all of Dad's favorite people and Dad's favorite foods who could ask for more?

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    These are some nice ideas. Thanks all. Keep 'em coming, please. :D

Yes, I think many men are hard to shop for as well, at least if you are trying to remain within the realm of reasonably priced items, ha ha.

I'm looking for something for my husband, and these tips have proven helpful. I am concentrating on his hobbies and such to try to come up with something nice for him. Then, I'll shop around for the best deals.

I'm really starting to like shopping online from the comfort of home (especially since most of the good stores are a ways away). Saves gas money too, right? ;) I'll see what I kind find on Amazon, since I have the free shipping.

6. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My stepdad loves candy so I try to buy some candy that is on sale at CVS and then I get him a cute card at the Dollar Tree. I would get him gift cards in the past, but he would never redeem them. I find that he likes candy more than anything.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband always say that he has lots of socks, briefs, white shirts, and shorts so those items are out of the list of gifts for him. It's ironic that my husband would be glad to receive chocolates and sweets particularly Milky Way bars (not the bite size though, he prefers the original big bars) or the mazapan, a native sweets made from pili nuts. And he would also appreciate the fresh durian. So for those thinking of Father's Day gift for my husband, that's the hint.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh! In my search, I might have found an idea that could work for you as well, @Lushlala@Lushlala.

My husband likes craft beer, so I thought that maybe I would see about getting him some of the fancy beer glasses. Every type seems to need its own glass, and he only has a few, so I'm thinking this would be cool. I saw some on sale.

I always love wine glasses myself.

Anyway, I was thinking that maybe you could find a nice, reasonably priced set of pretty whiskey glasses for your father in law instead of having to go full out for his pricey whiskey. Just a thought. :)

9. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I can thing of several cool affordable gifts regardless of your father's liking :

- Coffee brewer, or a coffee blender.
    - A year paid favorite subscription site.
    - Cheap kindle fire tablet.
    - A book.
    - Shoes, sandals, etc. footwear in general.
    - A perfume.

I personally would gift my father a decent steel coffee brewer if He didn't have one already.

10. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Father's day not a real big deal like mother's day. Therefore, many fathers don't anticipate anything elaborate on the day. For many just a show of appreciation will do so anything that is pleasing would be welcome.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, that just seems sad to me. I think Father's Day should also be celebrated. I even buy something for my husband, and he's not *my* father. He is, however, the father of my children, so I think that's something to celebrate.

Gifts don't have to cost a lot of money to be thoughtful and nice, so I do agree that a show of appreciation is a good thing. That can be as simple as making his favorite breakfast or buying something fun that's not very expensive.

All men have different love languages though, so for some, the gift definitely matters. Still, it can show thought without breaking the bank. I'm always on the alert for savings, but I still want to give something nice.

12. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My husband love beer too. I was thinking about getting him some nice beer glasses. I can go to Marshall's or HomeSense and pick up 4 nice ones for under $10. We don't spend a lot on gifts it's more the thought. On Father's Day we usually have a great big breakfast at home. I'll make eggs, bacon, pancakes or home fries. The kids will give my husband their gifts and cards they made at school and for supper we'll BBQ some steaks.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a really nice way to celebrate the occasion. We usually do something similar. I make him a big breakfast, since he loves breakfast. He likes omelettes or biscuits and gravy. We usually have some gifts and cards as well. I will make him anything he wants for dinner.

He's the one who does the grilling, so it's up to him if he feels like having steak. You can definitely save a lot of money by making steaks at home instead of going to a steakhouse, yet you still get to have a great dinner.

I'm also going to see if the massage therapy place is running any Father's Day specials, and if so, I'll probably get him a gift certificate for a massage.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the gift is always dependent on the personality, hobbies, and likes of the recipient. There is no "one size fits all" when it comes to personal gifts. If the man is sporty, then sports equipment of his choice will do. If the man is into gardening, then gardening equipment will do. The key is to know what are his likes and dislikes. Although if you are looking for generic gifts, then yu can't go wrong with shoes and shirts.

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think one of the best gifts is to give them a trip or vacation of some sort because most of the time fathers are very overworked and having a chance to lay back and get away from it all can be invaluable. Not to mention that it's not as boring as a sock and tie and if you look in the right places you could even find promos that give you about the same price as you would pay for a fancy tie or garment. The only problem with this is that it's a lot more temporary than other physical gifts but hopefully the memories from it will be enough to compensate.