Let's Talk About Popcorn, The Wonderful Movie Food.

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Jason76 • Oct 10, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    :D What do you all think is the best popcorn brand and which brand do you feel is the best for the money? How about if the criteria are lowered to either microwave or stove-top? Does anyone grow their own popcorn? Does anyone have a buttering machine? How do you butter popcorn?

Finally, if you enjoy movie popcorn (as in bought in a theater), then please discuss the price, taste, etc..

#1Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't believe in brand name. I just buy generic ones from farmer's market and cook them in butter. I avoid microwave popcorns because they are known to be cancerous.

3. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I just purchase a big bag of unpopped kernels.

How to prepare:
    1. Grab a cooking pot
    2. Cover the bottom of the pot with cooking oil
    3. Add salt to the cooking oil
    4. Add kernels
    5. Turn the flame up to medium
    6. Cover the pot
    7. Move the pot around to cover all the kernels with oil
    8. Wait until it starts popping
    9. Occasionally move the pot
    10. Wait until they all pop while moving the kernels
    Saves me a lot of money because 5% of a big bag can fill up a medium pot.

4. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely eat popcorn and am just content with buying them. But I find them really bland and would rather just eat junkfood, they are tastier and cheaper.

#4Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  5. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Do not buy Microwave pop corn. They are pretty much cancerous. Just buy regular pop corn and cook it in stove top. Microwave pop corn have additional chemicals that are very harmful to humans.

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    In moderation it might be fine. I mean, what doesn't cause cancer? :rolleyes: However, though, even if you do cook it on the stove top, it's often difficult to get it really buttery. Does anyone have any tips?

7. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    I have actually seen people being taken by the prospects of eating pop corn, especially when it comes to seeing a movie in cinema, they simply can't do without it. There are some that just enjoy eating it ordinarily, probably as a snack, I can't really say for sure.

But there are is this say that, "One man's food, is another man's poison". This is practically what pop corn is to me. I hate it with passion. Just the mere sight of it bugs my stomach. I actually tried eating it once and it was one of my worst eating experience, as particles of the corn got stuck in between my tooth and I really hate poking at my teeth.

8. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I think the best popcorn I popped was the Orville Redenbacher brand of popcorn-and I had a hot-air popper(popper was made by redenbacher also) and it used no oil, just hot air-and you melt the butter on top while its popping. I am not sure though what happened to my popper though, but it made great popcorn-so you might want to try it(I think they still make these). Does anybody remember these commercials back in the mid-80s-It seems like yesterday,but anybody else like this brand of popcorn?

#8Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  9. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    Lol, I never seen brand so far before eating. I mean in theaters here they sell popcorn in bucket directly and I don't think they have some brand on it, or may be I have never notice. Anyway, the price of popcorn in theater is too high, so I rarely go for it. Yes if I am with kids then it is hard to avoid, otherwise I would like to go to some restaurant and eat something than eating popcorn in theaters.

10. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    We eat popcorn made in the house, my wife makes them and she adds butter or cheese on them occasionally but not always. I know that the microwaves popcorn are dangerous and we avoid them as much as possible.

11. sommax

sommaxMember

Threads:
    @TheKnight@TheKnight Good to know some persons do make there own popcorn. The first time I tried making my own popcorn, I made a mess of it. But now, am an expert in that area and sometimes made a little money by selling it.

#11Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2017
  12. tallulah

tallulahActive Member

Threads:
    Great movie, buttered popcorn, slush drink and a chocolate - a winning combination indeed:D. Cinema houses make a lot of money from this area as you are not allowed to bring in any type of food or drink. And it is so weird watching a movie without having something to munch on. If its a super exciting movie though, halfway through, I get so caught up in the movie that I usually end up neglecting my munchies:rolleyes:.

13. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I make my own popcorn on the stove with a medium pot to save money and besides it is healthier and still delicious. I buy a bag of kernels which usually costs me less than a dollar and season it with salt when I cook them. If I ever want to add butter I just melt some butter in a small pot and add it the popcorn when it is already made. You can pop the popcorn using oil or butter either works just fine.

14. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    If you're selling them, I think it's just best to purchase a popcorn machine since that produces more popcorn and will most likely save you more money in the long run as well as earn you more money. They're a good investment and especially since popcorn kernel bags aren't expensive at all.

15. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    What I have noticed is that popcorn is often expensive in a theater. So one can think of avoiding it some of the time. And even better the thing is that movie may or may not be always end up in the good theater. So you have to also consider about the hygiene part. And that seems to be the way to see about the food being served there. That's what I have noticed as well. Hope things change over a period of time.

16. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I am the kind of person who has been purchasing already prepared popcorn then take it home to eat. I neither bother about the ingredients used nor the preparation method. I am never keen whether it is prepared in a microwave, stove or whatever. But I have learned from your discussion the importance of considering the method of cooking and the ingredients to be sure of quality and prevent negative health issues.