Libraries have changed

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Gelsemium • Mar 25, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For those who haven't noticed the libraries have changed. They are new and modern spaces, with daily newspapers and magazines, access to the internet, gadgets for the kids to play and playrooms, CDs and DVDs and of course books. Any library users here?

2. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I go to the library every once in a while, mine has changed somewhat but I do like the changes. I can see how some people would hate it but I am kind of a "technology nerd" so anything that involves internet and gadgets is always a plus in my opinion.

3. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    Sadly, my libraries are mostly the same. They have computers and internet of course but nothing that new. My school got a brand new library but they have the same old books, though it has wi fi now at least. I've yet to go to a library with playrooms, gadgets and more interactive things. My local libraries have still been slow with adding in technology like ebooks and making it easy to borrow them.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Here in my country the public libraries are new spaces totally, a big investment was made in that area and I think it's great. There are amazing spaces for the kids, we can bring movies, CDs and books home, and I can just be there reading the paper or online while they play.

5. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I think its a good thing that libraries are being revamped and a lot of new interesting spaces and modern technology are being added. I believe that libraries are really important for the community, especially the youth.
    Internet, Social media, gaming, etc. brought about by technological advancement has really made libraries quite obsolete. I just hope these new library changes will encourage people to visit and appreciate the importance of
    books and reading.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is a fact, we pay so many taxes that I am glad to see that some of those are actually being used for something I understand and not mysterious black holes that simply make it disappear. This is a true service to community because it makes that more and more people attend.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here in the Philippines, there seems to be no public libraries, and I have never heard that there's one. The only libraries that I have been to was in school, and back then there was already internet access, but there were no gadgets or educational dvd's yet.

8. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I worked in a library for many years and am thus an avid library supporter. What an amazing resource for access to media of all kinds. I can definitely attest to the fact that a majority patrons probably come into rent DVDs more than books, or perhaps 50/50. Whatever your opinion about that is, it doesn't change the fact that libraries provide a wealth of knowledge and entertainment. I live in a very tiny village in Germany now (moved from the US) and we unfortunately do not have access to a library nearby...It's heartbreaking. Luckily later this year we'll be moving to a bigger city for my masters degree where there are definitely libraries!!

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Been a while since I went into a library, and I have to agree, they are something different now. They serve tea and offer reading space where you can browse a few books or the internet and theater is played from time to time for a small audience. This is a normal evolution in my opinion if you consider just how much e-books replaced the printed versions. I see it as an adapt or die type of evolution. And in this case it's important they adapt for the new generation in order to attract the kids towards knowledge.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It's true. Even one of my old libraries that always seemed like it would never change and stayed out-of-date for the longest time.... is overrun by computers and DVDs now. I think a lot of people only visit there for those reasons. It's great that people can rent free movies from them, but it's really not what a library has been for all the years before. I do understand why they aren't the same and they do need to change unfortunately, but it's still sad. :(

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Actually I think this was a positive change, times have changed and libraries have changed with it. Not many people read physical books anymore, so other supports are necessary and available, it's just the way it is. Also, there are also great spaces to study, I think that is a huge plus.

12. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I take my youngest two children to the library on Friday mornings. They have a Bounce and Rhyme session where mums and their toddlers/ babies meet and have some musical fun. My mum comes and then sits for half an hour at the jigsaw table there. They have lots of different community groups that meet there and the police use ti for community meetings too. I rarely go to actually get a book out because I have so many at home already.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I haven't been to a library in a very long time, and I doubt that ours are as modernized as in other countries. College libraries might be able to keep up, but I doubt our public libraries are being paid as much attention to, although, I do guess that they at least now have internet in them. I had completely forgotten that libraries existed, though, and just because I was reminded here, I'm soon going to be visiting one just to see if I was right or wrong in my assumptions.

14. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's pretty much what I do with mine lizzie, the library is 5 minute walking from my older one school, so if it's good weather and I'm not too busy we just pop into the library and stay there for a while. They can even bring a book or other thing home, they have their own personal card and they feel really important using it. :)