Libraries?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by crimsonghost747 • Mar 13, 2014.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Considered as old school by some, kind of myself included, but they are a great place to get books for free. It's really the perfect solution, you get the book that you want (and more than often also find ones you weren't even looking for) and it's 100% free. And on top of that, it will not be left to decorate your room when you are done reading... I guess a couple of books as decoration might be nice but if you read two books per month, in 10 years you'll be looking at 240 books to store.

So, how many of you go to the library instead of the book store?

2. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I do visit the library but however I prefer to purchase a book sometimes because then I am at leisure to read it in my own time. Also sometimes you havr to wait forever to get a copy of the book you want and sometimes they don't have it. The library where I live now is great because its newly refurbished and huge. But the previous one had hardly any books probably due to people not returning them.

3. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I don't do either one. I am primarily into Ebooks, and Audiobooks. I only use Ebooks when a Audiobook is not available. I fund that i enjoy the book more when all i have to do is listen. Reading those little words in paper books gives me a headache.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of my favorite places is the library to browse the books, the art, the music and meet people of like interest, we have a new beautiful large library that is a pleasure to go to get comfortable read a magazine. I purchase books when the library has a book sale at a good price.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually don't go to either much any more. I find that I can get most books online or at least alternative resources without ever leaving my house. I used to LOVE going to the library, too, but now I just find it kind of a pain to go there, check out books, and then remember to take them back before they're late.

6. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    There are some free online libraries like

but I never got around to using it. There was a book I was going to buy but I found it there for free.

That's nice. I wish I had a large library near me with art and music. I can't imagine meeting someone at a library either. Everyone seems to keep to themselves here. No one browses the same sections as me either :( My libraries are pretty small and crummy.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a library close to where I live. It's much closer than the local bookstore. Anytime I feel bored, I don't mind dropping in and reading a few children's comics. When I feel like it I can borrow a book or two. That beats buying books unless it's an educational book you need for a specific purpose that is.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't visit libraries anymore, ever since I stopped studying, because over here, there really aren't any public libraries, at least none that I know of in my area. I think public libraries aren't common in 3rd world countries.

9. JuLovo

JuLovoNew Member

Threads:
    I've been meaning to visit the library lately. I loved going there when I was younger, like 11-13 years, and just reading a manga (graphic novel) or two in the couch area. Then I'd leave, having checked out a basket of books. I read a LOT back then.

Book stores and places with a small book selection are a lot closer. As much as I've tried to avoid it, I even got into ordering eBooks/Kindle, etc. It's convenient AND cheaper. If I like a book, I'd buy it at some point, if I ended up checking it out first at the library. I did that a couple of times before Kindle existed.

But I plan on going back eventually. I hear some libraries rent out good DVDs and even games, and since the library I went was like three stories tall, I feel they're hiding games somewhere.

10. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I have forgotten when was the last time I visited a library. I don't like renting books because it's time limiting and I have to return it. If I want to buy a book, I'll usually wait for a sale so that I can get it cheap. Besides, I'm a loud talker so staying quiet isn't exactly what I'm good at. Also, some old libraries can be really creepy especially when you're alone.

11. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a library in forever and i blame internet for that. It's just too easy for us nowadays to get the information we need through the internet so really that's why people ditch the library altogether. It's sad that libraries are sort of becoming less relevant nowadays though.

12. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't take advantage of the local library system, although it's a great system for those that prefer libraries. I say system because there are over 10 libraries within a 30 minute drive of my home in San Diego. You can order books from one library and have them sent to the one closest to your home, and one membership card gets you into every library in the county. It's a fantastic system of libraries, and I know that a lot of areas that don't have such a great luxury. I should probably use the library more often than I currently do.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Until my college days, I spent quite a lot of time reading books in the library. Those were some of the best days I had. But after college I rarely get the time to read in library. I prefer to read ebonised these days that I find quite useful when I have nothing else to do.

14. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Are you kidding me? I predominantly use the library for pretty much everything, from books, to magazines, to music, to movies. I've recently downloaded the "Overdrive" app where I can check out electronic books and audio books through my library (also free). My kids probably hate me because every time they want to buy a book my first response is, "I'm sure we can find it at the library."

Don't get me wrong. I own tons of books. I like to shop 2nd hand book stores and the first place I look through at any Goodwill or thrift store is the book shelf, but I use the library a ton. My holds list is always long as I'm typically waiting on new releases.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Libraries can be the hub of a town and yes the internet has led to a slight decrease, but for some people it's essential. I like the reference section and also the magazines and it's a place to study or read in quiet. More libraries struggle with funding and I hope people use them to keep them going. I find spending time in the library relaxing, but many libraries have had cuts, so are only open certain days and hours now.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would go to the library anytime of the day. I've always been a library junkie back when I was a student. I often borrowed books from the Literature section and feast my eyes on a number of classics, poetry compilations and short story anthologies. I can't access my favorite library anymore, though, since I'm no longer a student. Our public library is rather outdated too, so I try to save up a portion of my income to build my own private library or read online for free.

17. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I've since stopped going to bookstores a long time ago, because of the annoyingly rude people that work and attend such places. The workers are always eying me if I'm going to steal or cause trouble, and the other customers are always getting in my way of the books I want to get or they take up what little reading area there is.

I like libraries because it's a much more quieter, people are more respectful, the workers mind their own business, and most people come in knowing what they're looking for and do not linger at the place too long. I myself, usually reserve my copies ahead of time and pick it up whenever it arrives, or I search quickly for a subject, find the section where it is located, find a interesting book in that subject, and either read that book there or take it immediately home.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to a library for myself in many years. And I'm disappointed in myself for that, because I keep meaning to be more supportive of them. I'm not even one of those people who prefer ebooks.. I find them annoying. It's just so much easier to buy a cheap book in a couple of clicks or download it and suffer through reading it online lol. Pretty lazy of me. These are great treasures we all still have and we definitely all should be more supportive to keep them alive.

19. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to check out a lot of library books, but we moved where the library is not very close, and it is through downtown traffic to get to it. Now, I use the online library with Overdrive on my iPad. You can't get as many books online as you can if you actually go to thelibrary; but they have a good selection, and it seems like they are adding more ebooks all of the time.
    They also have the audiobooks online. I don't really like audiobooks, but I know that a lot of people do like them, and there are quite a few that are nowonline that you can borrow.
    If I was closer to a library, I don't know if I would still go or not. I really have come to like reading on the Kindle or the iPad, instead of messing with a regular book.
    These are also a whole lot easier to return, and you can never be charged anyoverdue book fines like you can with a library book.

20. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Hey @Sidney, which country are you from? I ask because you mentioned "third world countries" in your comment. As for me, I think I prefer a physical book, because, I can "handle" myself better with the book, eBooks just seem like it's through a screen, which is really what it is-it's just so distant, and so,I can't feel as close to it as I would feel with a physical book, so, I still go to the library for books to read for that reason.